PDA

View Full Version : My turn... potty training woes

boogiemomz
08-27-2012, 11:34 AM
So, I never wanted to fight the PT battle, just wanted to let her do it on her own time. A couple of months ago, she suddenly started asking to use the potty, would come home from long outings with a dry diaper then ask to use the potty when we got home (once I was putting her in the car at Target, our last stop on an errands run, and she said "I want to use the potty when we get home," and she waited, diaper was dry when we got home and she did a big pee in the potty), etc. So we got some undies and had her in undies all day for probably two weeks (still was in diapers at night). Then she started just squatting and peeing on the carpet and not saying anything, we would go in the playroom and find a wet spot on the floor and she's just playing/reading with wet pants. So, back to diapers--again, I just don't want to fight with her about it because she'll win and I'll go crazy. But here we are, about to start preschool again, and she is showing NO interest in the potty. I really want it to be up to her, but I admit I'm disappointed. Just now, eating her snack, she said "I want to try the potty" (first time she's mentioned it in many weeks) so I calmly sprung into action but she changed her mind before I could get her pants down. I know it will probably be counter productive for me to pressure her, she's extremely stubborn, but I'm discouraged, since she obviously knows exactly what to do and is capable of it, she just doesn't want to. Anyone BTDT? Any advice appreciated.

BabbyO
08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't stress about it too much. Stachio is a little older than your daughter. He did the exact same thing. He was REALLY into the potty at about 27-28 mo, but then totally dis-interested as he approached 3 yo. I was starting to stress about it a little bit because he's in a PT classroom and many of his classmates that started the year with him have already moved up to the next classroom (they move up once they are PT).

Anyway, about a month ago he told me he wanted to wear underwear (He had turned 3 a month earlier) one Saturday. We haven't looked back since. He wears underwear every day. We weren't able to do the 3 day method, so we still have some accidents, esp with poop. But he's pee trained fully and about 50% poop trained.

The key was he decided he wanted to do it. And frankly, it was like a light switch. The night before I asked if he would go on the potty before bed (we always ask him to go 1st thing in the AM and right before bed or he'd soak through his diapers). He refused to go. The next AM he told DH he wanted to wear undies.

I'd hold tight a little longer. Give her until at least 3 yo...she may surprise you yet.

boogiemomz
08-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks... I know that's what I need to hear. I'll just have to grit my teeth every time I head to the store for more diapers. :banghead:

hillview
08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
I agree with child led on this -- however I am not above a reward -- have you offered a reward? We did m&ms!

BabbyO
08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks... I know that's what I need to hear. I'll just have to grit my teeth every time I head to the store for more diapers. :banghead:

Hehehe...I thought we weren't PT for quite a bit longer and I bought a case of diapers for DS. DH thought we still needed a case and he got one too. Then we got dipes back from DCP's that weren't being used. In week 2 or 3 of PT I had nearly 3 CASES of diapers for DS. Thankfully 2 were unopened and I was able to return/exchange them for DS2's size. The last case we're slowly using at night or we'll just keep for when DS2 is in this size...or I'll shlep them off to someone else who uses Sz 5 just to clear up the house a bit.