PDA

View Full Version : Activities / leaving child in house?

PMJ
08-22-2012, 02:56 PM
What activities do you do that are quick enough for you to leave your child unattended at home for a short period of time?

I'm talking a Toddler -

Checking the mailbox, taking the dog out for a quick potty break?

I always lock the door (live in an apt) and am gone for maybe 2-3 minutes.

I try not to do it often, but don't have a choice when she is napping.

Is this okay? (I guess if I'm doubting myself, then maybe it's not....)

vonfirmath
08-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Running in and out to the car to bring things in/take stuff out.

I've never been comfortable to do any further.
How far away is your mailbox?

Couldn't you take the dog out by standing on your stoop? We've never had a toddler and a pet at the same time.

PMJ
08-22-2012, 03:05 PM
I've never been comfortable to do any further.
How far away is your mailbox?

Couldn't you take the dog out by standing on your stoop? We've never had a toddler and a pet at the same time.

Mailbox is downstairs - we are on the 2nd floor.

Again the way building is, would not be able to see DD and take pet out at the same time. She sometimes stands in window and looks at me; usually I do take her when she is awake and is in the mood.

vonfirmath
08-22-2012, 03:28 PM
we were in a 2nd floor apartment when DS was born. I left him sleeping/in a pack and play while I ran groceries and stuff in and out. And when I did laundry (which was downstairs too) I did it after he went to bed if I couldn't manage it when my husband was home.
But it still made me nervous!

katydid1971
08-22-2012, 03:30 PM
never mind

BabyBearsMom
08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
I will run groceries in and out of the car. I will get the mail (we live in a townhouse on a circle, mailbox is directly across the circle and I can see the door). I usually walk the dog to the mailbox and back or make him go in the backyard/front yard if I need to get him out and the girls are home.

elektra
08-22-2012, 03:34 PM
If you live in an apartment I don't see how you could survive without being able to run down for laundry or mail once in awhile!
Sure, you could fall and break your neck on the steps on the way down, leaving your child stranded, but what are the chances? I might just make sure I take my phone with me and make sure my child is reasonable secure (ex. no knives laying around if I am in the middle of chopping something for dinner, door locked where they can't open it, etc.) or even better if they are napping.

I live in a single family dwelling but I leave my kids in the house to get the mail at the curb or even to chat with a neighbor in the front yard for a few minutes.

khalloc
08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Well I live in a single family home in a suburban neighborhood. Houses are one about 1/3 acre lots. I do anything outside in my yard. I would talk to a neighbor across the street if I wanted. I can still see the house and stuff like that.

doberbrat
08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I agree with Electra. If she's napping, I dont see much issue at all. I live in a house but I go downstairs to do laundry, outside to scoop the poop or even to clean out my car. Even if dd2 is awake. I make sure she cant get out and nothing hazardous is out. We have a locking gate to prevent access to the kitchen.

I wouldnt go to the store or anything but anything on/near the property for a very brief period of time is probably ok. esp if you leave a monitor on and take the it with you.

But, you know your kid and your neighborhood.

nfowife
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I will check the mail or wait for the bus (which stops at our mailbox). We live on an acre and have a long driveway, but it's still only about 75 feet from my door I would guess, to the street.

wellyes
08-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. You're OK. Assuming you're talking the dog out for walks when the kid is awake!

BabbyO
08-22-2012, 04:01 PM
I run down to do laundry all the time with DS1 awake. If I'm going to be there for awhile (pretreating, sorting, etc) I bring him down, but he's still playing in the next room. I have NO problem running out to the curb to check the mail and chatting with a neighbor. As a matter of fact, I was chatting with a neighbor while both boys were sleeping just a week or so ago. I did grab the monitor (so I'd at least here if something were going on in one of their rooms - even if I couldn't tell exactly what).

My bigger problem lately is DS1 has figured out the door locks and gone outside without our knowledge/asking first! GAHHH...he was put in time out for that one.

BabyBearsMom
08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Sure, you could fall and break your neck on the steps on the way down, leaving your child stranded, but what are the chances?.

This could happen in the house with your kid too, so I wouldn't use that as a reason not to be there.