PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE and THANK YOU! I think I'm just going to cry.

happymom
08-23-2012, 12:02 AM
It has been a very long summer. I had an ectopic pregnancy that was very dramatic and painful and took ALL summer long to resolve. Finally, things are back to normal and we have a trip to Orlando planned for next week. We managed to squeeze in a little vacation before school starts because I REALLY need a break. I just need to get away and relax.

Well, I just checked the weather and guess what....its supposed to POUR the entire next week in Orlando. Every. single. day.

I was so looking forward to this. And now we will be stuck inside a villa with a gorgoeous, private pool teasing us right outside the window.

:gloomy:

hopeful_mama
08-23-2012, 12:09 AM
:hug: I'm so sorry you've been going through such a tough time, and the bright spot you've been looking forward to is getting rained on. I hope the weather clears a little, and you can find some ways to have some fun regardless of the rain too. [And if nothing else, remember that the vacations where things go wrong tend to be more memorable over the years than the ones where everything goes perfectly according to plan...]

Best wishes for you all.

crl
08-23-2012, 12:16 AM
:hug: I am so sorry for your loss and I hope that weather forecast is WRONG.

Catherine

daniele_ut
08-23-2012, 12:31 AM
It has been a very long summer. I had an ectopic pregnancy that was very dramatic and painful and took ALL summer long to resolve. Finally, things are back to normal and we have a trip to Orlando planned for next week. We managed to squeeze in a little vacation before school starts because I REALLY need a break. I just need to get away and relax.

Well, I just checked the weather and guess what....its supposed to POUR the entire next week in Orlando. Every. single. day.

I was so looking forward to this. And now we will be stuck inside a villa with a gorgoeous, private pool teasing us right outside the window.

:gloomy:

I can tell you from experience that it always rains in Orlando in August, but usually just for a little while each day. I REALLY hope that's the case for you guys and that you are able to enjoy your vacation!!

elektra
08-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Sorry for all that you went through with the ectopic.
I lived in Orlando one summer and it would pour, it's true, but then it eventually clears right up! Hope it works out.

happymom
08-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys.

If its true about the rain only being for part of the day, I would feel much better. At least we would have a chance to jump in the pool a few times maybe.

If the weather was clear in the afternoons, we could do Seaworld over 2 days in the afternoon. I guess we could check the hourly forecast and get a better idea when it gets closer.

Did I mention that its not even just regular rain...they're talking about Tropical Storm Isaac heading that way. I have no idea if I should be alarmed by this, or if its typical for Florida summers.

Should I be worried about getting stuck there btw?

lcarlson90
08-23-2012, 01:00 AM
I am sorry you have been having such a rough time. I agree with everyone else that it typically only rains for 30 minutes a day unless there is a hurricane in the area. I hope that the weather doesn't dampen your fun.

happymom
08-23-2012, 01:10 AM
I am sorry you have been having such a rough time. I agree with everyone else that it typically only rains for 30 minutes a day unless there is a hurricane in the area. I hope that the weather doesn't dampen your fun.

I'm afraid this is going to be the case.

Oh well.

liz
08-23-2012, 07:07 AM
:hug: Sending positive thoughts your way for good weather and great fun.

WatchingThemGrow
08-23-2012, 07:08 AM
What a bummer! There is a tropical storm out there, and the predictions are for 60% chance of rain. They do change course, dissipate, or land, so just keep your eye on it. My guess is that people who were on the fence about visiting Sea World may not go, so the parks may be less crowded than normal. I'd call and ask, though, just to give you some peace of mind. Do you have trip insurance by chance?

I *love* the calm times before or after the storm. I have such fond memories of hanging out with friends (we were all off work!) during storm weeks in my 20's living on the coast of Florida.

TwinFoxes
08-23-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm really sorry for your loss, that sounds really hard. :hug: I just happened to watch the weather channel, it seems the storm hits early next week. Hopefully the remainder will be bright and sunny.

