PDA

View Full Version : Quality of different backpack brands esp Jansport

american_mama
08-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Somehow I've gotten to having a 2nd and 5th grader without making many backpack purchases. Is there really a big difference between a cheap Walmat or Old Navy backpack and the ones that are more expensive? DD1 saw a Janpsort that she liked for $40, and while that is a brand that I would normallly trust, it didn't seem all that strong or durable to me. Is a backpack under $30 destined to rip by the end of the year?

DD1 used a cheap backpack from TJ Maxx for 2 years in K and 1st grade, and it it still in good shape. Then again, those young grades are perhaps the lightest use years for backpacks. Then I bought LL Bean backpacks at an outlet (so cheap), and they have both held up well for two years except for the top loop, which has torn out, frayed, etc.

Ideally, the backpack will last two years or more. Will I have to pay $40ish for that to happen?

Nu_mama
08-21-2012, 10:25 PM
I still have (and occassionally use) my Jansport backpack that I got 14 years ago. That said, I have looked at new ones in various department stores and they just don't seem to be the same quality. I would imagine you could get at least one year out of a new Jansport though.

SnuggleBuggles
08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
I would spend the $ on LE or LL Bean b/c how they stand behind their products. Jansport is fine but I'd pick one of the others. And I would totally skip cheap ones at ON and such.

Green_Tea
08-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I just bought my girls Jansport backpacks, and while I would agree that they don't feel quite as sturdy as an LL Bean backpack, they have a pretty good warranty policy: http://www.jansport.com/js_warranties.php

DD1 is in 4th grade, and DD2 is going into 3rd. I told them these bags need to last until 6th grade. Their old backpacks from LL Bean were getting too small.

I bought them from Nordstrom Rack ($30) and Ebags ($35). Some designs are as low as $25 with Prime on Amazon. I was at Target yesterday and didn't see many backpacks for less than $30 so I don't feel like I overpaid.

khm
08-21-2012, 11:55 PM
For me, one kid has an Lands End backpack that is..... 4 years old, the other kid has a LL Bean messenger that is on it's third year. Both are perfect, not a bit of wear or aging. They aren't even dirty!

However, neither kid cares a lick about the quality. They are sad sad sad to not get new cheapie backpacks each and every year. Sigh. Something to consider.

I kind of wish I'd have bought MYSELF a nice Timbuk2 or Crumpler and left them to the "cute" $10 Target specials. I hate buying disposable stuff, but I'll be letting them pickout whatever junky bag they want next year. (I meant to do it this year and ran out of time shopping-wise, now that schools started they have moved on.)

cntrymoon2
08-22-2012, 02:18 AM
I have two shredded Jansports sitting in my closet. I wouldn't buy another one. I don't think they hold up to wear and tear well.

new_mommy25
08-22-2012, 06:50 AM
I only used Jansport when I was a kid. I would use the same one for several years until it got too dirty and gross (used to draw on them with sharpie and white out!). They were awesome. The ones these days don't look that awesome. I was looking at some today and they didn't even have the leather bottom that the bags I had did. DD and DS both have Lands End bags. They also have LL Bean bags for other things. I didn't pay $40, bought them mid year on clearance, and they've held up well. DD really wants the Garnet Hill pony bag but I'm on the fence since it's hard to justify a new bag when hers is perfectly good (albeit "plain" according to DD).

maestramommy
08-22-2012, 07:19 AM
I started venturing into quality backpacks last year. I got Dora an LE small haul for K, and she is using it again this year, because although there's some dirt, it's otherwise in great shape. I just got Arwyn an LLBean backpack (can't remember the line now, it's blue with flowers), and I expect that to last at least a couple of years. I would LOVE for these backpacks to least 4-5 years, then they could use them through 4th grade, before getting a new one for middle school.

I wouldn't spend $40 on a backpack though. I always buy when they are having their clearance sales. I've always paid less than $20, including shipping.

amldaley
08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
I just finally ditched my Jansport as the leather in the bottom had begun to rot from something being spilled on it in the garage. I purchased it in 1992 and used it regularly for 6 years and then occassionally for another 13.

That said, just b/c it will last does not mean your kids will want to have the same backpack for their entire scholastic careers.

TwoBees
08-22-2012, 08:30 AM
I always had LLB bookpacks, and loved them. I still have several, including the one that lasted through all of high school (and a LOT of weight and stuffing).

Then I bought LL Bean backpacks at an outlet (so cheap), and they have both held up well for two years except for the top loop, which has torn out, frayed, etc.

LLBean will replace these for you. Call them...then there is no need to buy new packs.

ang79
08-22-2012, 08:40 AM
I had a Jansport I used all throughout high school and college. At one point the zipper broke (it kept splitting and not zipping right), and I only had to pay shipping to the company and they fixed the zipper and mailed it back, so less than $5 to have it fixed. The only reason I got rid of it was because it got a whole in the bottom, but it was from something sharp, not from everyday use.

I wanted to get an LE or LLB backpack for DD1 (starting K this year), but wasn't crazy about any of the sale patterns and didn't want to spend $35-$40 on a backpack. MIL ended up buying both girls ones from the Disney store when they were on sale. I figured its her first year of school and she's not too rough on her stuff, so let her have the cheapy one and then when she starts to carry more stuff and needs a more durable bag, I'll hopefully be able to find a good clearance price on LE or LLB.

american_mama
08-22-2012, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=TwoBees;3577799
LLBean will replace these for you. Call them...then there is no need to buy new packs.[/QUOTE]

You know, I thought of that when the first one ripped, but hadn't thought of it since. I know LL Bean would replace them, but I also wonder if that top loop pulling out is normal wear and tear. My kids hang it by that top loop at school, so it bears a lot of weight. Then again, I think the top loop are commonly used for this purpose and should be better designed to withstand it. I also think they should be designed/placed to better balance the weight of the backpack, so I guess I have a different vision for the top loop than most manufacturers.

Do people think you should return a backpack to LL Bean or Lands End when it is damaged as part of normal wear and tear? If it was subpar, I think that's what their guarantee is for, but for normal wear and tear?

TwoBees
08-22-2012, 08:52 AM
You know, I hadn't thought of doing that right now to avoid needing to buy new ones. I know LL Bean would replace them, but I also wonder if that top loop pulling out is normal wear and tear. My kids hang it by that top loop at school, so it bears a lot of weight.

Do people think you should return a backpack to LL Bean or Lands End when it is damaged as part of normal wear and tear? If it was subpar, I think that's what their guarantee is for, but for normal wear and tear?

When the first one ripped, I did think about calling LL Bean, but I felt like I'd be blamed because I had actually taken out the stitching of the loop on one side to fix another problem, then re-sewn it, and my tinkering was apparent. It was actually the side I never touched that pulled out, but I still felt like someone at LL Bean would think dirty thoughts about me for returning an item for a flaw that I seemingly created.

I think it depends on how much weight your kids put in the packs. Judging by their ages, I don't think they have enough weight in them to rip. I don't ever remember the top handles of my packs ripping, but I didn't hang them. And I certainly don't think it should happen within 1 or 2 years. So yes, I personally think this falls within their guarantee. Not so sure about the "tinkering" part though. But you could call them and explain the situation, and ask. Maybe they will offer you credit towards a new one, reducing the price to something within your budget. My experiences with them have always been positive.