PDA

View Full Version : HD Antenna: saving me HUNDREDS of dollars per year

wellyes
08-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Did everyone know about this but me??

Yesterday we installed an HD antenna, which cost us less than $40. Easy to install (inside the home). I get free over the air broadcasts of all the major networks - including Fox, CW and a couple others like Lifetime. All in full high def. I cancelled cable, and I won't miss it! It works with my Tivo, I can get the same season passes and live TV guide as before.

It's probably only an option if you're not too remote. I'm near Boston and I get 35+ signals. Though, admittedly, like 4 of those are different PBS broadcasts, some are Spanish-language programming, and a few are junk (QVC etc). And obviously, there are no sports networks.

But for casual/occasional tv watchers it is an great deal - makes tons of $$ sense. For the cost of less than one cable bill, I was able to kiss that monthly bill goodbye. If you've not heard about it, or wasn't really sure what it's like, I recommend trying it!

brittone2
08-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Yep, we've been doing this for the past few years, and my parents do as well. My parents have literally never had cable in their lives. I grew up in an area where cable wasn't available (and still isn't!). (eta: they now live in an area where cable is an option, but they just aren't that into it. They get plenty of options via their antenna. I think they get 3-4 different PBS stations alone).

My parents had a digital converter box before they upgraded their TV, and they used that with the antenna. Now they can skip the digital converter box, obviously.

We use a combo of broadcast, Hulu, and amazon Prime for the TV we do watch. It works well for us.

We pay for the occasional show via amazon, like Mad Men.

We also use our library to rent certain cable series, like Big Love.

liamsmom
08-24-2012, 12:26 PM
We cancelled our cable last month and haven't missed it a bit. Granted, it's the summer, but I don't think we'll care that much when shows start up again. We do subscribe to Hulu Plus--for $7.99/month. That way, I can watch my network TV shows (plus some extras like the Daily Show) whenever I want, as opposed to trying to sit down to watch something right at 9:00.

queenmama
08-24-2012, 12:28 PM
We bought one when the networks switched over a couple years ago. We also have the converter box since our tv is ancient. Unfortunately, we only pick up NBC and ABC, and a couple PBS channels. It kills me that we don't get CBS because they show a ton of college football.

lmwbasye
08-24-2012, 12:58 PM
We've been doing this for a long time now and are very happy with our antenna and Netflix. :)

BillK
08-24-2012, 02:37 PM
If you can get a good HD signal with an antenna - the picture is actually better oftentimes than that same pic via a cable or satellite provider because the over the air (OTA) signals are not compressed to save bandwidth like cable and satellite signals are.

OKKiddo
08-24-2012, 02:48 PM
We started using an antenna a little over 6 months ago. We were in Kansas at the time and our Directv would go out with a moderate windy day let alone a little sprinkle or a big storm. We bought one of the MOHU antennas off of amazon and loved that we got almost 30 channels (yes, lots of foreign language shows, one devoted to the doppler radar and weather, several pbs channels, and nbc, abc, the cw). Of those channels I would have loved to have had lifetime but no luck.

We're now in the D.C. area and we're supposed to get the same amount or more channels but during the day it's impossible to watch. The channels squeak in and out and pixelate. 5pm comes and it's a perfect picture. I can't figure it out but it irks me.

FYI, here is the link that shows you what signals and the strength of them are available by area:

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

And this website can help you choose an antenna (or give information on the type you need for you to do more googling and ultimately buy off our much loved amazon).

http://www.antennapoint.com/

truly scrumptious
08-24-2012, 02:49 PM
YES!! We love our HD antenna, and like PPs make do with that and a combo of netflix and amazon prime streaming. Plenty of options, esp in a house with young kids where I PREFER them to watch stuff without ads (like on netflix. Another advantage of netflix is that you can control the amount of time they're watching tv - so after 15 minutes the program ENDS - not like dragging them away from endless tv programming. But I digress.)

Congratulations! Hope you have something fun to do with all that extra $$$! ;)

ETA: where you place the antenna makes a difference to the number and quality of channels you'll get - height, direction, proximity to other interference. We figured it out by trial and error. But DH wants to try installing ours int eh attic because he thinks that'll improve the reception.

infomama
08-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Which one did you get?

MacMacMoo
08-24-2012, 03:04 PM
We cut back to netflix a few years ago. We were able to do an indoor antenna to get PBS before we moved. Now we are in a valley in the middle of no where so no reception of any sort for us.

roseyloxs
08-24-2012, 03:12 PM
You don't even need an HD antenna! My parents have had an antenna on their house since the 80s (they are outside of Chicago). As soon as the broadcast companies started broadcasting their signal in HD they started receiving it. Believe it or not but it has more to do with your tv then your antenna.

wellyes
08-24-2012, 03:17 PM
This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345835564&sr=8-1&keywords=antenna Down to $30

We used this site to see what channels we were likely to get and what kind of antenna to buy (basically, could we get away with a cheap one - we could). http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

codex57
08-24-2012, 03:41 PM
If you can get a good HD signal with an antenna - the picture is actually better oftentimes than that same pic via a cable or satellite provider because the over the air (OTA) signals are not compressed to save bandwidth like cable and satellite signals are.

