PDA

View Full Version : long-sleeved bibs - IKEA

PMJ
08-23-2012, 04:21 PM
I wanted to know if anyone has purchased these and if they hold up and are any good?

I bought there regular bibs before and made the mistake of washing them - and they got all messed up.

thanks in advance

BabyBearsMom
08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
We have a bunch of them and love them. We have had them since DD1 started solids, so nearly 2 years. Now DD1 wears some of them for art projects and some of them for pasta night. I was them every time I use them and they are in great shape.

sweet_pea
08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
DD had some from about 2 or 3 years ago, very similar to these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70179754/

I liked the coverage but they didn't seem to be very waterproof. There were a few times that she got some light stains on her clothes even with wearing the bib over her clothing. Maybe they've improved them recently, but I ended up getting rid of ours. I just read this in the item description:

Care instructions
Machine wash, warm 104 F(40°C).
Do not bleach.
Do not tumble dry.
Iron, low temparature.
To retain water repellence, iron after washing.

I never ironed ours, perhaps that had something to do with it? Anyways, at the price you can always try them out and see if they work for you, but I did want to share my experience. I much preferred the Bumkins bibs, although they are definitely more pricey:

http://www.amazon.com/Bumkins-Waterproof-Sleeved-months-years/dp/B004V5WCJM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1345754892&sr=8-5&keywords=bumkins+bib

They are getting a little short in the arms for my 3yo, though. I think there's also an art smock that Bumkins makes which is probably larger.

katydid1971
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
D I much preferred the Bumkins bibs, although they are definitely more pricey:

http://www.amazon.com/Bumkins-Waterproof-Sleeved-months-years/dp/B004V5WCJM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1345754892&sr=8-5&keywords=bumkins+bib

They are getting a little short in the arms for my 3yo, though. I think there's also an art smock that Bumkins makes which is probably larger.
The bumkins ones are great. They wash up so well. They really protect DD's clothes when she is painting or eating messy foods.

misshollygolightly
08-23-2012, 06:38 PM
We received two as gifts and they've held up great for us! We wash them whenever we use them, and have never had any leak-through or other issues. We don't use them every day, but they're great for Sundays or other occasions when DD is dressed up and I don't want her to get too messy.

(I would say they are water resistant rather than water proof...I think if you used them for, say, playing around the water table you might still end up getting a bit wet. For mealtime, though, they've been more than sufficient for us!)

mum-to-be
08-24-2012, 02:42 AM
They aren't anywhere near as good as the Baby Bjorn smocks, but they are also nowhere near the price. I had two IKEA ones and three Baby Bjorn smocks so that DD could wear a smock each meal and I kept the IKEA ones for when we ate out - one in the eating out bag in the car, the second to replenish the bag. I wouldn't have been devastated to lose them.

They were not as water resistant. The cuffs were also really loose. Much better than any non-smock bib though.