PDA

View Full Version : If your PTA had a school supplies fundraiser, and you didn't purchase it...WDYD?

wencit
08-24-2012, 02:00 PM
DS1 starts first grade at a new school next week. During registration, we had an opportunity to purchase a school supply kit through the PTA (one of their fundraisers). I found an old supplies list from last year and thanks to the awesome deals on this board, purchased many of the items at a great discount in anticipation of getting a similar list at registration.

However, during registration, I was not happy with the extreme pressure/guilt trip put on by the PTA about buying their supply kit. When I asked the representative if she had a supply list, she just shrugged and said it was up to the individual teachers. In short, she had no supply list to give me.

So now I'm at a loss as to whether I should send DS1 to school with at least a pencil or two! I'm assuming he's going to need something on his first day! I can't be the only parent in class who didn't purchase through the PTA. My best guess is that all the supplies are shared in first grade, but of course, since this is a new school for us, I am not positive. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

vonfirmath
08-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Have you checked the website for the school for the supply list?
That's where I found ours.

wencit
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes, checked, checked, and checked again! Nothing except for info about buying the PTA's supply kit.

ha98ed14
08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
I would send him with the obvious on the first day: scissors, pencils, crayons and markers and maybe a ruler. I imagine the teacher will send home a list of what she wants them to have. If not, she will send home some kind of note about how to best contact her, so just call/ email and ask.

I do know this, the TEACHER does not care where your supplies come from. It's the PTA parents who get all caught up in the politics of who participates and who doesn't and what not. If they really get caught up in it, then all it shows is that this woman has a very small world: the PTA.

The teacher just needs everyone to fall in line and make sure DC have what they need. If DS has those things by the 3rd or 4th day of school, all will be well. :) For your own peace of mind, don't confuse the PTA-nazi with the teacher. The teacher may not even know the woman's name, and he/she certainly doesn't care where you buy DS's supplies.

roseyloxs
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I can't imagine that many supplies are going to be required on the first day. As you said a pencil or two will probably be sufficient for day 1.

SnuggleBuggles
08-24-2012, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't send anything. Except an email to the teacher for their list.

hellokitty
08-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Our PTA does it, in fact, one of my closer friends is in charge of it. We don't buy the kit. It is more expensive than what it would cost for me to buy things on my own. Plus, last yr and this yr, the company that did the kits screwed up. She said it was a huge headache, she had to go through each box for two grades to get it sorted out. She says that next yr they will try another company. I would not feel bad about it, you are not the only parent who didn't buy the kit, trust me. I have helped my friend before to deliver the boxes to each classroom and at most, it's 50% of the kids in a class that participated. There are other ways to help the PTA, but don't buy the kit, if you don't want to.

Green_Tea
08-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I'd email the teacher and ask what he needs. Ignore the PTA.

cuca_
08-24-2012, 02:18 PM
I would call the school and ask for a supply list. IME schools are open weeks before they start and the receptionist/secretary usually has this sort of information. Did they send a packet with forms to fill, etc... DD1's school does not post the supply list on the web, but they do send the list with the packet.

bigsis
08-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I would send him with the obvious on the first day: scissors, pencils, crayons and markers and maybe a ruler. I imagine the teacher will send home a list of what she wants them to have. If not, she will send home some kind of note about how to best contact her, so just call/ email and ask.

I do know this, the TEACHER does not care where your supplies come from. It's the PTA parents who get all caught up in the politics of who participates and who doesn't and what not. If they really get caught up in it, then all it shows is that this woman has a very small world: the PTA.

The teacher just needs everyone to fall in line and make sure DC have what they need. If DS has those things by the 3rd or 4th day of school, all will be well. :) For your own peace of mind, don't confuse the PTA-nazi with the teacher. The teacher may not even know the woman's name, and he/she certainly doesn't care where you buy DS's supplies.

:yeahthat:

Fairy
08-24-2012, 02:34 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with the PTO around here. We have the kits, too, "for our conveninece." I do not buy them. But we don't get massive pressure at all, which is nice. I'd say send DC with what you bought! Email the teacher and ask for a list.

