PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Vera Bradley small backpack (the purse size one?)

ang79
08-29-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm not normally a backpack person, normally I prefer cross-body bags. But with the girls now using Funtainers, and my own stainless steel water bottle, my bag can get pretty heavy if we are out and I'm wearing it quite a bit! I currently have a Dakine Cosmo, but am not crazy about the lack of organization. And it makes me kinda nervous carrying my wallet in it, because there is no security pocket and I worry about being in a busy place and being pick pocketed. I like that the VB one has a hidden pocket on the back for important papers, passport, or wallet.

My girls are 3.5 and 6, so no dipes here, but I do normally carry for them their funtainers, snacks, small first aid kit, hand sanitizer and tissues, and for myself a water bottle (usually an 18 oz. Thermos), zip around wallet, tiny cosmetic bag with chapstick, etc., keys, phone, and camera. I'd use this mostly for outtings to zoos, festivals, parks, and thought it might also come in handy when DH and I take a trip to Jamaica next summer. Would all of this fit comfortably in the small VB backpack? Is it comfy to carry even with heavy water bottles?

hellokitty
08-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I do. For days where we are going to the nature center or children's museum/zoo type of trips where I need to chase the kids around hands free, this works out for me. I can fit two water bottles inside, my wallet, keys and a pull up and small baggie of wipes, my cell phone, antibac gel, and tissues are in the outside pockets for easy accessibility. This has worked out for me when my kids are about 2.5 yrs old, and I just don't need to lug around as much baby stuff.

karstmama
08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
i use one, and while i think you might be pretty much filling it with what you're planning, it would be fine. i really like mine & usually have a travel thing of baby wipes, a kindle, a zip bag with kleenex & lip balm & a pen knife & stuff, and other miscellany. it is a nice size and the straps are pretty comfy.

ang79
08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks mamas, I think I'd like to try one and compare it to the Dakine that I have. Now to find a good price on one......

hellokitty
08-30-2012, 03:10 PM
If I were you, I'd take a sample of the stuff you typically would put in a purse, go to a local VB store and ask them if it's ok to put stuff in one of the display purses and see how well it does. I am really picky about purses and bags and have to get my hands on them in order to buy them, so that is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Another idea, if you aren't picky about the looks is a smaller cross body, is a one strap backpack. I have one from eddie bauer, I bought it yrs ago. However, I have found it to be a perfect backpack for a day trip. It's not too big and not too small and the one we have is also gender neutral enough, that DH doesn't mind wearing it (and inevitably, every time he wears it, ppl ask him where he bought it, and he always says, "IDK, my wife buys these things."). I also find that it's more comfortable to have the crossbody single strap style backpack.

It looks like I have an older version of this one, I think the key is that this is smaller than a regular backpack, and that is why I like it so much, and and the newer one has a security pouch that is on the back of the bag, so you don't have to worry about pick pockets.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=40224&&categoryId=24451&categoryName=BACKPACKS--MESSENGERS&pCategoryId=5&pCategoryName=BAGS--GEAR&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=24451~~categoryName=BACKPACKS--MESSENGERS~~pCategoryId=5~~pCategoryName=BAGS--GEAR~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1

karstmama
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
i had one of those once. i would have really liked it, but it was 'wrong' for me. i guess it's one of those things you don't think are 'right or left handed' that really are. it felt backwards every time i tried to use it, and the way it was made it couldn't be used upside down, so it went to goodwill.

but yes, i *wanted* to like it, it was comfy apart from being backwards, so i agree you could try something like that.