SnuggleBuggles
08-23-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm so sorry.

No lightning = swim in the rain! I love doing that!

hellokitty
08-23-2012, 08:08 AM
I'm sorry that your vacation might have really bad weather. :hug: You've had a hard summer, I'm hoping that the rain isn't going to be hurricane bad for you.

boogiemomz
08-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Just want to send :hug::hug::hug: for all you have been through. And I hope the clouds part and the sun shines through, literally and figuratively!

kaharris83
08-23-2012, 08:47 AM
:hug: So sorry for your difficult summer. Hoping the weather forecast is wrong and you have beautiful sunshiney days!!

MamaMolly
08-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm so sorry.

No lightning = swim in the rain! I love doing that!

I was going to say the same thing. Pack a light rain coat for outings and let the kids play in the rain.

123LuckyMom
08-23-2012, 09:37 AM
When I was a kid we once did Disney when it rained on and off the entire time. We wore ponchos and brought an extra pair of socks and shoes each and just resigned ourselves to being wet. I still remember that vacation vividly. We splashed in puddles and tipped our heads up to drink. It was fantastic! The only yucky part were meals when we had to sit in air conditioning, but that's what the dry footwear was for. I'm so sorry the vacation won't be what you hoped, but I know you can have fun anyway! I really hope you do. You deserve it!

happymom
08-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks everyone!

We're going to be there Sunday- Thursday with Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as the main days for outings. The weather forecast is predicting the tropical storm in our zipcode on Monday and Tuesday....as you all said, hopefully it is WRONG!!!

If not, I will heed all your great advice....I bought ponchos today, I will pack DD's raincoat, and bring extra shoes for everyone. We will also be bringing Crocs which are great since they're waterproof.

And swimming in the rain does sound fun!! The pool is screened in so it might not even be terrible.

If it hurricanes, I guess we will play lots of games and watch movies :).

I'm trying to keep my chin up here...

Thanks again everyone.

mommylamb
08-23-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm so sorry. Last year we had our vacation cut in half due to hurricane Irene, so I can totally sympathize.

BabbyO
08-23-2012, 03:25 PM
I can tell you from experience that it always rains in Orlando in August, but usually just for a little while each day. I REALLY hope that's the case for you guys and that you are able to enjoy your vacation!!

My sister use to live in Orlando and this is totally the case. In all the times I visited here (at least 2x in Aug/sept) it never rained for an entire day. I think the longest it ever rained was 2 hrs. Then it would clear up and be sunny and I needed to go in the pool! I REALLY hope this holds true for your vacation!

happymom
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
My sister use to live in Orlando and this is totally the case. In all the times I visited here (at least 2x in Aug/sept) it never rained for an entire day. I think the longest it ever rained was 2 hrs. Then it would clear up and be sunny and I needed to go in the pool! I REALLY hope this holds true for your vacation!

I think this applies for a regular rainy day in Florida, but not sure about hurricanes!

cuca_
08-23-2012, 07:37 PM
It might change. Hurricaine forecasts change all the time. Storms get weaker or veer in a different direction. My family is in Puerto Rico and at some point the forecast was that Isaac was going to hit the island. It stayed to the south and the northen side was not affected much. I hope that is also the case for Orlando, so that you can enjoy your vacation.

Melbel
08-23-2012, 07:48 PM
As a native Floridian, I have been through plenty of hurricanes. Often times, hurricanes or tropical storms in the vicinity (but not too close) can lead to sunnier skies outside of the directly impacted area (it is almost as though the storm sucks in all of the clouds/rain). I have also been to Disney plenty of times in the rain. The crowds are thinner and it is cooler. Just be sure to bring ponchos just in case. Hopefully, the storm will veer off into the Gulf.

Afternoon showers are very typical for August.

There were a couple of tropical storms brewing when we were heading to the Bahamas a couple weeks ago. We were worried about rain, but it turned out fine. Try to think positively if you can!

