PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - DD is not eating at school?

isadij
08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
WWYD, if anything?

Background - up until this year, parents would send snack and lunch to school. Starting this year (school started a couple of weeks ago), the school hired a chef and parents are not to send any food or drink to the school. It is a very small private school and there are no choices of food, they just make one thing for everyone.

Well, my tiny skinny kindergartener does not eat anything of what they are giving her. She is at school 8:30am-3:15pm. I am getting upset and it's making me so sad; of course she is starving by the time I pick her up. She is very picky and stubborn but she does eat at home - loves meats, chicken, tuna, some fruits, some veggies, some cheese. But no pasta, sandwiches, nothing too "mixed up/complex", which is what they are giving at school.

Some of the lunch menu items so far: vegetable ratatouille, spinach lasagna, asparagus stirfry, paella, and several pasta dishes. She won't have any of it, it seems she does take a tiny bit to taste and that's it. She just drinks water and sometimes milk at lunch, but lately says it's 'yucky'. *sigh* I'm all for trying new things and healthier options, but can't they pick more kid-friendly food every now and then (which doesn't seem likely based on the menu for the next couple of weeks)!
Thanks!

Jupiter
08-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I can't believe that you cannot send lunch in with your child. I would go in and speak with the principal and explain that your child is not eating.

Ceepa
08-21-2012, 06:14 PM
At that age shouldn't the kids have someone noting whether they have gone days without eating lunch? Are sides offered? I would hate to think she's trying to get by on a sip of milk and water.

Bring it up with the school: Your DD doesn't sound that picky to me and I bet there are other children who aren't eating the prepared meals.

misshollygolightly
08-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Hmm. I haven't btdt, so take this with a grain of salt. I do understand why the school is discouraging parents from sending in lunches, and I admire and appreciate their strategy in terms of serving healthy, freshly prepared foods. I think they're banking on the fact that most kids will grow accustomed to this new healthier diet and even acquire a taste for it (especially if there aren't a lot of other options, and if their friends are also eating it instead of bringing in lunchables or whatnot). Also, they probably have to discourage lunches from home while they're trying to establish their new lunch program. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd try it a bit longer--give it a month or so and see if your DD does start to change her mind about the food (especially once some of the dishes have been served more than once and so become more familiar). I would make sure she's eating a good breakfast in the mornings and a good snack after school (both with protein).

Surely the school is offering some sides to go with these main dishes, so even if your dd doesn't like the paella, aren't there some carrots or apples or bread sticks to go with it? If so, then I really wouldn't stress too much about whether she's eating the adventurous main dish--encourage her to try everything, but remind her that she can always eat the sides even if she dislikes the main. If the school truly isn't serving anything other than a big plate of ratatouille, well I think it would be perfectly reasonable to bring it up with the administration and ask for some kid-friendly side items. I think it's pretty rare for elementary kids to eat everything on their tray, regardless of whether it's gourmet, veg-heavy stuff like you describe or the cardboardy rectangular pizza I remember eating. I think lots of kids pick and choose among the sides and mains, leaving at least one or two items practically untouched.