PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of IKEA toddler beds?

ssand23
08-27-2012, 10:40 AM
These look super cute & while part of me isn't thrilled that I'd need to buy one of their mattresses, I do like that they are longer than the crib mattress we already have since I have a tall 2 year old (he's over 40 inches at 2). We are very low on space otherwise I'd just skip ahead to a twin.

Does anyone have an IKEA toddler bed? Which do you have & what are your thoughts on these.

I'm trying to find one that has the most coverage on the sides since my son is an active sleeper & I don't need him to roll out of the bed (my big girls did actually roll out of their beds & got hurt pretty bad, 2 of them on separate occasions rolled out & landed on their faces, putting teeth through their lips & breaking teeth, I don't need a repeat of that).

Thanks!

mommyp
08-30-2012, 01:16 AM
We have one that DD used and we're saving for DS. I can't find the model online so maybe they don't make it anymore. It is kind of like this one, but was solid (and shaped) on 3 sides instead of slats.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39887442/

It came with a guard rail which worked well for us (the typical Ikea one, like in the picture of the Kritter bed, which is pretty cute). We liked it for all the reasons you are considering it, DD is a very active sleeper and her room is not that big! She's in a twin loft bed now, but we found the longer toddler bed to be a good buy in the interim. She used it for almost two years and it is still in great shape for when DS will need it.

anonomom
08-30-2012, 01:42 PM
We have the toddler Mammut bed (the one that looks like a cartoon bed). If you're aware that these take special mattresses, you're already a step ahead of where we were. DH brought it home and we built it, dropped the crib mattress in, and only then realized that the bed was a foot longer than we'd expected. We filled the gap with pillows for months. Klassy.

Anyway, we have really liked the bed. DD has been in it since she was about 2 years, 3 months old. It has held up well and although it doesn't have side rails, it's low enough to the ground that we haven't worried about her falling out.

Two notes: It is HEAVY and was kind of a pain to put together. Also, if you buy it at the store, be aware that you will need to buy the slats separately, no matter what the SA tells you.