PDA

View Full Version : IKEA Expedit

mackmama
08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
I am going to buy 2 Expedit units for our playroom. I want white, and I see it's available in either "white" or "high gloss white." Which should I get? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to the high gloss? I'm thinking it could look kind of cool...

tmahanes
08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I think the high gloss is new, i am pretty sure that was not an option at my store when i bought mine about 9 months ago. you might have to be the guinea pig. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OKKiddo
08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Just bought one at Ikea in the High Gloss white. We touched and played with both and I LOVE the High Gloss finishes on their new line! The old finish is paper laminated onto the wood and this new high gloss is almost like plastic fused over it. It is easy to wipe off and my kiddos aren't going to be able to scratch or nick it as well.

justlearning
08-21-2012, 09:12 PM
The finish on my birch expedit has held up great for many years. I don't have personal experience with the high gloss but have noticed that the floor samples look bad in our store. It looks like the gloss finish scratches off. Do the floor samples in your store look ok? Maybe you could take one of their baskets and slide it into a high gloss expedit and see if anything happens.

essnce629
08-22-2012, 02:03 AM
I have FIVE expedit units in the birch color and they still look brand new after several years. I was actually at Ikea today and the one thing I noticed about the high gloss white units in the store is that they really showed finger prints. I would go with the regular white because of that.

Rainbows&Roses
08-22-2012, 02:34 AM
The birch are my favorite, but we just needed to buy a new one and my DD wanted white. The only reason I let her get white is because the high gloss one looks sooo much better than the regular white. It looks like a much higher end piece of furniture.

mackmama
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm going to head back over to IKEA this afternoon to look at the high-gloss. I was worried about fingerprints and scratches, so I'll see how they all look in the store. I'll keep ya posted!

jerseygirl07067
08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't remember if my store had the high gloss white when I bought mine recently, I went for matte white since they're in the bedroom and their furniture is white. If the room gets a lot of light, I could see fingerprints being more visible. Then again we have stainless appliances so it doesn't get worse than that!

I LOVE mine! Have fun with your purchase!

mackmama
08-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I bought the high-gloss and set it up tonight. While in the store, I brought along a Magic Eraser and tried it out to make sure it didn't remove the high-gloss finish - and it didn't. Love it!!

OKKiddo
08-23-2012, 09:01 AM
I bought the high-gloss and set it up tonight. While in the store, I brought along a Magic Eraser and tried it out to make sure it didn't remove the high-gloss finish - and it didn't. Love it!!

Good to know about the magic eraser, thanks! I love ours in high gloss because I only had a to wipe with a paper towel to get the crayon marks off (I really do need to track down every last non-washable crayon and rid my house of them!).