SnuggleBuggles
08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Surely that volunteer had a list of what was in the kits. Ask someone else if the teacher doesn't reply. Sorry that was just nagging at me and I didn't say it before. Don't let a bad PTA apple turn you off either; hopefully she was an anomaly for the group as mine is comprised of really nice people. :)

katydid1971
08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I would just call the school secretary, she will have a list or be able to get it for you. I think pencils, crayons, glue sticks and markers will get DC through the first day though.

wencit
08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
So I just called the school secretary, on the advice of a PP. Apparently the PTA has already bought one school supply kit for every child! No wonder they were trying so hard to get us to pay for them - they want to be reimbursed their money! The secretary said legally they can't force us to pay for the kits, but that they would really like to be paid for them. The PTA representative at registration even had a list with every kid's name on it, I'm assuming, that she was checking off. :rolleyes:

Grrr, now I'm really annoyed. Knowing what I do now, I would feel bad if I didn't pay for the supplies my child was using, especially since the public schools here in California are already so strapped for cash. However, it's not my fault that the PTA used their funds in what I think was a really stupid manner! Argh!!! :banghead:

vonfirmath
08-24-2012, 02:46 PM
wencit: donate some money to the PTA that is what you would have paid for school supplies but DON'T buy the kit -- would that make you feel better?

SnuggleBuggles
08-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Well that is super dumb! YOu weren't even there last year!

Green_Tea
08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
So I just called the school secretary, on the advice of a PP. Apparently the PTA has already bought one school supply kit for every child! No wonder they were trying so hard to get us to pay for them - they want to be reimbursed their money! The secretary said legally they can't force us to pay for the kits, but that they would really like to be paid for them. The PTA representative at registration even had a list with every kid's name on it, I'm assuming, that she was checking off. :rolleyes:

That's obnoxious.

KpbS
08-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Wow! That is really presumptuous on their part! FWIW, our local Targets and Walmarts have supply lists for each area school found at the school supply area.

Another thought, do you know anyone you can ask what is in the kit?

Binkandabee
08-24-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd be annoyed, too. Really annoyed.

I do buy the PTA school supply pack every year, though. It was $24.00 and for me worth every penny. I would have willingly paid twice that for it. The time, gas, energy, effort..huh uh. Not worth it. Much easier to pick them up at meet the teacher night and drop them off in DD's classroom at her desk that same day.

There is no pressure whatsoever, though. The kits are ordered at the end of the school year for the upcoming year, so nobody has pressure at pickup because there aren't extras to sell. The school orders however many are already paid for.

wellyes
08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
They should dismiss the volunteer who was in charge of that decision. Fundraising 101, do not spend more than you can raise!!

Don't ask the PTO for info on what's on the kits, ignore this whole nonsense, email or send a note to the teacher. And don't sweat it at all.

zukeypur
08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
My friend's school sells the kits for under $20, while ours was over $55. I am a MUCH better shopper than that, although I would have jumped on the cheaper kit. I have never heard of being expected to buy them though.

SnuggleBuggles
08-24-2012, 03:39 PM
They should dismiss the volunteer who was in charge of that decision. Fundraising 101, do not spend more than you can raise!!
all.
Sadly, how does one truly dismiss a PTO volunteer? There are a few I would fire if I could! But, I've certainly never figured a legitimate way to do it. Granted none of mine have ever made a costly mistake like the one at OP's school.

jerigirl
08-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow! That is really presumptuous on their part! FWIW, our local Targets and Walmarts have supply lists for each area school found at the school supply area.

Another thought, do you know anyone you can ask what is in the kit?

:yeahthat: do the stores have lists for the local schools?

MelissaTC
08-24-2012, 03:50 PM
M's kit this year was almost $70!!! Needless to say, we passed on it. There was nothing in it that was expensive or special. No thanks. No issue saying thanks but no thanks. That was really dumb of the PTO.

nfowife
08-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I didn't buy the kit but our school put out supply lists for those who didn't. Then we just brought the supplies on meet the teacher day so they would be organized and ready for the first day.

Tondi G
08-24-2012, 04:06 PM
My DS's 2nd grade teacher asked for

3 sharpened pencils
eraser (white prefered)
2 glue sticks
Pencil case to hold supplies
Backpack

I think adding a box of 24 crayons, maybe a pair of kid safe scissors and you should be fine.

I can't believe they pre-purchased the kits ... thats not smart planning on their part. Just assuming everyone would pay the fee (which is most likely more than what you could pay buying yourself) is crazy.

MamaMolly
08-24-2012, 04:11 PM

OMG that is so dumb. Or really generous of the PTA ;). How obnoxious. I wouldn't sweat it, just ask his teacher on the first day. I think the PTA just learned a valuable, albeit expensive lesson in fund raising.

ETA: OP did you mention how much the PTA kits were? I'm dying to know!

