PDA

View Full Version : Daycare option with SAHM?

RV Mom
08-24-2012, 09:23 PM
I might have an opportunity to use a SAHM who has a 5 month as a daycare option for my DD. She was a teacher and now has her own DS and has decided to stay home. This mom has offered to meet to discuss the possibility of watching my DD.

Does anyone use a SAHM to watch their DS or DD?
How much would be reasonable to pay for this kind of arrangement?
What questions would I ask the mom when we meet?
It seems like this could be good option for childcare. What do you all think?

I plan to meet the mom and her DS soon to discuss how this might work. Looking for suggestions. Thanks for reading.

JustMe
08-24-2012, 11:39 PM
I have used a SAHM to watch dd for a while for afterschool only. She was not planning on it, but offered when she heard I was looking for someone. It worked really well for us and under the right conditions is a good choice. In my case, I did pay less than the going rate, but we were friendly already, she had not really been looking for a way to supplement her income, and she actually wanted a playmate for her dd.

I would ask her how much she wants to be compensated and see what you think. I would also think about what I would do if she or her ds was sick. I think that would be the major drawback to this type of situation. I would also asked if she planned on taking your dd to appointments for her and or her child and think about how you feel about (I was fine with this, but not everyone is).

Good luck, I think it can be a great situation with the right person!

ZeeBaby
08-25-2012, 07:49 AM
My DCP is a SAHM, but she runs the daycare as a professional business. She is licensed with the state and meets all appropriate guidelines. She charges $175 per week per child. I would find out the going rate in your area and negotiate what you think is fair. You may not want to pay the full going rate, but it is still full-time care and that might make a difference to her.

wellyes
08-25-2012, 08:48 AM
I might have an opportunity to use a SAHM who has a 5 month as a daycare option for my DD. She was a teacher and now has her own DS and has decided to stay home. This mom has offered to meet to discuss the possibility of watching my DD.

Does anyone use a SAHM to watch their DS or DD?
How much would be reasonable to pay for this kind of arrangement?
What questions would I ask the mom when we meet?
It seems like this could be good option for childcare. What do you all think?

I plan to meet the mom and her DS soon to discuss how this might work. Looking for suggestions. Thanks for reading.
I think a lot depends on how old her child is. If he's a newborn, that would take a ton of her attention energy - if it's her 1st she may not realize how much. If her son is older, especially 18+ months, it could be a really great opportunity for you to have someone take care of your little one!

I'd ask her what she did with her son when he was your daughter's age. I'd ask about all the obvious safety stuff (dogs, bumpos, stairs, etc). Will they ever leave the house. What would you need to provide (stroller, pack and play). What vacation does she expect to take.

I'd ask her what she expects for compensation and go from there. For an in-home day care provider watching only her own child & mine, I'd certainly pay the going rate for in-home care. Keep in mind most people are paying that much for one (licensed) women to watch 5-7 kids. This is more like a nanny, but you drop off at her house, right?

Hope it works out!!