PDA

View Full Version : Convertible seat/Mini cooper countryman/tall

rachelndil
08-23-2012, 01:26 PM
My DD is 3 1/2 months old, don't know her current height/weight percentages, but is likely to go to 95%+ for at least height. DH is 6'4" and I'm 5'11". We have a Mini Cooper Countryman (my car and main baby transport) and a regular Mini Cooper.

Currently using (and love!) Cybex Aton. It is the only infant seat that fit in the middle position in my car, and only one that allowed passenger in front seat of DH's car. I'm not sure how much longer the Aton will fit (although we have several inches still). I see that Cybex makes a convertible seat in Europe (the Sirona). Any idea if it will be coming to the US? How long is DD likely to last in the Aton?

What convertible seat will fit in the Minis and allow us to both ride (keeping in mind we need a lot of legroom!), or at least in my Countryman and fit in my husband's mini without a passenger?

Thanks!

BabyBearsMom
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
My friend has a regular Mini Cooper. He has a combi coccoro which fits well enough. He didn't rear face past 1 though even though the recommendation is to rearface to at least 2. Also, the coccoro is a short seat, so I don't think it will last long.

legaleagle
08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
A reasonably upright britax will likely fit just fine, it's shorter front to back than the coccoro in my car as soon as the line is level (38 degrees, it can be as upright as 30 degrees).

teo
08-23-2012, 05:28 PM
If it helps, we have the Aton, the Coccoro, and a Britax Marathon for our car, which looks to have roughly the same clearances as the Countryman based on the Edmunds specs (which is bigger than the regular Mini Cooper, I think?)

All three fit well; we have the most space with the Coccoro, then the Marathon, and then the Aton. I have only tried the two convertibles more upright (not at the newborn angle) since we didn't start using them till 8 months or so.

My ten-month-old is currently 70th percentile for height for boys (which is probably around 29" or so; last measured a month ago, and though I haven't measured in a while I think most of his height is in his legs) and still fits in the Aton, although he doesn't have much growing room left. He has a few inches in the Coccoro and the most room in the Marathon, but none of the three are especially tall seats, so if you're sure your daughter will stay 95th percentile, I might look at the First Years TrueFit and see if it fits. (That was the other seat we considered in place of the Marathon since it's supposed to be good for tight backseats, but when we bought that, DS was only 50th percentile....) I love the Coccoro, though, and if you plan to move the seat between the two cars, it might be worth having anyway if you can swing the cost of a second seat once it's outgrown. It's lightweight and very easy to install (not that the other two are hard, but the Coccoro is definitely the fastest for me).

Several inches in the Aton should last you for a while, too--I'd probably wait for the six-month stats and choose a seat then once you know if she's going to stay on the tall side.

legaleagle
08-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Also, the radian with angle adjuster often takes up very little room, though that depends on the exact car and baby needs to be a year old.

rachelndil
08-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks!

AnnieW625
08-26-2012, 02:59 PM
We had no problem trying our Britax Roundabout 55 in the back seat of a 2011 Countryman we were test driving. So if the Roundabout 55 fits so will the BLVD70, and Marathon 70. DH is 6' tall, and I am 5'6", but I would definitely go to a baby store and try the seats in your car.