This. We cut the cord over a year or two ago. Couldn't be happier. The Super Bowl is soooo much nicer with an over the air antenna than on cable/satellite (used to have Dish). News can be disturbing. I never realized my local news anchors had such bad skin or wore that much makeup (including teh guys).

jjordan
08-24-2012, 03:49 PM
This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345835564&sr=8-1&keywords=antenna Down to $30

We used this site to see what channels we were likely to get and what kind of antenna to buy (basically, could we get away with a cheap one - we could). http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

That is a FABULOUS deal for anyone who can get away with it! Unfortunately, that website tells us that we would not get any channels reliably. :( But we do have the cheapest cable option, which basically gets us the networks and not much else (comparable to what an antenna would pick up if we actually got any signals out here), and it's just $13/month. It is hard to imagine going back to paying the big bucks for tv!

brittone2
08-24-2012, 04:04 PM
This. We cut the cord over a year or two ago. Couldn't be happier. The Super Bowl is soooo much nicer with an over the air antenna than on cable/satellite (used to have Dish). News can be disturbing. I never realized my local news anchors had such bad skin or wore that much makeup (including teh guys).
Yeah, most people are totally shocked at the picture we get.

We do have some channels that cut in and out, but I think that could be tweaked (NHK for example does that). Everything we actually watch regularly comes in great for us. We tried a less expensive antenna first and that didn't work well for us, so we replaced it with a slightly more expensive option (we were able to return the 1st one). We get much better reception with the 2nd option DH chose.

infomama
08-24-2012, 04:10 PM
DH asks...will we get ESPN?

brittone2
08-24-2012, 04:23 PM
If only!

newnana
08-24-2012, 04:31 PM
That is a FABULOUS deal for anyone who can get away with it! Unfortunately, that website tells us that we would not get any channels reliably. :( But we do have the cheapest cable option, which basically gets us the networks and not much else (comparable to what an antenna would pick up if we actually got any signals out here), and it's just $13/month. It is hard to imagine going back to paying the big bucks for tv!

That website told us we would get 0 channels. We bought one for the olympics (the Leaf) figuring we could return it to amazon if it didn't work. We are now the proud recipients of 22 channels! 2 PBS, 2 QVC, but also excellent NBC and the like.

Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. We were highly doubtful as we don't even get cell coverage in our house (valley). Good luck!

twowhat?
08-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Intrigued. Subscribing. We've tried once before with an antenna that DH just picked up from Frye's and it didn't work. Wonder if the leaf is worth a shot. Theoretically (according to that antennaweb site) we should get several channels with just the cheapest antenna...I think DH is pulling the trigger as I type for $30...

kbud
08-24-2012, 04:43 PM

yep, this is the only reason we have satellite, and for the nfl and big ten channel. We also get the NFL sunday ticket....there is no other way to get ESPN. We'd cut the cord right away if we could somehow get espn.

I'm surprised to see you get Lifetime that's cool! Do you pay monthly for your tivo?

wendmatt
08-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I have been thinking of doing this for ages but am such a techonophobe that I just put it off. I cannot watch tv when it's on so dvr everything. That is from AT&T, so could I buy a tivo and still record? Is it the same thing? What about Phines and Ferb, Spongebob and the Disney shows that are about the only thing watched in our house? Can we watch them on Hulu? Or would we have to rent dvds?

Pinky
08-24-2012, 05:30 PM
We also use an HD antenna... DH mounted it in our attic. We get most of the networks. We don't get one because they aren't broadcasting a strong enough signal or something like that.

And yes, you can use TIVO etc.

My sister has the old school metal tower antenna outside her house and I'm pretty sure she is picking up channels with that.

codex57
08-24-2012, 05:33 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/f/

I found my antenna based on recommendations found on that forum. I think it was only like $50 on amazon or something like that.

I'm not that handy. So, I paid a handyman to attach the antenna to my roof. I already had a mounting bracket from my satellite (the left the dish and bracket, only wanted these boxes that stuck onto the dish).

I think it ran my like $250, but if you think about how much you save by cancelling... it only takes like a few months to make that up.

My kids watch Disney shows on this one Disney app. It's free, and even shows what's playing live on one Disney channel. Btw Hulu, Netflix and the various free apps out there, we don't miss out on kids shows.

No ESPN, but I'm ok with that. I really don't have time to watch anyways with small kids.

AngB
08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Awhile ago, I thought there was some telecommunications/FCC regulation or law in the works that will eventually allow people to pick what they want to watch a la carte. I have no idea what happened with that or if it's still in the works or has been shut down or whatever. (If someone knows, please feel free to chime in.)

