PDA

View Full Version : Even more confused about stroller choice...

wangstar
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Sometimes, having more information may not be a good thing.
I was set on the Uppababy Cruz from before I was preggo but after reading the Baby Bargain Book and the posts in the stroller thread, I am back to square one.

For our lifestyle, we drive everywhere in a SUV so trunk space and stroller weight is not a major issue but I don't want push around a baby bus.
I like to go walking/jogging but it's not always a niced paved sidewalk, so somthing with all terrain tires would be nice but not neccessary. I'm still up in the air about an infant car seat but having the option of infant car seat compatible is also nice but again not neccessary.

For sure, I want a stroller that's ...
rear facing (NON NEGOTIABLE)
180 degrees recline to be infant compatible
good size canopy
good size storage basket

I've narrowed the choices to:
Uppababy Cruz
Valco Spark (have never seen it in person, only online)
Baby Jogger City Select
Baby Jogger City Versa

I've ruled out Bugaboo completely b/c I think it's just rediculous to have to spend that kind of money on a stroller and you still have to buy all the parts separately (even though I do like the Bee).

Thought and feedback PLEASE!!!!!

queenmama
08-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I vote Spark. It has everything and a "built in" bassinet. Versa would be my second choice because of the fold, and I don't love the other two. ;)

edurnemk
08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
I would go with air tires definitely, the Spark has air tires right? Plus the seat turning into a bassinet is a big plus in my book.

The City Select, I've heard the steering is not as good with 2 seats (if you plan to use it as a double down the road) and the seats are small, plus it's really long.

I have a Vista, I really like it, but on bumpy terrain the push and suspension are not ideal. The Cruz has smaller wheels even, it's more of an indoor stroller. I also have a Bee and LOVE the push (waaaay better than the Vista's), but it's also not an AT stroller.

wellyes
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
I'd get a Bee :P Sorry, but, many many many stroller purchases later, I find you get what you pay for. Just buy the best you can muster.

edurnemk
08-29-2012, 10:43 AM
I'd get a Bee :P Sorry, but, many many many stroller purchases later, I find you get what you pay for. Just buy the best you can muster.

Totally agree, I :heartbeat: my Bee, BUT I would not use it for walking or jogging on uneven terrain on a daily basis (even though my Bee handled cobblestones amazingly well the other day).

OP, sometimes a 2 stroller combo fits best, i.e. a car / everyday stroller and a true AT (for what you are describing I would def. get air tires). BTW you can't jog with all AT strollers and also not with a young baby. I think none of the ones on your list can be used for true jogging.

KonzaPrairie
08-29-2012, 10:45 AM
I vote Valco Spark. I think it's the best value out there right now. Not sure when your baby is due, but the best time to buy is around a holiday. So Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas. I got my Cruz for 20% off last Thanksgiving.

I don't think you would want to actually go jogging with any of these strollers. That's something you will want a dedicated jogging stroller for. But I wouldn't worry about that at all right now since you're not supposed to jog with baby until they are 8 months +.

Philly Mom
08-29-2012, 10:52 AM
I vote Bee (every day I love it more and more). Otherwise, I am intrigued by the Spark or Versa. I hear the push on the cruz is not good and therefore not worth it IMO. I love the weight of the Bee. Lifting it in and out of the car, sometimes with DD in my arms, (if taking stroller out while car is in garage) it is really easy.

wangstar
08-29-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't plan on jogging wiith this stroller, just like the option of walking on not so friendly terrain. My friend has an actual jogging stroller that she's going to give me, not sure which she has.

wangstar
08-29-2012, 11:27 AM
I vote Valco Spark. I think it's the best value out there right now. Not sure when your baby is due, but the best time to buy is around a holiday. So Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas. I got my Cruz for 20% off last Thanksgiving.+.

I'm due Jan 23, so I have a few holidays in between to shop for the best price. Maybe I'll get lucky on Black Friday.:bouncy:

Jennifer626
08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I vote Bugaboo Frog...you can buy a used one on your local craigslist, they go for $300-$400 in my area, and you can use it for a year, then sell it and get all of your money back!

shmeetz
08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
dont know enough about them all but i have BJCS and it's not recommended from birth (though I can't say I dont do it) It doesn't lay completely flat and officially only ok from birth with the carseat adapter.

Yes, it is longer, and push is hard as a double, but still i think it's a GREAT single option.

ssand23
08-29-2012, 04:27 PM
What turned me off of the Bugaboo strollers is their low weight limit. My son is 2, is too big for any of the Bugaboo strollers and was too big for it before he even turned 2. I can't see spending that much on a stroller that will need replacing in 2 years or less.

edurnemk
08-29-2012, 04:36 PM
What turned me off of the Bugaboo strollers is their low weight limit. My son is 2, is too big for any of the Bugaboo strollers and was too big for it before he even turned 2. I can't see spending that much on a stroller that will need replacing in 2 years or less.

I guess it depends on your kids, my DS reached the Bee weight limit (35 lb) at 3.5 yo, when he hardly ever rode in a stroller anymore. Anyway stroller weight limits are kind of arbitrary, not set in stone. It's not like car seats, so you can put a 40 lb kid in a Bugaboo stroller, it won't fall apart (my 4.5 yo DS is average size and just tipped the scale at 38 lb).

legaleagle
08-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, in a sturdy stroller I'll push my kids as long as they fit. I have super tall kids (above average weight too, but nothing compared to height - my 27 month old is 39" and 32 lbs) so headroom is way more of an issue than weight.

hollissmama
08-29-2012, 08:05 PM
I thought the weight was an issue but I feel like the bugaboos are really well made and have heard it is fine to put a heavier kid in them. My 5yr old is 45lbs and rides occasionally. Also my pretty tall 2yr old rides in our frog and still fits under the sunshade at 40" tall. I think the push is unsurpassed even with a larger child.

JessK87
08-29-2012, 11:50 PM
You sound like me! Im due in oct. and have the same needs of a stroller. After researching for hours, writing post on this forum, and annoying my very loving husband we decided to start off with two strollers. The UppaBaby Vista and the bugaboo bee. I want a true jogging stroller when the baby hits a year and have decided on a BOB. I fell in love with the Vista when I first saw it way before I was pregnant. I keep coming back to it. If you fell in love with the cruz then I say get it! I picked a stroller before I picked a car seat and then saw what adapters worked. I looked at the chicco and graco but I fell in love with the cybex aton for an infant seat. It fits on maxi cosi car seat adapters and is lightweight, great crash test ratings, and is rated from 4-32lbs. Expensive and horrible sunshade but I plan on using the Uppababy car seat cabana for sunny days anyway. Good luck with all things baby! Im sure you will end up with a well reviewed, heavily researched, beautiful stroller that will fit your needs perfectly.

roseyloxs
08-30-2012, 06:38 AM
The weight limit on the bee doesn't matter. I use it all the time with a 40 lb kid and it pushes great. That said I would not buy the bee to use outdoors on multiple terrains. The wheels are really nice but don't do well on cracks and rocks.

I would focus on the new versa and spark.