PDA

View Full Version : Convertible for grandma car

cookiemonster80
08-24-2012, 08:54 PM
My mom has a marathon right now that dd1 has been using, but we are about ready to visit her again and she needs another seat as we have dd2 now. Here is the criteria.
1. Inexpensive- these seats are just used about 1week a year so a huge investment just seems silly.
2. Convertible that will last for long as possible forward facing and hopefully last ring to 35 pounds.
3. Not TOO difficult to install-
4. Would be great if it wasn't too hard to adjust, but not that big a deal since it would be used so seldomly
5. It doesn't have to fit a newborn as she has the marathon already.
6. Doesn't have to be super super comfy although that would be a nice perk as she lives 2+hours from the airport so the car rides won't be super short

She has a sequoia right now so space isn't a big deal.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

chillinoutmaxin
08-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I feel like carseats get more expensive every year! The Cosco Scenera might work for you. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-5-Point-Convertible-Car-Seat-Black-Santee/13004563

It's rear facing to 35 pounds and forward facing to 40 pounds. $40

I just got an ad from Babies R Us that they're doing the "great trade in" again so maybe if you're looking for something nicer that could help.

Joolsplus2
08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Dumb question, but is dd1 still rearfacing? If she's forward, I'd get a combo seat like the Maestro (or Secure Kid, costs more, but makes a taller, comfier booster later, good headwings for that nap kids often take to and from airports) that has taller top slots than even the Marathon.

cookiemonster80
08-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Dumb question, but is dd1 still rearfacing? If she's forward, I'd get a combo seat like the Maestro (or Secure Kid, costs more, but makes a taller, comfier booster later, good headwings for that nap kids often take to and from airports) that has taller top slots than even the Marathon.

She's still rfing- does that change your recommendation?

Joolsplus2
08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I was just trying to give you a longer-lasting solution, since the visits are so rare and FF at age 2 in a part-time situation is certainly a safe choice. But a Scenera or Tribute or maybe Evenflo Titan 65/SureRide (here's a picture, it's on the right, it's at Target, but not Target.com for some reason today... http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2012-06-15_11-49-20_535.jpg) would be a good choice for a convertible.

cookiemonster80
08-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I was just trying to give you a longer-lasting solution, since the visits are so rare and FF at age 2 in a part-time situation is certainly a safe choice. But a Scenera or Tribute or maybe Evenflo Titan 65/SureRide (here's a picture, it's on the right, it's at Target, but not Target.com for some reason today... http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2012-06-15_11-49-20_535.jpg) would be a good choice for a convertible.

What is the main difference between the Tribute 5 and Titan Sport?

Thanks! Are either simple to install?

Joolsplus2
08-30-2012, 08:18 AM
The current Titan, the one with the 50lb limit, is measurably smaller than the Tribute. The seat pan is higher, making the top slots effectively shorter, I've seen lots of kids too big for this seat at around age 2. So the Tribute lasts a lot longer, despite the lower weight limit.

cookiemonster80
08-30-2012, 09:51 AM
The current Titan, the one with the 50lb limit, is measurably smaller than the Tribute. The seat pan is higher, making the top slots effectively shorter, I've seen lots of kids too big for this seat at around age 2. So the Tribute lasts a lot longer, despite the lower weight limit.

The tribute I'm looking at has a 30 pound weight limit rearfacing- so that would probably not work for us since DD1 is 31.5 pounds now. The Titan has a 35 rearfacing pound limit-but are you saying that the straps make it so a taller child within the weight limit wouldn't work rearfacing in this anyway?

DD is 35 inches, but is all torso and carries most of her height in her bum to head so this is a concern.

Joolsplus2
08-31-2012, 08:20 PM
All the Tributes are 35 now, just some of the online labeling is old. And yeah, both seats are kind of short, I wouldn't really expect most skinny kids to make it to a full 35 pounds in them rearfacing. (Marathon is like 24 inch bum to top of shell height, I think? These are like 21/22 inches tall). The Titan 65 is WAY way tall, no tape measure, but my 6 yo had shell above her head in it.

cookiemonster80
09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
All the Tributes are 35 now, just some of the online labeling is old. And yeah, both seats are kind of short, I wouldn't really expect most skinny kids to make it to a full 35 pounds in them rearfacing. (Marathon is like 24 inch bum to top of shell height, I think? These are like 21/22 inches tall). The Titan 65 is WAY way tall, no tape measure, but my 6 yo had shell above her head in it.

I don't see a Titan 65 for sale- do you mean the Triumph 65?