PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE in 15 -More P&PT needed for housing situation

WatchingThemGrow
08-24-2012, 05:26 AM
We moved into a rental last week that's in a perfect location and month to month in our target n'hood. Air quality was bad, so the landlord got it checked out and replaced the ductwork and much of the hvac. Still smells old. I had a md guy come out, and he just found one spot in the crawlspace. I asked him to take a look at one suspicious board in the kitchen. It turns out the whole kitchen subfloor is wet and will need to come out. A general contractor is coming this morning to estimate everything and figure out how to address it with the homeowners insurance. DH and I have to figure out what to do as far as staying here or trying to move to a 9 month rental apartment where we would be driving all the time. Where we are, we can walk to both elementary and preschool, bike to the in laws, and play out in the yard. I'm not sure the air is totally clean here yet. I'm a little wheezy, but I've been dusting/cleaning all day since we just got to move back in here after the moldy ductwork was replaced.

What we really want is for an awesome 4 BR home to pop up for sale in the next hour.

roseyloxs
08-24-2012, 06:10 AM
So far it sounds like the landlord is a decent one so I hope he gets a great estimate and your kitchen will be clean and sparkling in no time. You must have quite the point balance built up with homewood suites or something similar. Any chance you have some free nights you can use in this case?

P&PT for you and your family.

hillview
08-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Awww that stinks I am so sorry. Sending housing mojo and P&PT!

KpbS
08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm sorry!! The rental sounds complicated and like it would continue to compromise your health :(. Short of the perfect listing popping up, can you go in front of the board to plead your case? It's quite sympathetic! Lots of prayers headed your way! :hug:

queenmama
08-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Good grief! You poor thing! It's just one thing after another in your saga for a home! PT&T that your patience will be rewarded! You definitely have some good house karma owed to you!

brittone2
08-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Oh no. I hope you can appeal to the board, and that they'll work with you. Being stuck in a PITB rental situation is tough...we weren't having health issues but our situation was a real pain. I really feel for you and your family, because the health aspect of it has to be extraordinarily stressful! :hug:

ha98ed14
08-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Just sending a hug and some P&PTs! I know you've been purging along with the rest of us, and if you do have to move again, it will hopefully be easier... Thinking of you.

MamaMolly
08-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Oh dear P&PT coming your way!

SkyrMommy
08-24-2012, 01:55 PM
:hug: Oh my goodness, sending you many, many, many good vibes for good house karma. You and your family have been through so much, I hope that just things are resolved with your rental and the right home is just around the corner. :hug:

hellokitty
08-24-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm so sorry, what an awful situation. I hope you guys can find a house that you like soon.

larig
08-24-2012, 02:39 PM
super duper major house mojo for you guys. So sorry this has all be so rotten for you guys.

amldaley
08-24-2012, 02:46 PM
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh. Okay, can you afford to have an inspector come to test the air? Probably a couple hundred bucks I would think.

I guess it depends on your allergies. I am ridiculously mold sensitive and with DD2 breathing issues, there is no way I would stay there. But the average person might be ok with it.

{HUGS} to you, friend. You deserve a break. You have been working on this for so long now.

ourbabygirl
08-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Yikes, I'm so sorry to hear about this! You do not deserve any more housing woes!
P & PTs that the situation can be resolved quickly and that you can find the perfect home for your family, quickly! :hug:

WatchingThemGrow
08-25-2012, 03:31 AM
UPDATE: The estimate to replace the kitchen was 2-3 weeks, and since we couldn't breathe well the next morning and kids were still having symptoms (itchy eyes, sore throat) we decided to bail and move into an apt. I detest the idea of it, not being able to walk anywhere, and not being near our schools, but we have to be able to breathe.

For tonight we're staying in a friend's basement apt. (1BR) thankfully. We should get the keys to the townhouse tomorrow and can start moving stuff in. I'm not changing my address for a little bit, but we'll need to and then I'll go before the board to plead our case.

Of course, our school is the one that had the flagship mold case a few years back because my neighbor kids got sick when they moved into one wing. We'll just have to move before we get to that part of the building.

LL is going to give us our deposit back, prorate our rent.

brgnmom
08-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Oh no, I'm glad that you are able to stay elsewhere. Sending prayers and positive thoughts for a better permanent housing opportunity ASAP for your family.

roseyloxs
08-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Such a bummer but staying healthy is much more important. Sending more P&PT for a great home popping up soon.

KpbS
08-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Argh! My phone just ate my reply! I'm relieved you are out of the rental for your health sakes. Those long term toxic exposures are super scary! I hope that the board is sympathetic to your case or in the alternative you guys find a different school you can be happy with--more fish in the sea and all of that. And hopefully the right house (mold free!) comes on the market in the right neighborhod soon. Sending prayers today is a better day!

wellyes
08-25-2012, 08:32 AM
This is a crappy crappy year for you. Hope your dream house comes along soon :grouphug:

ZeeBaby
08-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Hoping you find the right home soon.