In a perfect world, we would have the basic major networks and maybe 5-10 cable channels. (ESPN, Nick Jr., Fox Sports, etc.) As it stands, we watch too much on a few handful of cable channels to get rid of cable now. But we did save a lot of money by switching from Dish back to cable with cable internet and getting rid of our landline for a Magic Jack. That savings is about $100 a month for us.

jjordan
08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
That website told us we would get 0 channels. We bought one for the olympics (the Leaf) figuring we could return it to amazon if it didn't work. We are now the proud recipients of 22 channels! 2 PBS, 2 QVC, but also excellent NBC and the like.

Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. We were highly doubtful as we don't even get cell coverage in our house (valley). Good luck!

Based on the number of antenna that were attached to the house when we got it, I'm guessing the previous owners never really found anything that worked! We're at least 60 miles from the source of a signal, and it's hilly here with lots of huge trees. :(

Mommy_Mea
08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
We ditched cable over 2 years ago, bought an HD antenna, and haven't looked back. We use a combination of Netflix and the antenna, and I don't miss cable at all (okay, I yearn for HGTV from time to time, I will admit!) I don't constantly have the TV on as background. In fact, it often will be left off for days! I never imagined that would happen. I end up watching much more interesting shows and movies through Netflix.

We don't save a ton of money, because the difference between having just internet and internet&cable bundle is like $30 a month, but it is something! (Adding it up, I guess we have probably save about $700 over that time, so it does add up).

wellyes
08-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Yes, we use Tivo, stream Netflix through Tivo and we also get DVDs of TV shows from the library (currently: Downton Abbey Season 2).
We don't save a ton of money, because the difference between having just internet and internet&cable bundle is like $30 a month, but it is something! (Adding it up, I guess we have probably save about $700 over that time, so it does add up).

Call around! We cut our bill by more than half (keeping the same mbps) by comparison shopping and asking for promotions.

queenmama
08-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Dude! It sounds like we have the wrong antenna!

ladysoapmaker
08-24-2012, 07:53 PM
We use my old antenna and a converter box for our tv. I haven't worried about HD. My in-laws have an HD antenna and they like it.

My only issue is occasionally the AF base will be doing some sort of testing and that blocks the signal for most of the channels. Or if a really bad storm comes through but that hasn't happened in a while so either I'm not watching enough tv or the local stations were aware of the problem and have fixed it somewhat.

Jen

OKKiddo
08-24-2012, 08:23 PM
We use my old antenna and a converter box for our tv. I haven't worried about HD. My in-laws have an HD antenna and they like it.

My only issue is occasionally the AF base will be doing some sort of testing and that blocks the signal for most of the channels. Or if a really bad storm comes through but that hasn't happened in a while so either I'm not watching enough tv or the local stations were aware of the problem and have fixed it somewhat.

Jen

Well now. We're right next to several military installations (coast guard, army, and army corps of engineers) so that could easily explain why we can't watch the antenna during the day and it comes on perfectly at 5pm!

newnana
08-24-2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/f/

My kids watch Disney shows on this one Disney app. It's free, and even shows what's playing live on one Disney channel. Btw Hulu, Netflix and the various free apps out there, we don't miss out on kids shows.

No ESPN, but I'm ok with that. I really don't have time to watch anyways with small kids.

Please tell me more about the Disney app. We watch amazon prime free streaming stuff, but she is sorely missing Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Mickey, and Doc McStuffins. We have a new tv that has a free Disney app on it, but I haven't played with it yet. This would be huge for her if it works. Thanks!!!

Melaine
08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
We have basic cable so only about $13 a month, but it seems like my parents get MORE channels with just the antenna. However, our internet is bundled with our cable so I think it's actually cheaper to have both. Still I'd like to see what we'd truly get without cable, but DH doesn't know how to "turn off" cable and just see what is there....

does anyone know how we can test it without cancelling?

wellyes
08-24-2012, 09:10 PM
We have basic cable so only about $13 a month, but it seems like my parents get MORE channels with just the antenna. However, our internet is bundled with our cable so I think it's actually cheaper to have both. Still I'd like to see what we'd truly get without cable, but DH doesn't know how to "turn off" cable and just see what is there....

does anyone know how we can test it without cancelling?
We added the antenna without disconnecting our cable (FIOS). We were able to see what channels were from the antenna by looking at our "Live TV" listings on Tivo.... regular channels appear at 502, 503, 504 etc and the antenna channels have hyphens in them.

twowhat?
09-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Bumping! Got the leaf from Amazon and we are enjoying OTA HD CBS, Fox, NBC for free (as well as a plethora of local hispanic and religious channels):) I think we even pick up one of the channels that hosts some of the Rangers games, so DH is very happy (and is also becoming increasingly impressed by these boards LOL). Who knew you could get that out of what looks and feels like a laminated sheet of paper? :cheerleader1:

eta: be sure your TV is set to scan for channels through the antennae and not through the cable.