PDA

View Full Version : winter walking shoes for DC/NYC

Reader
08-29-2012, 09:28 PM
So we are going to DC/NYC in December....I live in coastal CA, and I mostly wear flip flops and sandals. I do have Uggs & leather Mary Janes, but I'm thinking they aren't the best for walking miles in what could be rainy weather. Any suggestions? I'd love not to take a bunch of pairs of shoes for the whole trip because of space considerations, so looking for versatile comfortable suggestions.

TwinFoxes
08-29-2012, 09:33 PM
It really depends, the weather might be mild, but I'd leave the MJs at home. Bring the Uggs. Do you like Hunters? I think they'd be your best bet, the tall Wellies. Wear those with thick socks, and you can wear them back home with thin socks. :)

(I'm a native Californian BTW).

Kindra178
08-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Hunter Wellies or some waterproof leather riding boots would work. I have styles both from Keen (I think I have the KJ and Baby Bern styles) and La Canadienne.

http://www.6pm.com/keen-kj-boot-slate-black

http://www.6pm.com/keen-bern-baby-bern-boot-oak

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~la-canadienne-women-boots/

With any of these styles, you will be covered if NY gets a couple inches of snow as well.

So I guess the whole point of my entire post is to bring a great pair of boots which will look good with all sorts of outfits.

elektra
08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Fellow Californian who also went to NYC last year (first time going in Winter) and I brought:
Standard Ugg boots
Brown leather riding boots
Black heeled boots
black booties/pumps
Hunter boots
:bag:
DH thought I was overpacking but I wore them all! It poured the first day and I needed the Hunters. And then I probably could have lived without the comfy uggs and just worn my brown leather riding boots. Probably didn't need the black boots either as the black booties would have worked.
I have to say that I trekked my heeled ass ALL over town and my dogs were barking by the end, but I did not want to complain as it was of course my own fault.

At the very least I would have needed my brown riding boots for function- same with the Hunters- I am so glad I had those and they would have worked in snow too. And then if you have a fancy dinner/show just bring whatever other fancy shoes you might want to wear.

Reader
08-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Yay, I was hoping this would be a good excuse to buy boots. One of the reasons I'm excited about this trip is the opportunity to wear winter clothes again. There's so much more to coordinate, though...brown boots or black boots, what kind of coat, etc., particularly when this will be a long trip so the weather could change quite a bit. I'll be asking for clothes suggestions, too.

Kindra178
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Unless it's absurdly unseasonably warm, you will definitely need a winter jacket for NYC in December. It probably won't be 18 degrees, but it very well could high of 44.

lizzywednesday
08-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Unless it's absurdly unseasonably warm, you will definitely need a winter jacket for NYC in December. It probably won't be 18 degrees, but it very well could high of 44.

:yeahthat:

Except I'd also try to account for a "real feel" of 32 if it's windy - the buildings create wind tunnels like you wouldn't believe! (Lightweight layers can help with this.)

Comfy shoes for walking - I love the idea of boots, but I've done Danskos and my trusty New Balances before and been fine (just avoid walking in the puddles that form at street corner crossings) and good socks. If you've got a large purse, you could even bring an extra pair in a zip-top baggie just in case your socks get wet. (I'm serious; those puddles can be a doozy!)