PDA

View Full Version : Need alternative to bob. :)

sophie80
08-31-2012, 05:54 AM
I'm looking for something that pushes like a bob, but has an adjustable handlebar. So far I'm looking at the baby jogger elite, the mountain buggy urban, the city mini gt and.... I need more recs. ;) We do a ton of neighborhood walking, so something AT that pushes smoothly is key, but we don't run. My husband is too tall to be comfortable with the bob, although I love it.
I would love to have decent storage because we often walk my older
Ds to school, the library, soccer, etc. with 8 month old dd in the stroller.

WatchingThemGrow
08-31-2012, 06:01 AM
Yep, Elite works perfectly for what you describe. My DH didn't like the BOB we had for the handlebar reason. The Elite's adjustable handlebar worked well for us, even lowering it so DC can push if needed. You can flip up the foot rest flap and access toys, snacks, etc. in the basket. It is solid and great for "road" walking, and we've taken our double on the city bus a few times as well. The GT may be something to look at also.

Kaylee31
08-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Bumbleride Indie. I've tried MBs, a Bob Rev, the Elite and the Summit but the Indie is my favorite because of the handlebar, footrest, light weight and overall cuteness. :) But Bob has the best push of all of them, followed by MB, then Bumbleride. Baby Jogger's have very stiff suspension & the push is not as good as others IMO.

ETA: Someone is selling a seagrass indie on strollerswap for a great price. It's a late 2011 & post -recall IIRC.

waitingforgrace
08-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Valco tri mode. Adjustable handlebar, big canopy, big basket, smooth ride, nice upright seat with full recline

swissair81
08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Everyone is going to have their own personal favorite. I love my Mountain Buggies. I own 3 of them and have sold 2. I have also owned an Indie Twin and a BJ double Elite and I wasn't as big of a fan. (In the interest of being fair and truthful though, I will point out that: 1. My Indie was a 2008, and I hear they have improved a lot and 2. Doubles are harder to push than singles anyway. I've never pushed the single of either of those models.)

sophie80
08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks, ladies - this is super helpful. We will definitely take a close look at the Elite, the GT, the Mountain Buggies and the Indie. I don't think our local store carries the Valco. Keep the suggestions coming! :)

sophie80
08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Everyone is going to have their own personal favorite. I love my Mountain Buggies. I own 3 of them and have sold 2. I have also owned an Indie Twin and a BJ double Elite and I wasn't as big of a fan. (In the interest of being fair and truthful though, I will point out that: 1. My Indie was a 2008, and I hear they have improved a lot and 2. Doubles are harder to push than singles anyway. I've never pushed the single of either of those models.)

Which mountain buggy do you have? I saw that they fold by collapsing flat, and I'm not sure it would fit in the back of our smaller car.

swissair81
08-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Which mountain buggy do you have? I saw that they fold by collapsing flat, and I'm not sure it would fit in the back of our smaller car.

I have a Duo, +One, and Swift. The Swift will for sure fit in the back of a smaller car (but it has 10" tires, not 12"). The +One is about the size of the Urban Jungle and may or may not fit. I guess you would have to try it. The Duo for sure won't fit, but you don't need a double.

sophie80
08-31-2012, 11:30 AM
The swifts look so cute! I'll have to check it out in person to see if it will work for my 99th percentile tall kiddos. ;)

hihellonikki
08-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Love my GT but Bob was awesome, too. I *almost* bought Bob instead.

sophie80
08-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Love my GT but Bob was awesome, too. I *almost* bought Bob instead.

I adore bobs, and I had one with my older son. But, my husband refuses to get another bob since the handlebar won't adjust up for him. :( Since he's home with DD most of the time, I suppose that's fair!

Is your GT smooth on bumpy sidewalks?

hihellonikki
08-31-2012, 01:57 PM
I adore bobs, and I had one with my older son. But, my husband refuses to get another bob since the handlebar won't adjust up for him. :( Since he's home with DD most of the time, I suppose that's fair!

Is your GT smooth on bumpy sidewalks?

Yup. Went on a walk today over lots of uneven sidewalks covered with tree debris. It's not a true AT, but it handles humps and bumps just fine. Are you where you can test drive one? You may quite like it.

strollerqueen
08-31-2012, 01:58 PM
These are all excellent choices. You could also look at the Mamas and Papas Sport. Easy Walker and TFK are good, too, but I think you can only get those online in the US now.

sophie80
08-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Yup. Went on a walk today over lots of uneven sidewalks covered with tree debris. It's not a true AT, but it handles humps and bumps just fine. Are you where you can test drive one? You may quite like it.

