PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Toddler Bed - to CL or not?

♥ms.pacman♥
08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I want to get this Little Tykes bed for DS soon as he is almost able to climb out of his crib (any day now, eek). I have been looking on CL and i see many of them going for $150-$175 or a little more. However, many of them looked a little trashed, or have missing pieces..plus, most are around an hour's drive away. Some say they ask for more bc it includes the mattress...but I don't want the mattress, i would just throw it out (using a stranger's mattress skeeves me out; plus, we already have DS's crib mattress so we will just use that).

I just looked it up on Amazon and TRU and it's about $279 at both places(of course not including tax and whatnot). So it's not as expensive as I thought (I thought they were around $350+)...So now that I think about it, it seems a little lame for me to go through all this trouble (time, haggling, driving, etc) only to get a used bed and only save about $100 (not even 1/3 off) so then i start thinking might as well buy new. what are your thoughts? I am waiting for one in decent condition for around $100, but not sure if that's unrealistic.....

kaharris83
08-23-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't have any advice for you but wanted to say that bed is adorable. I've been dreading taking DS1 out of the crib but maybe this is the answer. :) In our HCOL CL area it looks like they are $125-$150 but seem to include all the pieces. Mostly just the stickers are peeling off. There seem to be quite a few though so that may drive the price down.

KpbS
08-23-2012, 03:31 PM
If you end up going w/ CL just make sure it is from a non-smoking home as the plastic will continue to reek of smoke for a long time :barf:.

Binkandabee
08-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I would just get a new one for that small of a savings. Way too much hassle (dealing with seller, getting it home, etc.) for $100.00.

ETA: I just checked my CL and there is one that is missing the smile sticker for $125.00.

eagle
08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
i know a lot of people would balk at not being able to save $100 but you know, sometimes its just worth it. you just have to weigh your preferences.

for me, given that i dont like used mattresses either, driving an hour out just to pick up the bed frame which may or may not be complete and may or may not be slightly trashed and then try to stow it into my trunk wouldnt be worth it. id just have amazon deliver a new one.

i would drive an hour out for a large lot of used boys clothing.

i know my friend, however, would totally drive out. she sometimes things im such a spendthrift. *shrug* i make my choices. i dont think im always throwing cash out the window.

jennilynn
08-23-2012, 04:41 PM
There's one on my Craigslist for $40! I'd keep checking CL, it's been really good to me lately :D