PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a FB page for the sole purpose of...

ha98ed14
08-21-2012, 08:50 PM
keeping up with school activities (PTA) and dance school and other activities that communicate mostly via FB?

We take part in several orgs that don't use their websites to update info; they do it on their fb page. I am not on fb much. What I do have, I don't want to display it to the new community of 'rents I'm going to be meeting as DD enters K this year. But I do want to stay plugged in to the school stuff. WDYT? I wouldn't post anything, just subscribe to stuff, etc.

MamaMolly
08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
I think it is a great idea. Wish I'd thought of it before all my ILs friended me! Young case your avatar is your photo you might enter to change it, just so you don't have any one asking.

wellyes
08-21-2012, 09:21 PM
If you have your profile private, then people in groups will not be able to access your stuff. I'm in a bunch of groups. Not only do I not get the updates from people in the groups that I'm not friends with -- I can't see their profiles no matter what I try. (Which I do just to see how I will look to them, know what I mean??)

It can't hurt to set a second one up, it's just extra work logging in and off. FB is designed to give you access to groups without exposing everything.

amldaley
08-21-2012, 09:40 PM
You can make it as private as you want. You don't even have to use your real name or you can set it so that when someone searches for you, they can not find you but you can go join groups, etc. When you set up your account, each layer of privacy is explained.

SnuggleBuggles
08-21-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd use your real name. I have made some really good friends through the boys' schools. I can't see going out of my way to avoid being part of the school community. You will probably go to meetings and events- they'll know you that way. Set your profile settings tight if you want to but be yourself on the group. My school has a group and it is a good resource and community.

Green_Tea
08-21-2012, 10:37 PM
I'd use your real name. I have made some really good friends through the boys' schools. I can't see going out of my way to avoid being part of the school community. You will probably go to meetings and events- they'll know you that way. Set your profile settings tight if you want to but be yourself on the group. My school has a group and it is a good resource and community.

:yeahthat:

If you don't use your real name, how will people find you? I know some people like to keep their profiles on lockdown (I do, too!) but I want to be searchable. Facebook is how parents keep in touch at our school. Pretty much every playdate and sleepover my kids have had has been worked out through Facebook! You don't have to be completely transparent, but you also don't want to cut yourself off from the community. For better or for worse, this is how people are keeping in touch and communicating.

ha98ed14
08-21-2012, 11:11 PM

If you don't use your real name, how will people find you? I know some people like to keep their profiles on lockdown (I do, too!) but I want to be searchable. Facebook is how parents keep in touch at our school. Pretty much every playdate and sleepover my kids have had has been worked out through Facebook! You don't have to be completely transparent, but you also don't want to cut yourself off from the community. For better or for worse, this is how people are keeping in touch and communicating.

This is what I am finding. The dance school where DD goes posts everything to fb, and only a few things actually make it on to their website. If I set up a FB acct for the purposes of following my kid's and school's activities, I would use my real (married) name, which is the same as DD's. (I use my maiden professionally, which I prefer as it keeps my worlds separate. I can't explain why I don't want IRL people to know all my business. I just don't like the idea that a parent I meet at the 3 hour Kinder Orientation can go home and google me and know where I work, what university I went to and who my friends are. But FWIW, I do/did intend to use my real name on a following-school-activities-account because I do want to be "plugged in" to the community.

Green_Tea
08-21-2012, 11:29 PM
This is what I am finding. The dance school where DD goes posts everything to fb, and only a few things actually make it on to their website. If I set up a FB acct for the purposes of following my kid's and school's activities, I would use my real (married) name, which is the same as DD's. (I use my maiden professionally, which I prefer as it keeps my worlds separate. I can't explain why I don't want IRL people to know all my business. I just don't like the idea that a parent I meet at the 3 hour Kinder Orientation can go home and google me and know where I work, what university I went to and who my friends are. But FWIW, I do/did intend to use my real name on a following-school-activities-account because I do want to be "plugged in" to the community.

You can make all that stuff private on FB - PM me if you need help figuring it out! When someone searches for me, all they can see is my name and profile picture. They can't find out who I am friends with or my employer or college info until I accept a friend request or send them one.

ETA: I'm not saying you shouldn't make a separate FB page if that's what you want to do, just that it's probably possible to use your current one to save yourself the effort of dealing with two accounts.

ha98ed14
08-21-2012, 11:44 PM
You can make all that stuff private on FB - PM me if you need help figuring it out! When someone searches for me, all they can see is my name and profile picture. They can't find out who I am friends with or my employer or college info until I accept a friend request or send them one.

ETA: I'm not saying you shouldn't make a separate FB page if that's what you want to do, just that it's probably possible to use your current one to save yourself the effort of dealing with two accounts.

THANK YOU for this! I may email you for support. I'm just tired tonight. I also want to go to the orientation and take the temperature of all the other moms. It may be a super friendly group, or it may be a cooler crowd, in which case, you get a little more time to collect yourself before being "on display." I feel like going to the Kinder Orientation is like the first day of high school. :hysterical:

HannaAddict
08-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Don't be worried, these are parents of classmates. Not quite sure what your fear is, being judged? I would try and not be too uptight about it but use privacy settings as needed. My FB is boring though, not much excitement or things to critique.

roseyloxs
08-22-2012, 04:42 AM
You can make all that stuff private on FB

:yeahthat: Furthermore you could just not fill most of it out. I signed up a long time ago but I am pretty sure most info you fill out is optional. I am guessing all you really need is a name, birthdate and email and I am pretty sure the last two can be kept private.

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Don't be worried, these are parents of classmates. Not quite sure what your fear is, being judged? I would try and not be too uptight about it but use privacy settings as needed. My FB is boring though, not much excitement or things to critique.