PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good book series please

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Looking for something to read next, open to anything but "chick lit". Have already done GOT, Gabaldon, Hunger Games, Divergent, Dragon Tattoo, most of the more typical ones. Many thanks!

BillK
08-23-2012, 08:45 AM
If you're into fantasy - have you read The Dark Elf Trilogy by RA Salvatore?

lizzywednesday
08-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Have you already done the Aurora Teagarden and Lily Bard books by Charlaine Harris? They're short reads, but pretty good.

What about the Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher? (I need to get the rest of these from my coworker.)

If you're open to nonfiction, I also enjoyed Mary Roach's books, Stiff and Bonk, though I found the latter to be slightly more difficult to get into. I'm interested in reading her other book, Spook, because I'm curious about what her spin on it will be. However, they're not exactly a "series" so I'm not sure if they'll meet your requirements!

Have you any particular interest at the moment?

BabyBearsMom
08-23-2012, 08:59 AM
I am reading the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss and they are really good. Also if you are into more sci-fi than fantasy, The Passage is really good and the second book in the series is coming out in October.

If you like YA, I just read the second book in the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver and it is pretty decent. I have also read Matched and Crossed by Allie Condie which is a decent series. Oh, and the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima.

If you are interested in Nonfiction, I just finished listening to Bossy Pants by Tina Fey on Audible and it was hilarious. I'm currently listening to the Steve Jobs Biography by Walter Isaacson and really enjoying that.

If you haven't read it already, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet and the sequel World Without End are very good. It sounds weird because the books are about the building of a Cathedral, but they are excellent.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-23-2012, 09:09 AM
I am reading the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss and they are really good. Also if you are into more sci-fi than fantasy, The Passage is really good and the second book in the series is coming out in October.

If you like YA, I just read the second book in the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver and it is pretty decent. I have also read Matched and Crossed by Allie Condie which is a decent series. Oh, and the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima.

If you are interested in Nonfiction, I just finished listening to Bossy Pants by Tina Fey on Audible and it was hilarious. I'm currently listening to the Steve Jobs Biography by Walter Isaacson and really enjoying that.

If you haven't read it already, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet and the sequel World Without End are very good. It sounds weird because the books are about the building of a Cathedral, but they are excellent.

LOVED the Rothfuss books, as did DH. I did like Pillars so will move onto World Without End, thank you!

psimpson3-5
08-23-2012, 09:17 AM
I was a bit surprised - but I sincerely enjoyed Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy – The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. It was quick moving and very interesting. But I also LOVE the Harry Potter books, so these are quite similar.
Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Materials-Trilogy-Golden-Compass-Spyglass/dp/0375842381/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345727444&sr=8-4&keywords=golden+compass

A more "adult-like" series I enjoyed are 2 books by Katherine Neville - The Eight and The Fire.

llama8
08-23-2012, 09:51 AM
The Maze Runner trilogy

BeachBum
08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Did you read A Discovery of Witches? I really liked that one, but the second one was only OK for me (Shadow of Night), but my friends liked it. The third and final hasn't come out yet.

Sillygirl
08-23-2012, 04:55 PM
I just got The Rook from the library and liked it, it's Xmen meets James Bond with a strong female lead character. The Art of Fielding is more serious but very enjoyable.

sophiesmom03
08-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Did you read A Discovery of Witches? I really liked that one, but the second one was only OK for me (Shadow of Night), but my friends liked it. The third and final hasn't come out yet.

I just got this on kindle- looks fun.

My DH swears by Patrick O'Brian. NMS but the one I read was very well-written and there are a lot of books in the series.

karstmama
08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
another charlaine harris series is the 'grave' series - it's my favorite after sookie.

have you ever read the original ian fleming james bond books? they are fun. really different from the movies, less flashy.

the jan karon 'mitford' books? they are very sweet without quite veering off into pukingly sweet - about an episcopal priest.

Pinky
08-23-2012, 07:48 PM
If you like young adult paranormal type books... The Vampire Academy series is good.

I am reading the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss and they are really good. Also if you are into more sci-fi than fantasy, The Passage is really good and the second book in the series is coming out in October. I loved book 1 of the King Killer Chronicles (Name of the Wind). Can't wait to read the second book!

I was a bit surprised - but I sincerely enjoyed Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy – The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. It was quick moving and very interesting. But I also LOVE the Harry Potter books, so these are quite similar.
Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Materials-Trilogy-Golden-Compass-Spyglass/dp/0375842381/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345727444&sr=8-4&keywords=golden+compass
I read these several years ago and really enjoyed the series! If you are very religious, I know some people that were offended by parts or the concept in general. (I'm Christian and still liked them, it's just a book, right?)

sntm
08-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Agree with the rec for Mary Roach - Sw is amazing! I've read all 4 of hers (packing for mars was the weakest but still great)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Wanted to thank you all for the great ideas! You guys are the best!

kristac
08-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Starting this one- only the first book is out so far...
http://www.amazon.com/So-Close-You-Trilogy/dp/0062081055/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345850748&sr=1-10&keywords=close+to+you

carolinamama
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Completely agree with recommendations for Ken Follet (Pillars of the Earth is my all time favorite book - I've read it 3 times and I am NOT a re-reader) and Tina Fey's Bossy Pants. I read it on a trip last year and DH kept trying to figure out why I would laugh out loud.

twowhat?
08-24-2012, 10:19 PM
I got sucked into the Maiden Lane series (Elizabeth Hoyt) after reading a preview, trying to find something fun to spend my Google Play credit on. Never heard of it or the author before, but the writing is pretty decent.

It's "historical romance" with a touch of erotica :bag. But they are totally entertaining chick reads...great for plane travel:)

eta: clearly I am blind, as I just re-read and you said anything BUT chick lit. Ignore!!!!

nfceagles
08-25-2012, 04:20 PM
The Maze Runner trilogy

:yeahthat: