PDA

View Full Version : How far in advance to plan for DL?

twowhat?
08-26-2012, 12:40 PM
My first DL post!!! :)

So we're thinking of visiting some friends who live close to Disneyland over president's day weekend (mid-Feb 2013), and maybe getting there in the middle of that week (tues) to try to get a couple of days in at Disneyland before the holiday weekend crowd hits. We'll probably do a monorail hotel or whatever would make it easiest to hit the parks that our girls would like most (they'll be 4.5 then).

So my question is how far in advance do we need to start booking things like hotel, character meals, etc? We really only plan to do a couple of days (don't want to overdo it, esp since this will be the girls' first plane trip and dealing with the 2 hr time difference, etc.) We'd like to just hit a few key things at a leisurely pace. But I do want to try to cover what we can at this age that will be "magical" because the next time we do it likely won't be for another few or several years.

But it hit me yesterday that maybe we have to book hotels and stuff MONTHS in advance! Do we need to start scrambling now or do we have time? I'll take any other general first-time-to-visit-DL-with-4.5yos-advice too!

hmmm ok I guess no monorail at DL? As you can see, I know nothing about it:)

smiles33
08-26-2012, 01:43 PM
It's not as crazy as WDW planning, from what I hear, since you have a lot more lodging options at DLR. At WDW, everyone advises staying on-site because it takes so long to get into the park. At DLR, some off-site hotels are closer to the gates than the on-site (e.g., Paradise Pier is farther than the places right at the crosswalk on Harbor Blvd). Thus, we opted to stay at the Howard Johnson Anaheim (they have two room Kids Suites with a king bed and bunk bed, plus Keurig, microwave and mini fridge for about $180/night!). It's also an easy 5-8 min walk to the gates. They only have like 12 Kids Suites, so they book up fast (I booked ours for April 2013 last month!). If you want a suite (due to napping kids, as we took a break every day and my them 5 year old was so tired she napped too!), the on-site hotels within a 5-8 minute walk charge $1,000+. The biggest benefit to staying on-site is the early access to the parks every day but right now that expires before Feb. 2013.

Anyhow, I fully acknowledge I went overboard researching for our trp last September but it all paid off. We had a fantastic trip and were still flexible enough to do different things and still accomplish all our key goals (e.g., meet all the princesses, Rapunzel, and Tinkerbell and for me to ride all the E-ticket rides).

If you're interested, I have plenty of info on my trip report at DLR here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2797260). Have a great time with your girls!

tny915
08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
You're thinking about the week before President's Day? If so, I think you're fine. I would think for anytime before Feb 16-24, you should be fine with planning even just a month in advance. Once you hit President's Day, a lot of schools get the entire week off and the parks will get busy, so if that were the week you were interested in, it's best to plan as far ahead as you can, depending on where you want to stay.

If you're thinking of staying on-site, we're partial to the Disneyland Hotel. I like walking back to the hotel through Downtown Disney and being close to the monorail. Even my 8yo naps in the afternoons when we go to Disneyland, so on-site or off-site, a hotel close by really helps out. You may not get early access to the parks everyday by staying on-site, but there should be at least a day or two reserved for hotel guests early entry each week.

Check out the disboards forums smiles33 linked to. Tons of info there to help you plan!

sste
08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Smiles, how many days do you rec. ideally for DL? DH has a conference in San Diego and we are thinking about piggybacking a DL trip onto that.

Also, was there a way to remove the ladder to the bunkbeds? The Hojo sounds awesome! My only concern is that both my kids are too young to safely be in a bunkbed or be climbing up into one (DS is probably ok age-wise but he is a klutz!). DD will be in crib or pack n play when we go.

twowhat?
08-26-2012, 04:59 PM
You're thinking about the week before President's Day? If so, I think you're fine. I would think for anytime before Feb 16-24, you should be fine with planning even just a month in advance. Once you hit President's Day, a lot of schools get the entire week off and the parks will get busy, so if that were the week you were interested in, it's best to plan as far ahead as you can, depending on where you want to stay.

If you're thinking of staying on-site, we're partial to the Disneyland Hotel. I like walking back to the hotel through Downtown Disney and being close to the monorail. Even my 8yo naps in the afternoons when we go to Disneyland, so on-site or off-site, a hotel close by really helps out. You may not get early access to the parks everyday by staying on-site, but there should be at least a day or two reserved for hotel guests early entry each week.

Check out the disboards forums smiles33 linked to. Tons of info there to help you plan!

