PDA

View Full Version : What stroller should we get?

JessK87
08-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I have a long list of strollers that I want but Im wondering if I should try to start off with 1 newborn to toddler stroller. Im pregnant with my first baby due in Oct. I live in the Suburbs of Boston and sometimes take the T but mostly drive. I have a big SUV. We live near shoppes, beach, and walking trails. I love to walk and do so frequently. I am short 5ft and my husband is tall around 6ft. My must haves are reversible seat, adjustable handles, easy maneuverability, and a bassinet option.

My original idea for a fleet was
UPPAbaby vista - im worried i wont be able to see over the stroller especially if its reversed it seems huge!
Bugaboo bee - I dont love it for a small baby. The nest seems useless and i dont know if I like the quinny bassinet with the maxi cosi car seat adapters. cant track down toro bassinet. Love as a car stroller for a baby who can sit up.
Bob - when baby is past a year mostly for walking tails.
Maclaren techno XLR - I own this now and absolutely love it for a toddler. I use it with my nephews and they both love it. Thought about getting the bassinet but I wont be able to see over it either. I plan on using this for travel. Checks less important boxes.

Considering

Bugaboo cam C3 - Smaller then the Uppababy, checks all the boxes.
I didnt like bugaboo's fold before but now the C3 seems easier.

Bugaboo donkey - Thought about this as a one and only for a long time. But for one baby seems to be over kill. I played with it in the store and it did like it A lot. AMAZING PUSH. My best friend is pregnant with twins and this is her choice so Ill get to play with one in a few months.

versa

valco spark

Icandy

Honestly i think it will come down between Bugaboo C3 and UppaBaby Vista. Unless im missing something. Or I might just get the donkey as a walking stroller and a bee as a car stroller. I really just need to pick something hubby is getting annoyed! Supportive but still very annoyed.

Jupiter
08-25-2012, 11:08 AM
I like the Zooper Bolero and the JJ Cole Broadway (or First Years Wave which I believe are the same).

Bolero - comes with lots of accessories, converts to a bassinet that won't close in that position but will fit in my car open.

Broadway - can be reversed with the child in it and converts to a bassinet.

Unfortuately there are no stores around me that sell these. Also I'm not planning to get an infant seat so that isn't part of my equation.

roseyloxs
08-25-2012, 12:59 PM
This looks like a pretty decent video comparing the C2 and C3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skospmsTVqw&feature=related). Can't say the fold looks to be that much easier, its still a 2 piece after all.

If the sky is the limit for you how about importing the Easywalker June. I know the girls on this board would love to hear a firsthand account about it. Its brand new so you won't be able to find many reviews but its compact, has 4 air tires, reversible seat, and has an optional bassinet. Here is a breakdown from bestbuggy.co.uk (http://www.bestbuggy.co.uk/category/single/easywalker-june/). Looks like this retailer will ship to the US: http://www.babyjungle.nl/easywalker-june-p-16477.html

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMay2H0ndhrpNcZkzvo3MDUKhlM6OKX Mtt_tMbqBjZ5Ly5atEzjA

citcat53
08-25-2012, 03:12 PM
I am also petite and the Vista is a HUGE stroller IMO. I would not like to push it everyday...
I think the Valco Spark looks interesting and the BJ Versa aswell. You cannot beat that fold! In Europe there is a GT version of the Versa available.
LOVE it - the seat looks much cosier than the EW June's.
http://www.bestbuggy.co.uk/2012/08/baby-jogger-city-versa-gt/
I think if I get another baby this would be my favorite at the moment....

BTW, today I saw a Donkey in single's mode and it did not look THAT weird...

brgnmom
08-25-2012, 07:55 PM
I am also petite and the Vista is a HUGE stroller IMO. I would not like to push it everyday...

I am petite as well ( 5'3" without shoes), and we just bought the uppa baby vista yesterday. I don't find the vista huge or hard to maneuver. I'm using it as my primary stroller after having sold our bugaboo cam and Mac techno xt. My dd preferred the vista's seat and ride over some other strollers we checked out. Dd tried out the versa, bob, bee plus, Cruz, b ready, and city mini gt.

