PDA

View Full Version : Quick glasses help re: stores

AmyZ
08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
What is your favorite and cheap B&M store for kiddo glasses? My 5 year old has a slight prescription, and needs glasses to see the board.

What places have the best deals? Lenscrafters? Costco? Other mall places?

We already have the prescription.

SnuggleBuggles
08-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Do you have insurance? That would be a deciding factor to me. We have insurance and it costs the same then for us to buy a really nice pair at the eye Dr. or a not as good pair without insurance at Costco. We've lost several pairs in the past 2 years so we have had to go the Costco route until we were eligible for new benefits.

m448
08-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Costco. Both of my boys just got glasses last week and they were 88 per complete pair. they won't file ins but we submitted for reimbursement. at the eye doc it was going to be 220 per pair after our vision discount.

waitingforgrace
08-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Walmart for kids glasses, or Costco.

connor_mommy
08-21-2012, 11:21 PM
We've lost several pairs in the past 2 years so we have had to go the Costco route until we were eligible for new benefits.

That's good to know! We're getting our first pair just for class and homework use. I might get a second pair at Costco just in case my son forgets to bring his home from school.

roobee
08-22-2012, 12:04 AM
I saw an ad for JCPenney that said kids glasses were $25. The $25 price includes the frames, scratch resistant lenses and a protection plan.

http://www.jcpenneyoptical.com/kids-eyeglasses.html

daniele_ut
08-22-2012, 12:06 AM
We have used Costco, Target and Wal-Mart.

I'm a HUGE Costco fan, but our glasses experience for DS was only so-so there. They sized him incorrectly so his glasses never fit right and the frames did not hold up well.

Target had a promotion in our area 2 years ago for a free pair of glasses for any child age 5-12. There were no strings and a lot of frames to choose from. We did pay $25 for the replacement insurance and they replaced his glasses with no questions asked 10 months later for a $25 co-pay. Their service was great and the glasses fit well and were great quality.

We went to Wal-Mart this winter for DS's eye exam and new glasses to try to save a bit of money and ended up with the exam, 1 full pair of glasses and new lenses for his existing pair for around $150. The doc was great and the service was as well. His glasses fit perfectly and the scratch resistant coating is still doing well 6 months later.

SoloMelody
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
I saw an ad for JCPenney that said kids glasses were $25. The $25 price includes the frames, scratch resistant lenses and a protection plan.

http://www.jcpenneyoptical.com/kids-eyeglasses.html

Our local store said this promo runs thru 9/15, even though their online advertisement says 8/31.

HTH somebody...

squimp
08-31-2012, 02:34 PM
YMMV but I didn't have a good Costco experience either. The glasses were not durable and they would not repair them. Every other shop we've gone to will repair them for free.

tabegle
08-31-2012, 02:38 PM
America's Best Contact's and Eyeglasses. www.twopair.com
(www.twopair.com)

Two pairs of complete eye glasses plus exam for $69.95. Of course, those are the cheapest glasses with no extras. It's nice to have the extra pair.

Kindra178
08-31-2012, 03:30 PM
I had a terrible Costco glasses experience for myself. I had heard such great things from everyone I know about how wonderful it was. I have a slightly complicated prescription (high myop plus a slight astigmatism) and they couldn't get it right, even after several tries (and several tries of me dealing with terrible, terrible headaches). I have returned to buying glasses from a traditional glasses store, the kind who sells frame brands like lafont. I know a kids' prescription is going to be lower than mine, but we will stick to local glasses store when my boys need glasses.

Maxlee
08-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Our local store said this promo runs thru 9/15, even though their online advertisement says 8/31.

HTH somebody...

:yeahthat: I just picked up a spare pair Of glasses at JC Penny for my daughter for $25 - great deal! They also told me sale is until sept 15th