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2012, 09:15 AM
The only bright side is that the current landlords weren't jerks! I'm so sorry!

crl
08-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I hope things start looking up soon!

Catherine

OKKiddo
08-25-2012, 09:45 AM
UPDATE: The estimate to replace the kitchen was 2-3 weeks, and since we couldn't breathe well the next morning and kids were still having symptoms (itchy eyes, sore throat) we decided to bail and move into an apt. I detest the idea of it, not being able to walk anywhere, and not being near our schools, but we have to be able to breathe.

For tonight we're staying in a friend's basement apt. (1BR) thankfully. We should get the keys to the townhouse tomorrow and can start moving stuff in. I'm not changing my address for a little bit, but we'll need to and then I'll go before the board to plead our case.

Of course, our school is the one that had the flagship mold case a few years back because my neighbor kids got sick when they moved into one wing. We'll just have to move before we get to that part of the building.

LL is going to give us our deposit back, prorate our rent.

I am so glad that you have a reasonable landlord! We're in an eerily similar situation (none of us has asthma though) and we've only been in this house for 1 month as well. Mold is everywhere, there's still a leak which makes our bathroom completely unusable, all kitchen tiles are broken and have actually sliced my younger sons toe open (and I was told by repair person they were the old asbestos tiles because the house is old), wood floors are giving splinters because there's no finish and they need to be redone, outlets are broken and give off sparks/electricity jolts when you try to plug something in, the house wasn't cleaned/repaired before we moved in and the previous tenant had mice so we had a lot of clean up, and when it gets cold we won't have any heat because the furnace and ducts are rotted and will leak carbon monoxide (as two a/c repairmen have told us and said not to touch it). Two other repairmen have been in the house and said that the house is unlivable and that their report would say as much.

Our landlord? He's aware of it all, we sent him registered mail with a list of the problems. He's repaired none of it (besides the leaky pipe that flooded the basement and playroom). He wasn't willing to let us out of our lease either until we told him we were going to seek legal assistance. Then he said he's still keeping our deposit and that if we stay one day past the first of any month that he'll keep that entire months rent as well. Hubby plans for us to be out of the house by the 31st of this month (this is now day 3 of house hunting in the D.C. area and I'm so tired!!).

Any tips from your situation that might help ours? Like I said though, I am really, really glad that you were able to get out AND get your money back!

WatchingThemGrow
08-25-2012, 09:39 PM
I am so glad that you have a reasonable landlord! We're in an eerily similar situation (none of us has asthma though) and we've only been in this house for 1 month as well. Mold is everywhere, there's still a leak which makes our bathroom completely unusable, all kitchen tiles are broken and have actually sliced my younger sons toe open (and I was told by repair person they were the old asbestos tiles because the house is old), wood floors are giving splinters because there's no finish and they need to be redone, outlets are broken and give off sparks/electricity jolts when you try to plug something in, the house wasn't cleaned/repaired before we moved in and the previous tenant had mice so we had a lot of clean up, and when it gets cold we won't have any heat because the furnace and ducts are rotted and will leak carbon monoxide (as two a/c repairmen have told us and said not to touch it). Two other repairmen have been in the house and said that the house is unlivable and that their report would say as much.

Our landlord? He's aware of it all, we sent him registered mail with a list of the problems. He's repaired none of it (besides the leaky pipe that flooded the basement and playroom). He wasn't willing to let us out of our lease either until we told him we were going to seek legal assistance. Then he said he's still keeping our deposit and that if we stay one day past the first of any month that he'll keep that entire months rent as well. Hubby plans for us to be out of the house by the 31st of this month (this is now day 3 of house hunting in the D.C. area and I'm so tired!!).

Any tips from your situation that might help ours? Like I said though, I am really, really glad that you were able to get out AND get your money back!
:eek: Our situation looks like a walk in the park compared to yours!
As far as tips??? I called ServPro to come and check for mold, but the homeowner had to call for it to be free. She was willing to do that. Seems like you know yours really has it though. I bet some other BBBers can give better advice. Have you posted asking for help yet? Sparks and splinters and no heat - oh my! We finally had to just pull the plug and go get a rental apt. and risk not getting our deposit back. We were fortunate.

WatchingThemGrow
08-25-2012, 09:42 PM
We got into the new townhome apt today, and the DC remembered looking at the place earlier this summer. There is a massive playset right in front of our unit, and the DC call the place "Great Wolf Lodge" because it has a lot of stonework and brown, just like GWL. We are looking forward to getting our POD this week, and our storage unit contents. Can't wait!