OP, I would suggest trying out the strollers in person and then making a decision. I had thought that we would buy a bob rev actually, but then we decided on the vista due to dd's preference and other factors (reversibility, range of accessories, extra uv sunshade). We also appreciate how the vista comes with an amazing bassinet which may come in handy possibly in the future.

candaceb
08-25-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm 5'0" and the Vista was/is my dream stroller. It was my one big splurge. It was my primary stroller until about the time DS turned 1, and now I mostly just use it for outings - I love the giant basket.

For regular use, the height of the handle doesn't bother me, but for exercise it does. I have a Mountain Buggy Swift that I use for my walks and I really feel the difference in its adjustable handle (and I don't even use the lowest setting!).

Looking over the Vista has never been a problem or concern for me. The two things that bother me the most about the Vista are the weight to lift into the car (and the amount of space it takes up in my relatively small trunk) and the width of the wheel base which makes it a pain to maneuver through places like small-ish stores and doctors' offices. I use my Mac Quest for places where space is an issue and for travel. I stopped traveling with the Vista after the time that it was sent to oversized baggage at our connection - it was in the Vista travel bag and they didn't recognize it as a stroller or see the gate check tag apparently. I had such a heart attack over the thought of never seeing my stroller again that I decided it wasn't worth traveling with it.

spannaz
08-26-2012, 01:38 PM
FWIW- the Toro bassinet is on mystrollers.com for $194... so a bit pricey... :)

JessK87
08-29-2012, 12:44 AM
We are going with uppa baby vista and bugaboo bee. Which was my original stroller beginner fleet. (well after stalking this board for a few weeks these seemed like the best strollers for my lifestyle) I think Im just second guessing every decision due to crazy pregnancy brain. The vista is big but I love everything about it. The bee is a perfect car stroller I dont love the look but the function and push are amazing! Thank you all for your help!

legaleagle
08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Enjoy! Which colors are you getting?

edurnemk
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
If your 5' I think the Vista handle may be too tall even at it's lowest setting. I'm 5'4" and it's OK for me but on the tall side, if I was a couple of inches shorter it might be too tall, IMO. Be sure to try it out IRL to make sure you're comfortable with it (picture a LONG walk with it).

I also have a Bee now (with a Toro bassinet, agree the nest is kind of useless) and as much as I have loved the Vista's push, now that I tried the Bugaboo push, the Vista's doesn't feel as nice anymore (especially with the toddler boards (I have both), the bee is a million times easier to push with my 38 lb DS on the board, pushing him on the Vista board requires some effort).

That said you can't go wrong with the Vista I do love it, I've had it since DS and used it for hours everyday on bumpy sidewalks, snow, etc. without issues.

KonzaPrairie
08-29-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree with checking out the handle height on the Vista. I'm 5'0" and have a Cruz and find the lowest handle setting to be a click to high for me. I'm used to it but it would be really nice if it went lower.

hollissmama
08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
I felt like the Vista handle was a bit too high for me also, I am 5'4", it was a very tall seat which I liked for some things but made the stroller hard to see around and made it seem huge to me. Also after using my Vista for 6 months it seemed very creaky. I emailed customer service and they said that is part of normal wear. I was less than impressed by the outside push.
After selling it I bought a Bugaboo frog on CL, the push is really not compareable to the Vista IMO. I would suggest the C3. :) Plus the footprint is so small, it handles really well inside smaller places.

JessK87
08-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Luckily for me my friend has the UppaBaby vista in all black and I got to take her little one for a walk today! Although I admit it is a little hard for me to see over, I found the handle height (on the lowest setting) very comfortable and I enjoyed the walk and so did her beautiful baby. My hubby got to play around with it as well and we are both very much in love with this stroller! We plan on getting the Vista in Cole (the bluish grey color with the silver frame. ) Hubby is madly in love with the bugaboo bee and we plan on getting the all black edition and buying the Jade green canopy to go with it. Our baby's gender is a surprise so we want gender neutral gear.

legaleagle
08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Excellent color choices :)