PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on HBB

elbenn
08-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I need help on figuring out a car seat for my tall 5 year old. I currently have a Frontier 85 in our Oddy and it works great. We are using it in the harness position. I like it so much that I bought another one for our Lexus GS 430, but it is so tall that it sticks up over the seat and blocks a lot of the rear windshield. Are there any comparably good seats that won't stick up so far and block so much of the rear view?

o_mom
08-30-2012, 09:41 AM
If the Frontier is set to the proper height for your child, any HBB is going to stick up just as much. There may be one that is an inch or so lower, but one good growth spurt and you will be right back there. :)

Are you looking for a harnessed seat or just a booster?

elbenn
08-30-2012, 11:07 AM
If the Frontier is set to the proper height for your child, any HBB is going to stick up just as much. There may be one that is an inch or so lower, but one good growth spurt and you will be right back there. :)

Are you looking for a harnessed seat or just a booster?

Would a booster be as safe? I thought 5 year olds were best in HBBs until they were older. This is for a second car that's not used for the kids very often. The position of the seat is in the middle of the back row.

elbenn
08-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Another question is would it be better to have a HBB on the side of the backseat which wouldn't block the view so much, or would it be better to have a regular booster in the middle of the backseat?

arivecchi
08-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I would rather use a HBB outboard behind the driver's seat. Agree with PP that HBBs will be just as high as the Frontier. We have a Monterey for DS1 in our secondary car behind the passenger seat. We really like it and I feel better about this particular HBB because of the hefty frame and headrest. I ordered mine from Amazon since they have free returns and I wanted to make sure the booster fit DS properly. It has a fantastic rock solid install with LATCH too.

o_mom
08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Would a booster be as safe? I thought 5 year olds were best in HBBs until they were older. This is for a second car that's not used for the kids very often. The position of the seat is in the middle of the back row.

Yes, I think a highback booster would be a better choice than a backless booster. My question was if you were looking for a seat like the Frontier that is harnessed and then becomes a highback booster later, or a dedicated highback booster, such as the TurboBooster or Parkway?

o_mom
08-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Another question is would it be better to have a HBB on the side of the backseat which wouldn't block the view so much, or would it be better to have a regular booster in the middle of the backseat?

The safEST place is in the center, but if that does not work for you, then a properly used seat outboard is still going to be a very safe choice. Mine rarely ride in the center in DH's car because usually he has two of them and it is easier to sit them both outboard. I rationalize to myself that a non-distracted driver and side-curtain airbags make the outboard seating that much safer. :)

elbenn
08-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Yes, I think a highback booster would be a better choice than a backless booster. My question was if you were looking for a seat like the Frontier that is harnessed and then becomes a highback booster later, or a dedicated highback booster, such as the TurboBooster or Parkway?

I already have a second Frontier, but if a different seat works better, I can get a different one and return the Frontier. But if all HBBs are just as tall, then I might as well use the Frontier. Do you also think that a HBB behind driver's seat is safer than a booster in the middle?

o_mom
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
I already have a second Frontier, but if a different seat works better, I can get a different one and return the Frontier. But if all HBBs are just as tall, then I might as well use the Frontier. Do you also think that a HBB behind driver's seat is safer than a booster in the middle?

In general, yes, center is going to be safER, but if you have a hard time driving with the booster there it will probably offset that extra safety because you are more likely to have an accident, KWIM?

As far as other boosters - some may be better. I would take a trip to BRU or BBB and try a few in there to see if it makes a difference. It may not, though. Also, usually the center seat is higher in most cars, so putting them on the side will certainly help the not being able to see.

elbenn
08-30-2012, 12:39 PM
In general, yes, center is going to be safER, but if you have a hard time driving with the booster there it will probably offset that extra safety because you are more likely to have an accident, KWIM?

As far as other boosters - some may be better. I would take a trip to BRU or BBB and try a few in there to see if it makes a difference. It may not, though. Also, usually the center seat is higher in most cars, so putting them on the side will certainly help the not being able to see.

Thanks so much for all your help. So if the two choices are HBB behind driver's side (using harness mode for now) or regular booster (not HBB) in the middle, do you think HBB is the way to go?

o_mom
08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks so much for all your help. So if the two choices are HBB behind driver's side (using harness mode for now) or regular booster (not HBB) in the middle, do you think HBB is the way to go?

Hmm... that one's a toss up, IMO. The biggest risk being outboard is a side-impact on the near-side**. I think a harnessed seat would be an advantage in that situation, so I think moving outboard but remaining harnessed would be a great compromise in your situation. There is no definitive data on it, unfortunately, but we do know that a properly used seat in the back seat is really very safe. :)

**really, being far-side of a side impact is safest, and even safer than center, but since you never know which side will be hit and both are equally likely, center is the statistical best choice

elbenn
08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks o mom and arivecchi for your help.