ETA: I am so sorry about your rough summer and ectopic pregnancy. :grouphug:

dcmom2b3
08-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Aw hugs mama. :hug: I'm so sorry this has been a rough summer. Sending anti-hurricane vibes your way!

dcmom2b3
08-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm so sorry this has been a rough summer. :hug: Sending anti-hurricane vibes your way . . .

happymom
08-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the kind thoughts everyone! It really does make me feel better.
And thanks for all the practical info as well- I feel so clueless about all this, so I am really happy to get whatever bits of info that I can!

Does anyone have any idea *when* I would realistically be able to know what the weather will be like? As of now, everything is kind of up in the air (ha, no pun intended) and I just have no idea what will be. Is it always a day-by-day thing, or is it possible I will know on Sunday what the weather will be like for Monday-Thursday?

ETA: Any ideas for fun indoor activities? Besides the typical museums or malls that we could do at home...anything special/unusual that would be doable even if it was pouring all day?

cuca_
08-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have any idea *when* I would realistically be able to know what the weather will be like? As of now, everything is kind of up in the air (ha, no pun intended) and I just have no idea what will be. Is it always a day-by-day thing, or is it possible I will know on Sunday what the weather will be like for Monday-Thursday?

One of my facebook friends posted a projected path from this site. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201209_5day.html. Sites like this (weather.com, etc...) will continuosly update the projected path. It looks like it is predicted to hit Fla. Mon.-Tues. These projections are continuously updated. By Sunday, if not earlier, you will definitely have info. as to whether the storm will continue on this path or not, and how it will affect weather in Fla.

momof2girls
08-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm so sorry about your loss. I went through an ectopic 1.5 yrs ago. It is a slow and emotionally draining process.
I hope you are able to still enjoy your well deserved vacation time. Just think, no cooking, cleaning, to-do list. I wish you a good time regardless of weather!

happymom
08-24-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm so sorry about your loss. I went through an ectopic 1.5 yrs ago. It is a slow and emotionally draining process.
I hope you are able to still enjoy your well deserved vacation time. Just think, no cooking, cleaning, to-do list. I wish you a good time regardless of weather!

Thanks. When I first found out it was ectopic, I had no idea what lay ahead of me. I was devastated, sure, but I thought it would be over in a week or 2. Well it took 2 exhausting and scary months, and included 2 trips to the ER because of severe pain (seriously, worse than my labor with DD), and countless doctor visits.

So needless to say, this vacation has been long-awaited. You are right about the no cooking, cleaning etc. Its all about perspective, isn't it?

randomkid
08-24-2012, 01:37 AM
One of my facebook friends posted a projected path from this site. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201209_5day.html. Sites like this (weather.com, etc...) will continuosly update the projected path. It looks like it is predicted to hit Fla. Mon.-Tues. These projections are continuously updated. By Sunday, if not earlier, you will definitely have info. as to whether the storm will continue on this path or not, and how it will affect weather in Fla.

Not necessarily true. Hurricanes have a mind of their own. In 2004, there was a hurricane headed toward FL and all predictions were to hit Tampa. Tons of people evacuated to Orlando. The storm changed course at the last minute and hit land north of Tampa and came right up through Orlando. All those people from Tampa had to ride out the storm here, then hit the road back home the next day. There have been storms that come in, go back out to sea, then come back again! Hurricanes are crazy and you just never know what they will do. That is why the forecasters are always telling people to be prepared even if the prediction is that it is not expected to hit your area directly. I don't even start watching until the storm gets much closer. I just check the predicted path about once/day, then check more often as it approaches. I suggest the same to you OP. Meterologists tend to get very excited and worked up when there is a storm approaching. They very often sensationalize things just by the virtue of their passion for weather :shrug: :rolleye0014:

