PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good price for Stanley Furniture?

Binkandabee
08-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Finally found DD a set of furniture on our local CL. Its Stanley brand and includes a cottage style sleigh bed, nightstand, dresser with mirror and bookcase. It's in great condition and 6 years old. The seller is asking $850.00...is this a good price?

I've never price Stanley furniture before so I have no idea what the cost is from a furniture store to be able to determine what is fair for used.

MamaSnoo
08-22-2012, 04:18 PM
I assume you are talking about Stanley Young America. They probably paid in the neighborhood of $2500-$3500 for all those pieces if purchased new 6 years ago, depending on the line and the prices at the store where purchased.

This may be from the era when they had their manufacturing in China, before they moved it back to the US. Some people here on the BBB have had quality complaints about the China version of the products. We have owned some pieces MIC and some made in the US. I have not found the quality differences to be enormous. I do think the drawers pull more smoothly on our US dressers than our MIC ones.

I would go look at the set for that price if it meets you needs!

HTH!

boolady
08-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Finally found DD a set of furniture on our local CL. Its Stanley brand and includes a cottage style sleigh bed, nightstand, dresser with mirror and bookcase. It's in great condition and 6 years old. The seller is asking $850.00...is this a good price?

I've never price Stanley furniture before so I have no idea what the cost is from a furniture store to be able to determine what is fair for used.

If that price is for all of it, it's a good price.

Binkandabee
08-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Yes, Stanley Young America.

Interesting...I didn't know about the made in China issue. I thought Stanley was always made in the USA. I will certainly look at the quality of the drawers to make sure they are well made.

It does meet our needs exactly. I've been looking since November and not a single thing has come up like this, so I'm inclined to go for it.

Thank you for the helpful input!

Binkandabee
08-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Did a little research and it's the Caroline collection if that helps.

Binkandabee
08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I contacted the company about the MIC issue and was told that it was only the cribs and beds were made in China...the case goods have always been made in the USA. Does this sound correct?

MamaSnoo
08-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Might be true--it is sort of funny, though, because we bought a convertible crib and 2 dressers from them at a time when at least some of their manufacturing was MIC, and I thought that the finish was the nicest on the crib of all the pieces- LOL!

I do think that the quality of construction on our case goods from 2012 is better than 2008. Of course, they are also different lines.

It still sounds like a good price, and the Caroline line is really pretty, IMO.

I would (and DID) by Stanley a second time, so I do not think you should worry it too much.

Binkandabee
08-24-2012, 04:24 PM
We're going to pick it up tonight :) Thanks again!

MamaSnoo
08-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Please post a pic of your DD's new room! :D