PDA

View Full Version : Glass shower doors or shower curtains?

gatorsmom
08-24-2012, 04:02 AM
We are building a new house. I have 2 bathrooms to be shared by our 4 kids. Should we put glass shower doors in on rails or just put shower curtains in?

WatchingThemGrow
08-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Is the non rail kind an option? It looks so nice. I feel like curtains are just a pain.

roseyloxs
08-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Is the non rail kind an option? It looks so nice. I feel like curtains are just a pain.

:yeahthat:

arivecchi
08-24-2012, 06:38 AM
I prefer curtains to shower doors - especially for a little kid bath. We just removed the shower doors in our kid bath. They did not look great and made it unsafe for the kids to get in and out of the tub. The pretty PBK shower curtain really dresses up the bathroom too.

hillview
08-24-2012, 06:40 AM

klwa
08-24-2012, 06:43 AM
If it's a full bath with shower attachment, I'd go with curtains. My parents had the sliding glass doors on their tub & I'd always stub my toe on the rail. If it's a stand-alone shower unit, I'd get the door. Seems like the curtains never extend long enough on those.

cvanbrunt
08-24-2012, 06:45 AM
If it's a full bath with shower attachment, I'd go with curtains. My parents had the sliding glass doors on their tub & I'd always stub my toe on the rail. If it's a stand-alone shower unit, I'd get the door. Seems like the curtains never extend long enough on those.

hellokitty
08-24-2012, 07:13 AM

I totally agree. I really dislike the tubs with the rail, it's claustrophobic to me and hurts if you bang yourself on it.

SnuggleBuggles
08-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Curtain. You can't sit on the edge of the tub if you have a door bc the rails hurt. Lots of fun style choices too. Easier to clean.

Eta- even if you personally don't sit on or lean over the edge of the tub, your dd (as a teen) will likely one day want to sit on the edge to shave her legs. :)

Kindra178
08-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Curtain. You can't sit on the edge of the tub if you have a door bc the rails hurt. Lots of fun style choices too. Easier to clean.

This. It's also much harder to assist the kids in the bath because the doors are in the way.

queenmama
08-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Agreed on curtains for the above reasons. And it's so much easier to throw a curtain in the wash vs battling soap scum.

crl
08-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Agreed on curtains for the above reasons. And it's so much easier to throw a curtain in the wash vs battling soap scum.

Catherine

karstmama
08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
curtain! those doors are nasty after five minutes! of course, we have really hard water in this area, and that might have something to do with it, but curtains!

brittone2
08-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Our masters in the last 3 houses we've been in have had doors, but the textured kind. Those are IMO kind of ugly, but I think I prefer them to having to clean the super clear/smooth type. I really, really don't think I'd want to have to keep that type clean. If had a cleaning person coming more than weekly, then maybe ;) Certainly they look the best IMO, but I would not want the day to day maintenance. (eta: I live in an area with hard water; we have a water softener in our current house but I'm not sure how long we're going to use it).

On a kids' full shower/tub combo, I guess I prefer a curtain.

I also think I'd consider the style of your house and your decorating style. A more modern type of house, yeah, I don't think I'd probably design a shower with a curtain given a choice. If you are a more cottage-y type of a person, a curtain would be cute. Of course, there are lots of styles that would work w/ either option, but I might consider all of that.

If I was going to spend money for really nice tile in the actual shower enclosure, then a glass door would show that off more, I suppose. If I was going to use a curtain, I might go with a more basic tile, kwim?

Giantbear
08-24-2012, 09:58 AM
I hate curtains, they blow all over the place. I am firmly in the frameless shower door camp. I have no issue bathing dd, have never stubbed my toe and the water stays in the tub when i shower. And if dd gets all splashy during her bath, i just close the door a bit and no water on the floor. I think it is a personal preference thing.

vonfirmath
08-24-2012, 10:08 AM
We are building a new house. I have 2 bathrooms to be shared by our 4 kids. Should we put glass shower doors in on rails or just put shower curtains in?

Shower curtains. The glass shower doors are a big pain (on a tub with shower). The only reason we have one right now is that the house came with it. They are a pain on a shower-only but I don't know a good alternative there!

arivecchi
08-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Shower curtains. The glass shower doors are a big pain (on a tub with shower). The only reason we have one right now is that the house came with it. They are a pain on a shower-only but I don't know a good alternative there! We had glass doors on a tub and a handyman was able to remove them easily in case you were interested. The kids' bathroom looks a lot better and is so much more functional now.

I would do glass doors if it's a shower only though. Agree with PP on that!

wendibird22
08-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Curtain. When it gets gross, wash it or throw it out (we use a liner in addition to the curtain so the curtain stays clean a long long time). I've never owned one with a door but I get grossed out by the thought of the gunk in the track needing to be cleaned.

If it was just a walk in/stand up shower, I would do a half wall of glass, no door. I was in a hotel with a shower that was the size of a bathtub style but no tub. The area was enclosed 3/4 of the way with a glass wall. The shower spray was angled in such a way that it was easy to shower and get wet (even for a tall person) but the water didn't get outside the shower. I loved that it didn't have a door. So easy to walk in and out, and so easy to just wipe down a smooth plate of glass.

ladysoapmaker
08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
My MIL & SIL have shower doors that accordion fold so no rails to deal with. They look really nice and at the bottom they curve in towards the bath so it keeps the water from running out. I do not know the manufacturer and they were a little bit more expensive however if DH & I ever remodel or build it's what I'd choose.

Jen

katydid1971
08-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Mommy_Again
08-24-2012, 11:56 AM
I think it depends how it will be used. If I am taking or giving a bath, I want a curtain. If I'm taking a shower, a door is preferred. How you will use the tub/shower most would be the determining factor for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk