PDA

View Full Version : Baby getting sweaty in infant seat.

Jupiter
08-23-2012, 07:41 PM
My friend's baby is 8 weeks old and when she takes her out of her infant seat, her back is all sweaty. Any thoughts??

edurnemk
08-23-2012, 09:21 PM
It's probably due to the fabric of the seat, some fabrics can be really sweaty. I'm not sure what she can do about it though, since you're not supposed to put anything between baby and car seat (unless it's a very thin fabric, maybe then it'd be OK to put something made of a more natural material? - I'm sure the techs an verify that). What car seat is it? There is ONE brand of cotton car seat covers that is approved to be used on Chicco KF's and I think Gracos as well. I don't remember the brand, but Jools recommended it in an older thread.

ETA: Here it is: http://www.bokoocovers.com/infant-car-seat-covers/

SnuggleBuggles
08-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Normal. I'd suggest to her to use the carseat in the car but not all the time (carseat into the shopping cart, then into the stroller, then into the house to continue the nap...); at least she will get a break. eta- not sure she is using the seat like that. It's pretty common though so throwing it out there.

Liziz
08-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Happens to DD every day. We don't worry about it....if it's really bad, she gets a new set of clothes when we get home, but that's all! I do think part of it is the carseat cover I have (a Graco Snugride, don't remember the fabric name). Anyhow, it hasn't seemed to hurt her in the past 6 months, so I just don't worry about it! (but as a PP suggested, I only have her in the seat for car travel -- not in stores, the house, etc, which helps). Also -- I bring the empty seat into my office when it's going to be a really hot day, so it doesn't sit in the car and heat up all day. That definitely does help keep DD cooler for the ride home from daycare.

okinawama
08-23-2012, 10:00 PM
DS2 would work himself into such a distraught state with each car ride that he'd sweat buckets every single car ride, so much so that our safeseat is completely sweat stained.

I also think that the AC in my car just doesn't reach the back (especially a RF child ) as well and it's just naturally hotter back there. I often felt bad for my little guys and would crack the windows just for a bit of air circulation.

I never really gave the seating a second thought though. I think it's normal and not something to be worried about.

queenmama
08-23-2012, 10:17 PM
I also think that the AC in my car just doesn't reach the back (especially a RF child ) as well and it's just naturally hotter back there. I often felt bad for my little guys and would crack the windows just for a bit of air circulation.

I think so, too. My LO gets super sweaty in her KF30. We have vents back there but they aren't in the right location for cooling a RF kiddo. :(

Joolsplus2
08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Some kids are just sweatier than others (I was in a lot of playgroups with ds1, some kids just always gushed sweat, some didn't, during the same weather and whatnot), but here's a nice blog with ways to at least keep the car cooler... http://carseatblog.com/2213/baby-its-hot-outside/

chillinoutmaxin
08-24-2012, 04:26 PM
My youngest would be freezing in the front and a sweaty mess in the back! I finally thought to put a very think diaper rag behind him so he'd be up against something cotton. I'm sure you could cut a small piece from a recieving blanket or something cotton and just make a little layer for him.