PDA

View Full Version : Potty training regression?

twotimesblue
08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
DS is 2 years 5 months and has been daytime potty trained since just after his 2nd birthday. Recently, he seems to be regressing - today he wet himself twice at home (even though, before both incidents, I had asked him if he needed the potty and he had insisted he didn't). He also seems to only poop at night, after his overnight diaper has been put on... it's as though he needs to be 'relaxed' and in bed before he can have a BM? Usually DH or I will change him into a clean diaper and he goes right to sleep.

We've started re-reading the potty books (which he loves) and I try sitting him on the potty/toilet at regular intervals but mostly he gets upset and says he doesn't need to go (and won't stay) if I don't catch him at exactly the right time. It's very odd as he was so great with it all, telling me he needed to go poo poo or pee pee with very few accidents, until recently. DC2 is due in a few weeks but I don't think he's unsettled by it (yet), and there have been no major life changes to explain this regression. Help!

brittone2
08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
We had regression here for a bit with DS1. He was really into the potty for about a month or two, then boycotted for a month or two, and then resumed using it. He struggled more with poop due to pretty significant constipation.

What you are describing almost sounds like it could be constipation related. Any chance that is the case? Sometimes softer poop leaks around a bigger blockage, so it may not look like they are constipated.

twotimesblue
08-22-2012, 07:17 PM
I really don't think he's constipated as his BMs are typically soft and he eats a ton of fruit and veg! I'm almost more concerned about the wetting himself issue as he goes to a lot of classes and was very embarrassed last time it happened 'in public'

brittone2
08-22-2012, 07:20 PM
I really don't think he's constipated as his BMs are typically soft and he eats a ton of fruit and veg! I'm almost more concerned about the wetting himself issue as he goes to a lot of classes and was very embarrassed last time it happened 'in public'
Well, constipation can put pressure on the bladder.

This is on older kids and nighttime wetting, but they point out constipation is not always obvious (this was our experience). My DS1 ate lots of high fiber and fruits and veggies and still had constipation issues. A lot of kids that age withhold, and it can set up a really bad cycle.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120127135757.htm

Obviously it doesn't have to be constipation, but it is something I'd look at for my kids, having BTDT.