Yes, we are definitely thinking the week before president's day - sorry I said memorial day above - can't keep my holidays straight. I fixed it:) I read somewhere on here that president's day weekend is the start of the busy season. So that'll give us a couple days (maybe 3?) on our own to hang out at DL, and then the weekend to hang out with our friends.

I will definitely check out disboards. Thanks for the replies so far! I'm feeling major pressure to get this right since this'll be our only only shot at an age where the girls will still believe that it's really mickey and minnie:)

lalasmama
08-26-2012, 07:49 PM
The week before President's Day will be a great time. As a PP noted, many schools in that area are given off the whole week of President's Day, so the parks tend to fill more during that week. (In that area, it's called Ski Week, apparently.)

FWIW, I had decided last Sept that we were going to DL the following Feb. I did some preliminary planning (hotel, air, transportation to/from airport) early on, then, overall, ignored any more planning until after the new year came.

Overall, those 8 weeks of planning were just about perfect. It allowed me time to read up on the rides (read The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland, which is put out yearly, and has tour plans, suggestions, and reviews of EVERYTHING in the area!). It gave me just enough time to get really excited about the trip, and something to look forward to after the post-Christmas blahs.

Because it's smaller than WDW, the planning isn't nearly as scary, IMO. You can make dining reservations within days of going. We actually called up 2 hours ahead of time and got reservations for a character meal at Plaza Inn.

Regarding the monorail, I understand at WDW, it's a mode of transportation. For DLR, it's more of an attraction/ride. You *can* walk over to the monorail and get into DLR there, but then it will take you into the middle of Tomorrow Land. IMO, that's totally losing the cool feeling of the front gates, seeing the giant floral Mickey, walking under the railroad tracks, under the sign about leaving today and entering yesterday tomorrow and fantasy, then walking down Main Street. (Oh, how I can't wait to go back!) There's just something so special about walking up Main Street, seeing the castle, and knowing "I'm at Disneyland!" Taking the monorail in, IMO, just isn't the same experience--you go through a tiny entrance gate (like 2 ticket-takers), then climb up the stairs, and get on the monorail when it comes by. Just not the same magic! And, realistically, there are plenty of hotels that are off-site that are just as close (some closer!) than the DLH.

Definitely join us over at the Disboards. Someone from here mentioned that the Dis seems really "big" and "overwhelming" and it can be. But, once you find the Disneyland area, you're only dealing with 2 boards, and they are less busy than here :) They are a welcoming bunch... well, unless your first post is asking for a reservation to Club 33 (the exclusive, members only restaurant in DL).

smiles33
08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Smiles, how many days do you rec. ideally for DL? DH has a conference in San Diego and we are thinking about piggybacking a DL trip onto that.

Also, was there a way to remove the ladder to the bunkbeds? The Hojo sounds awesome! My only concern is that both my kids are too young to safely be in a bunkbed or be climbing up into one (DS is probably ok age-wise but he is a klutz!). DD will be in crib or pack n play when we go.

You know, it totally depends on your family's goals. My kids were/are timid, so I knew already that we'd mostly focus on attractions/M&Gs. DD1 (then 5) refused to go on any dark rides, so we were in Fantasyland for all of 2-3 hours (Princess Fantasy Faire/Tangled M&G and then Dumbo, carousel, storybook train, and mad tea party). If your kids like Fantasyland, that can take up much more time standing in line, as Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Alice, Snow White, etc. are slow lines and don't have FPs.

For us, 2.5 days worked out really well. But if they wanted to do Fantasyland and I wasn't able to get them up for the early Magic Morning (where you *can* do all the Fantasyland rides in about an hour if you're lucky), I might do 3 full days or 4. Some folks do 5-6 day trips, but I think that's a bit exhausting for kids without a lot of stamina, even if you break for naps everyday.

As for HoJo, I don't think the ladder was removable. It was built-in so it didn't even wobble (like the old bunkbed I had as a kid that could lift off but would wobble when you climbed up it!).

Good luck planning!

BayGirl2
08-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Agree with PP's, and planning for DL can be way less stressful than WDW.

There are several decent hotels offsite across the street, so if you are looking to control costs those are a very good option. If you're looking for the most magical, once in a long time experience and willing to splurge a bit then the 3 on site hotels are the way to go IMO. Being within walking distance is a high priority for most people, especially if you're dealing with a stroller. Right now you may want to make reservations at a few places off and on site that you can cancel as it gets closer. I booked kid suites at Hojo (biggest) and Carousel Inn(closest) and a regular room at DLH (onsite). Once we got closer we decided to splurge and stay on site, and get early entrance every day in a more resort like setting. But we had the other options available in case we needed to save $$ or DL's benefits changed. There are packages too, but most aren't that much savings, so do the math. If DL offers a discount later they will apply it to your existing reservation if you call.

