PDA

View Full Version : How long does a diaper rash usually last?

Mopey
08-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Miss Mopey has her first rash. It seemed to get better a couple of days ago but now is spreading. She sleeps a good chunk (9 to 12 hours) at night, newly with her fanny in the air & legs tucked under so it's spreading across her front/pubic bone area. Despite lots of changes, washing, air drying and A&D ointment it isn't really going away. Seems a bit better sometimes, a bit worse others. FWIW, she doesn't always poop every day and we are all great about changing her no matter what. I think it's been five days now.

Any advice is so appreciated :) TIA!

edurnemk
08-26-2012, 11:24 PM
The only time a rash has lasted more than a day or two inour house it was due to yeast and it needed an Rx from our Ped. Did you change diapers? Is she eating anything new?

I find A&D to be good for prevention or light rashes, for bad rashes I love Triple Paste. Also, let her go without a diaper for a while each day, put her on a towel in case she pees. The best remedy is air and sunlight.

AngB
08-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Ditto the air. Also I've found that putting DS in the bath helps, it usually looks a little less irritated when he comes out, that may be just because of the air though.

We also use a lot of A&D every diaper change when he starts looking even a little irritated which helps.

I agree that it could be the type of diapers you are using (Luvs, Pampers Baby Dry, and the new Target Up&Up give DS rashes. He also gets rashes from the suedefleece or whatever it is that lines most cloth diapers, so cloth diapering didn't really work well with him unless I used microfleece liners which was a pita.) He also gets rashy when he eats a lot of fruit, especially citrus-y stuff like oranges, if you are breastfeeding and eating a lot of fruit, it might be a consideration.

Also, I am totally jealous of your Miss Mopey sleeping 9-10 hours! Those days were glorious! I don't think DS has slept through the night since he turned a year old.

mikala
08-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Any chance you just switched diaper or wipes brands or opened a new pack? Diaper brand/ingredient changes have caused rashes for us in the past.

Has she started solids? Some solid foods were also problematic for us, especially citrus and tomato. Both caused a temporary but nasty looking rash.

Agree w/ PP recommendation to give it as much air as possible with naked tummy time. I also ditch the commercial wipes during diaper rash times and instead use plain water and a tiny bit of mild soap if needed on a soft cloth because it seems gentler on broken skin.

Good luck!

Liziz
08-27-2012, 07:38 AM
The only time DD had a diaper rash that wasn't getting better by day 3-4, it was a yeast diaper rash. It might be worth checking out a couple pictures of yeast diaper rash and seeing if it matches what Miss Mopey has. Otherwise, what's worked best for us is 1)as much air time as possible; 2)switching to water-only for wiping...use cloth washcloths (or at least rinse out your diaper wipes w/ water); 3)making sure the diaper area is absolutely, completely, 100% dry before putting on the new diaper; 4)we've had good luck w/ Boudroux Butt Paste, I like the "natural" one better, but don't think it works quite as well for bad rashes. Finally, when DD had her first bad rash with broken skin, the pedi gave us some bacitracin (sp?). We use that now if she gets any broken skin, and that seems to make a major difference in healing time, too.

Mopey
08-27-2012, 10:31 AM
wow. well googling "yeast diaper rash" was far scarier than I thought. Those poor things!! The first picture is nausea-inducing to say the least :(

Well, it does look like it might be a very mild case of yeast. She is still only on formula and will not start solids for about another month. She has used regular Pampers and sensitive, she's on regulars now because there were no sensitive left, but she's been fine with them up to last week.

Possible she could have picked something up from being changed in the airplane bathroom last week?

Thanks so much for the help ladies. Putting triple paste onto our diaper order today, and going back to the Pampers sensitive. And calling the ped :)

Liziz
08-27-2012, 09:31 PM
wow. well googling "yeast diaper rash" was far scarier than I thought. Those poor things!! The first picture is nausea-inducing to say the least :(

Oh no, I feel like that's my fault...I'm sorry! I wasn't thinking this morning -- I did the same thing (googling "yeast diaper rash") a couple months ago when I was concerned it's what DD had...and had the same reaction you did. I blame the fact that DD has lately decided she doesn't need sleep on my not thinking that through!

Mopey
08-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Oh no, I feel like that's my fault...I'm sorry! I wasn't thinking this morning -- I did the same thing (googling "yeast diaper rash") a couple months ago when I was concerned it's what DD had...and had the same reaction you did. I blame the fact that DD has lately decided she doesn't need sleep on my not thinking that through!

LOL hang in there and hopefully you won't forget anything major :)

I called the ped but they've been seriously backed up so hopefully we'll get it going tomorrow! She doesn't seem to be suffering.

lizzywednesday
08-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Well, it does look like it might be a very mild case of yeast. She is still only on formula and will not start solids for about another month. She has used regular Pampers and sensitive, she's on regulars now because there were no sensitive left, but she's been fine with them up to last week.

Possible she could have picked something up from being changed in the airplane bathroom last week?

Thanks so much for the help ladies. Putting triple paste onto our diaper order today, and going back to the Pampers sensitive. And calling the ped :)

Frankly, I think Pampers are the Devil.

My DD developed a yeast diaper rash with Pampers within her first 12 hours IN THE HOSPITAL.

She came home after 2 weeks with a serious rash and our first visit to the pediatrician included a 'script for Nystatin.

We switched to Huggies Pure & Natural (which are neither "pure" nor "natural" but they are unscented & fairly free of dyes and other cr@p) and she was fine 'til 9 months. After that, we switched to cloth overnight.

She's still prone to yeast with 'sposies so I'm a lot more eager to potty train her, but she's still not 100% on board.