Yes, there is a storm out there and yes, you need to be prepared that it may come here. BUT, there was also a storm in the Atlantic the week of my wedding. I just knew our wedding would be cancelled and I was incredibly stressed. Well, it started raining just before our rehearsal dinner and rained almost all day, but there was no hurricane here. It even stopped raining long enough for us to make our exit from the church. It stayed east of us and headed up the coast. The morning after our wedding was one of the most beautiful days ever. If the storm comes close, it will likely rain a lot. If it goes further west, you may not even know there is a storm out there. The good news is, there is very little lightning with hurricanes. The bad news is, if they think it's headed this way, many businesses, including theme parks, will close. Just want you to be prepared.

Just remember, it's still vacation even if it doesn't go as planned. For the past few years, we have spent a week in a condo at the beach and have been very fortunate to have good weather. We did so again this year and it started clouding up everyday around noon and was raining by 1:00, 2 days it rained all day. We just found other things to do and I was glad to not be at home worrying about the day to day things. We watched the Olympics a lot :applause:

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best! As a Florida native, this is my motto during hurricane season. I am sorry you have had such a rough summer and I am hoping for beautiful weather for you!

scriptkitten
08-24-2012, 05:56 AM
I lived in south Florida for 10 yrs. it pretty much rained for 30m every day in the summer. It's not a cold dark dreary rain like in the northeast. It really is a minor thing.

happymom
08-31-2012, 01:17 AM
Just wanted to update....we just got back and we had a FABULOUS trip! All of you wonderful ladies helped me with so many of the details for this trip (sorry for all my annoying questions!) so I just wanted to say thank you.

Our flights all were on schedule. The carseat (Cosco high back booster) was great, although I know it won't be usable for much longer.

The weather was very hot and humid, but it barely rained!! :cheerleader1: I didn't even open my ponchos. There were a few downpours, but luckily we were either in the car or house when they happened. Other than that, there were some drizzles, that actually were refreshing. It was like someone turned a sprinkler on for a few minutes to cool everyone off :). You were all right that I had nothing to worry about!

The villa we stayed in was beautiful. Thanks to all of you who helped me with websites to find this villa.

In terms of activities, we did Legoland and Seaworld. Thanks to mamatomax, we got into Legoland for only $25 a person! It was absolutely perfect for DD. DD went from ride to ride and was thrilled. I was shocked at what a little daredevil she was :) There were no lines at all, which was such a pleasure. Seaworld was ok, but not as fun for DD because all she really wanted was rides. Plus it was unbearably hot.

Overall, it was an amazing trip and I can't wait to do it again!

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

crl
08-31-2012, 01:20 AM
So glad you had fun! :bouncy:

Catherine

randomkid
08-31-2012, 04:06 AM
Yay!!! :yay: I'm so happy for you that your vacation went well. I told you those showers were welcome relief. I hope you also had some time to swim - I think you said there was a pool and that was in your plan. That's the thing about Florida weather - predictably unpredictable!

Melbel
08-31-2012, 06:31 AM
What great news! I am happy to hear that your trip went well. We are a couple hours north of Orlando and have had more intense afternoon showers, but plenty of dry time too. I was hoping the same held true for you. Welcome home!

Momit
08-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Great! So glad you had a nice trip!

liz
08-31-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear your trip went well!

ourbabygirl
08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
Awwww, what a nice update! So glad everything went so well for you guys and that the weather cooperated much better than you expected! :)

boogiemomz
08-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Wonderful!! :yay:

hillview
08-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh I am so happy to hear that! I was thinking of you from time to time when I saw the weather. Glad all went well!

happymom
08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone! Randomkid, we did get to swim- at least once a day :) It was awesome. I can't wait to go back! If anyone is ever looking for a beautiful villa to sleep in when going to Florida, I can PM you the info for this one. Its about a 30 min drive from the attractions, but we didn't mind that.

hellokitty
08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
That's great that your trip ended up being great! I'm happy for you.