Dining reservations only start 60 days out and can usually be arranged at the last minute. I suggest figuring out your ideal times/meals, especially for character meals, and making reservations at 60 days for peace of mind. But know that you can always call and shift things around and cancel or add at the last minute.

I think most people these days would say 3 days in both parks is the minimum. We are doing 4 and a pool day (with cabana at DLH :-) ). If you really don't mind missing a lot or being rushed 2 days might be ok, but if you are flexible i'd plan for 4. With Carsland and all the DL stuff, I think you can easily fill 4 days. Your DC's will be able to do a lot, almost everything, so might as well make the most of it!

I'm a planner, so this was my strategy. Smiles and others on the DIS had lots of good tips. I think you can do it with way less planning and still have a good time. Have fun!

BayGirl2
08-26-2012, 10:28 PM
One more thing - check the DIS for last years hours in Feb. In the low season its often only 10-8 and some shows (Fantasmic!, Fireworks) are on weekends only. If so, you may want to plan to be there on at least one Sun or Fri night so you can catch that stuff.

My DS wasn't a ride kid but just around his 3rd bday got really into tea cups, roller coasters, everything. We've watched a lot of DL videos and I anticipate him wanting to ride everything he can. Plus just being able to walk at a leisurely pace and really check out Carsland and the details of the park the way kids like to do. We won't do character meets unless there's no line, DD's luckily too young for the princess thing (although DS is kinda into them now). So I'll report back on how 4 days goes, we leave one week from today.

tny915
08-27-2012, 02:12 AM
We go to Disneyland about twice a year and usually spend 4 full days. Aside from getting to the gates right at opening/early entry to avoid ride lines, we are pretty leisurely and don't spend our whole day in the parks. We don't ride coasters or thrill rides, are only in the parks from opening hour till lunch and another couple hours in the evening, swim and nap in the afternoon for 3-4 hours, and get back to the hotel by 8-9pm for bedtime. 4 days is just right for us.

We were just there 2 weeks ago. We were in the parks for 3.5 days, and I wished we could have had just one more day. We experienced the madness that is Carsland and ended up spending 2 of our days at Disney California Adventure (DCA). We usually spend just one day at DCA, but we enjoyed the Radiator Springs Racers so much we went back for another day. Carsland is lit up beautifully at night. I'd recommend checking it out after the sun sets if you can.

I'm jealous of those of you planning trips. I already want to go back!

BayGirl2
08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
...... Carsland is lit up beautifully at night. I'd recommend checking it out after the sun sets if you can.

I'm jealous of those of you planning trips. I already want to go back!

This is what I've heard. They light up the neon and sing "life would be a dream" at sunset just like in the movie. Did you see that, and if so, was it at sunset exactly or before/after?

Sorry, hijacking OP! But just in terms of days planning, if you want to Carsland at sunset, see World of Color AND do Fantasmic! and watch the fireworks you'd need 2 nights in DCA and 1-2 nights (weekend or busy season) in DL. I just ran into this in planning, its hard to line up for WOC and see the Carsland lights on the same night in the low season when parks close at 8 on weeknights.

tny915
08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
This is what I've heard. They light up the neon and sing "life would be a dream" at sunset just like in the movie. Did you see that, and if so, was it at sunset exactly or before/after?

I didn't see the lighting ceremony, but I found this on DISboards. Check the daily schedule that comes with the maps, or ask a cast member.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2951109

Honestly, my girls don't even care about Cars and haven't seen any of the movies. We went to Carsland for DH and I. Disney did a wonderful job and put in so much detail.
http://micechat.com/7058-cars-land-photos/

For those who may be overwhelmed with the DISboards, I'm just a lurker there but the only forum I ever visit is this one for Disneyland. It has everything you could ever want to know, and then some.
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

twowhat?
08-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Thank you all!!! This makes me feel better about planning. Not so daunting after all:) And thank you for the link to the disneyland forum on disboards...I was looking last night and yes, was TOTALLY overwhelmed by it!

Those kid suites look so nice - it's too bad they are bunk beds though! I don't think ours are old enough to safely sleep in the top bunk.

I think we could definitely swing more days in DL by just getting there earlier in the week...will have to talk to DH and see what he thinks. I'd definitely rather take things at a leisurely pace, especially give that our girls aren't athletic and don't have great stamina.