PDA

View Full Version : What's next after Rainbow Magic Fairy books?

goldenpig
08-27-2012, 11:11 PM
DD (just turned 5) has been reading the Rainbow Magic Fairy book series every day all summer (thanks for the suggestion, citymama!). I've tried to get her interested in some of the other beginning chapter books like Magic Treehouse, but she's only interested in the fairy books. Sometimes she will read them out loud to us, but usually she reads them silently to herself. I've tried reading more difficult books to her (Charlotte's Web, Alice in Wonderland etc) but she usually prefers to read on her own. The problem is she's finished pretty much every one in the library and a whole backpack full that her older cousin lent us.

So, is there another book series (or individual titles) at a similar reading level that I could get her hooked on? If your child read Rainbow Magic Fairy, what did they move onto next? I've asked the librarian but they usually just point me to the easy reader section and I haven't gotten any great suggestions even when I asked specifically for similar books. DD also likes the Magic School Bus series and we also have books at home on Princess Stories, Disney Stories and Usborne Grimm Fairy Tales that she likes. I think she only likes chapter books that still have lots of illustrations.

Thanks for any suggestions!

kwc
08-28-2012, 01:35 AM
DD liked the American Girl books also but they are a bit harder (so good for reading to her). Also a bit harder are the Tinkerbell Pixie Hollow fairy books. Probably a bit beyond your DD's level still, but the Ruby Lu books by Lenore Look are good chapter books with a Chinese-American girl protagonist.

Geronimo Stilton?
At that age, DS also enjoyed A to Z mysteries and Andrew Lost which were about the same level, and both DS and DD loved Magic School Bus series. Oddly since he loves history, DS will only read a Magic Tree House book if he has no other choices... I don't think he found the main characters interesting and the pace too slow.

Other shorter chapter books with pictures are the Arnold Lobel (Frog and Toad), Lillian Hoban and Russell Hoban (Frances the hedgehog and Arthur series books) in the new/ leveled reader section, as well as some Cynthia Rylant (Poppleton, Henry and Mudge) or Amelia Bedelia books.

If you can get your hands on Mercy Watson books (by Kate di Camillo, who also wrote Desperaux and many others), they are hilariously illustrated short chapter books about a pet pig whose "parents" think she is human.

Personally, I find the Rainbow Magic books sooooo insipid (and they all seem the same) so I never read them to DD though she used to check them out of the library 6 at a time. Fortunately now that she is older we can always find more books for her to read that appeal to both of us.
I preferred to check out picture books from the library and discuss with DD (since they are pretty expensive). I tried to check out most of the ones on the California Young Reader Medal winners and these days I let DD (now 9... they read them all each year at school) pick out a few of each year's winners to add to our collection at home.

goldenpig
08-28-2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks kwc! This is a great list to get us started!

ITA about the horribly formulaic fairy books. I can't believe how many books there are, all with the same exact plot. On the other hand, she loves to read them, so if it's motivating her and getting her hooked on reading, it's better than nothing!

Can't wait to try some of your other suggestions!

Neatfreak
08-28-2012, 04:54 AM
DD1 went onto reading a few of Beverly Cleary's Ramona books after the Rainbow Magic ones, and also the Ivy & Bean series.

kwc
08-28-2012, 02:30 PM
DD1 went onto reading a few of Beverly Cleary's Ramona books after the Rainbow Magic ones, and also the Ivy & Bean series.

Yes! Love Ivy and Bean! Way less sassy than Junie B Jones!

And the Charlie and Lola author has a slightly older chapter series as well. Clarissa Bean? Though maybe not enough pictures for the OPs DD.

Twoboos
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
A good stiff drink is needed after the Fairy books. :ROTFLMAO: Yes, I am very very tired of them!!

I do like Ivy & Bean though, and my girls enjoy them.

baileygirl
08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I have 2 boys, so I haven't read these myself...but my I remember my niece reading the Pixie Hollow books after the Rainbow Magic books. You mentioned you have Disney books, so perhaps she has already read them?

mnosky1
08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
My DD never read the fairy books but loved Junie B jones at that age (which I begrudingly let her read) and Started reading the American girl historical series (and still reads at age 9). She has really liked the Katie Kazoo series (there are a ton) although might be a tad higher reading but still basic. The Mercy Watson pig book series was just suggested by a fabulous kids employee at the book store and it has big print and Cute color pictures - my 9 year old thought it looked good but a little young for her.

doberbrat
08-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Before handing her the Junie B Jones you might want to skim one first. It came highly recommended to me and I could not believe how obnoxious she was just in the first 10 pages. That one disappeared quickly and no more are coming home. I know others love them but I dont.

and call me crazy but I kinda LIKE the Rainbow Magic books. :bag I'll take them over a disney princess book any day!

Whoopie Goldberg wrote a couple of books that we liked. We also read these books - both are from series and we liked the individual books - just didnt get around to ordering more of either series from the library.

Wedding flowers / Cynthia Rylant ; illustrated by Wendy Anderson Halperin
Fairy riding school / Kelly McKain ; illustrated by Nicola Slater.

is there another library where you could ask for recommendations? b/c we've always gotten much better answers than that from both the libraries where we go. I'll try to remember to get some recommendations for you when I go next time.

I loved the Trixie Belden books as a child but I think she's a little young for them. I didnt read them till closer to 7.

lkarp
08-29-2012, 02:04 PM
My DD (age 6) loves fairies as well and has read some of the Rainbow Magic books. I discovered The Faeries Promise series by Kathleen Duey at the library and find them be A LOT more interesting than Rainbow Magic. DD read through the Faeries Promise and its companion series, The Unicorn's Secret over the summer and LOVED them. It also took her a little bit longer to finish a book in the above series. With Rainbow Magic she would finish a book under an hour!

citymama
08-30-2012, 02:37 AM
My DD loves the British author Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree and Enchanted Wood books. They're great - not popular in the US, but very popular in the UK and Canada. You can find them on amazon.com.

I am so glad DD is outgrowing the Rainbow Magic Fairy books but she did love them! Magic Treehouse is popular here, Ivy and Bean, Pippi Longstocking, Mary Poppins (box set of 3), and most recently, the Goddess Girls (featuring Athena, Artemis et al). However, although I love the Greek goddess themes, I skimmed one of the books and found it is geared more to the 9-12 set (e.g, crushes on Greek gods) so I'm not crazy about her reading those right now.