Binkandabee
08-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Grrr, now I'm really annoyed. Knowing what I do now, I would feel bad if I didn't pay for the supplies my child was using, especially since the public schools here in California are already so strapped for cash. However, it's not my fault that the PTA used their funds in what I think was a really stupid manner! Argh!!! :banghead:

The more I think about this, the more it becomes clear how absurd this really is. It's a dreadful approach at fundraising. They spent the money first in hopes of maybe collecting it back? It's also a dreadful way to garner goodwill for the PTA. They're basically saying "We bought school supplies only for those we can't bully into paying us back...aren't we nice?!" It's complete absurdity.

mom2binsd
08-24-2012, 04:31 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with the PTO around here. We have the kits, too, "for our conveninece." I do not buy them. But we don't get massive pressure at all, which is nice. I'd say send DC with what you bought! Email the teacher and ask for a list.

Same experience here. I don't buy the kit because it's about twice the cost of what I spend on my own, and it's not that hard to buy school supplies.

roseyloxs
08-24-2012, 04:39 PM

That is insane! Still not your problem though. I can't imagine anything in the kit will go bad so the PTA should be able to save the extras for next years fundraisers so I wouldn't feel so bad. What's the point of checking off names though? No one made a commitment to buy the kits so why do they care who buys them? The PTA will not be making very many friends with this kind of attitude.

katydid1971
08-24-2012, 04:51 PM

That is very stupid on the PTA's part. As a member of DS's school's PTO we will buy things for every student but not to have any of them to pay for it and we will buy things for students in low income families but they are distributed through the school counselor so only she know who's getting them. Sounds like you need new leadership in your PTA, I suggest you start going to the meetings and getting involved.

ETA: how much are they asking for them BTW?

wencit
08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
They are asking $38 for the kits. Based on last year's list (which I happened to stumble upon while Googling for the info), I purchased the same for $14. It's not really the amount that irks me, it's more the principle of the matter. Plus, being a member of this board, you know I love finding bargains! ;)

Local stores do not carry school supply lists. We are expected to get them from our individual schools. Also, since we're new to the school, we don't know anyone to ask about what's in the kits. I don't even think they've been distributed yet, as school doesn't start until next week.

This whole experience has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth with the PTA. I don't know why that lady was checking off names; that really rubbed me the wrong way. I'll probably ask the teacher about a supply list on the first day of school and see what she says.

codex57
08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Knowing that, I'm even more inclined to not buy the kit.

If they're that stupid, why would I give any more money to them? That's like putting an alcoholic in charge of the liquor cabinet.

94bruin
08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
The way our school does it is that funds from the PTA go towards material items. It is up to each individual family to decide whether or not they want to donate. You can even sponsor another child, if you want. Since the PTS buys everything, we don't have to purchase anything. It's kinda nice, in my opinion as all the kids will have the same supplies and I don't have to deal with finding supplies.

However, the pta makes it *very* clear that it's a donation. And this information is disseminated when we get out class lists the day before the start of school. In fact, I heard a report on NPR the other day that it is illegal to charge families fees. We have two weeks to donate money. The pta explains the donation at Back to school night, so it is expected at our school, but definitely confusing if you are new.

I think the pta rep you talked to was put of line.

Fairy
08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
I just have to say, I would have killed to have spent $38, let alone $14. I spent $70 and change. Then again, I just went to Staples and shoved the stuff in my cart and didn't bother looking at prices. It's worth it to me to just go, get the brands they want at the store convenient to me and be done. I hate this time of year, it's so stressful.

hellokitty
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Knowing that, I'm even more inclined to not buy the kit.

If they're that stupid, why would I give any more money to them? That's like putting an alcoholic in charge of the liquor cabinet.

:yeahthat: Maybe this will be a lesson to the PTA that they made a poor decision and should think a little harder next time before making another poor choice. I think it is crazy that they would take it upon themselves to just assume that ppl would happily go along with this and worse yet, guilting ppl into it, due to their own stupid decisions.

Kungjo
08-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I'd be annoyed, too. Really annoyed.

I do buy the PTA school supply pack every year, though. It was $24.00 and for me worth every penny. I would have willingly paid twice that for it.

I would be so happy if our PTA sold it for $24. Ours are $50 each and I have to buy for 2 girls. Still it's worth it for me not to have to go around town getting them. Saves me time and gas and I'm not sweating to death running around in the summer.

I'm surprised that the school didn't release a list at Walmart or Target for you to buy from though.

georgiegirl
08-25-2012, 04:58 PM
How annoying!

Out PTO sells kits for $40, but I got everything at Target for $25.

Simon
08-26-2012, 09:46 AM
I've been trying to think of any reason that the PTO's actions sound like a good idea. I'm wondering if the school asked them to do this because they have a lot of families who don't bring supplies and so the classrooms end up without enough to go around. This way, there will be enough supplies for all. :shrug: I still don't think its a great idea, but that was the only sensible explanation I could come up with.