PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for C25K recommendation

melrose7
08-22-2012, 10:49 PM
I wanted to say thanks to those who have been using and recommend the C25K program. I've always been athletic as I did sports as a kid, in HS, and college. But I played soccer (i still play occassionly now) and was the goalie so running was something I never had to do and always hated. I started walking 45 min 5-6 times a week back in may and then heard aout C25K. Didn't think I would really make it to the end and run but thought just doing the intervals was better than just running. I made it to week 5, I think, and when you are suppose to run for 20 min I thought I would just run my route, which is 3.4 miles, and see how far I could go. I ended up running the whole thing. Couldn't believe it! I never ran more than 1.5 miles before. So I've been continuing it and now knowing I can run it I have no excuses to walk. I'm not fast but at least I am running it. Never thought I would say "I'm going for a run". Thinking about doing an actual 5 K but not sure I will like all the people running faster than me.

n2ou
08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I know, isn't it crazy?

I struggled through weeks 4 and 5. I was traveling a lot and changing time zones but once I got through it, I couldn't believe how far I could run.

I now have switched to the 10k and keep on putting along. Just tonight, I went for a quick 2 miles. Impossible 6 months ago.

Octobermommy
08-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Great work! I love it also & am thinking of a 5k too.

melrose7
08-23-2012, 08:26 AM
I know, isn't it crazy?

I struggled through weeks 4 and 5. I was traveling a lot and changing time zones but once I got through it, I couldn't believe how far I could run.

I now have switched to the 10k and keep on putting along. Just tonight, I went for a quick 2 miles. Impossible 6 months ago.

Wow. Great job. I haven't thought of taking it further and doing the 10k. I think I would like to get a little faster before I think about going further. I only have a chance to run 2-3 times a week now but once school starts back up I hope to get back to 5-6 times a week during nap time. I lost 15lbs since i started in May and I have 12 more lbs To go so hopefully that will happen once I can get into it.

StantonHyde
08-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Do the 5K--its fun. I am not fast either, but your adrenalin gets going and the people keep you motivated. I always turned in my fastest times when I raced. And I was always in a pack of people who looked just like me while the speedsters were in the front. The only thing that really hurts is getting passed by anybody 20 years older than me--wah.