I can test drive one, but only inside, so it's hard to get a feeling for how it really handles.

Jennifer626
08-31-2012, 06:15 PM
I was between the Bob and the Elite and bought the Elite and LOVE IT. Literally the only negative is that it's too big for the mall. I am very very happy with everything else about it! It has a fabulous push, love the adjustable handlebar, DD is still very comfortable in it (she's almost 3.5), we go on long walks outside every day on potholed roads, and it's fabulous.

sophie80
08-31-2012, 06:25 PM
I was between the Bob and the Elite and bought the Elite and LOVE IT. Literally the only negative is that it's too big for the mall. I am very very happy with everything else about it! It has a fabulous push, love the adjustable handlebar, DD is still very comfortable in it (she's almost 3.5), we go on long walks outside every day on potholed roads, and it's fabulous.

Awesome! Do you have an older version? I was debating between the 2012 (which is $400) and the 2011 (which is on sale for $299!). I'm not sure if the improvements are worth the extra $100.

Jennifer626
08-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Awesome! Do you have an older version? I was debating between the 2012 (which is $400) and the 2011 (which is on sale for $299!). I'm not sure if the improvements are worth the extra $100.

I have a 2010, which was much improved over the 2009 version. I :heartbeat: my 2010!

I personally prefer the "older" fabric on the pre-2012 Elite. It's softer, the new fabric is very much like thick canvas. It's not "bad" by any means, just a lot thicker and heavier looking.

I paid full price of $429 when the 2010's first came out because I had to have it, and I've never regretted that decision! My friend just sold her 2009 on craigslist for $250, it sold within 2 days.

Good luck with your decision!

sophie80
08-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Yeah, DH is all about the single colored canvas, but it looks like it's not quite as comfy to me. Sigh. :) I do like the new curved bar at the back though!

crl
08-31-2012, 10:39 PM
I have had a Bob SU, two Mountian Buggy Swifts (sold my 2009 to get the slightly improved canopy on the 2010) and a Bumbleride Indie. The indie was my favorite. I loved the HUGE canopy, the adjustable foot rest, thr big and easily accessible basket, the easy to reach valve on the tires to inflate, etc, etc. Bob does have a better push. And both the Bob and the MB were sturdier than the Indie. But in every other way I preferred the Indie. And since I'm not exactly trail running with the Indie (not a jogging stroller anyway), I wasn't concerned about the sturdiness at all.

Also I sold my indie for asking price on CL in two days without even bothering to post a picture. It took great pictures, a really well written ad and several weeks to sell my Swifts for below asking.

Catherine

staceyeileen
08-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Another vote for the elite. I love my 2012. :)

roseyloxs
09-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Another vote for the indie!

The elite is a very nice stroller and I don't think you would be making a mistake by going with it but I love the indie. It has a nicer leg rest, nicer fabrics, a more accessible basket, its lighter (about 6 lbs lighter then the elite), and has a smaller footprint (the elite is about 2 inches wider, and almost 9 inches longer). The elite has nicer peekaboo windows, an easier fold, beefier tires, and a wider and taller seat. HTH.

mackmama
09-01-2012, 10:14 PM
MB Terrain if you dont have to lift it in/out of the car a lot. It is a great stroller but on the heavier side.

WatchingThemGrow
09-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Another vote for the indie!

The elite is a very nice stroller and I don't think you would be making a mistake by going with it but I love the indie. It has a nicer leg rest, nicer fabrics, a more accessible basket, its lighter (about 6 lbs lighter then the elite), and has a smaller footprint (the elite is about 2 inches wider, and almost 9 inches longer). The elite has nicer peekaboo windows, an easier fold, beefier tires, and a wider and taller seat. HTH.
How do the Elite and Indie compare height-headroom wise? Our taller DC fit well in the Elite when, like the OP, we were walking to school to pick up DD and it was a hike that even the 4 year old couldn't do. I've never put my DC in an Indie, so I'm just wondering...

roseyloxs
09-02-2012, 05:36 AM
How do the Elite and Indie compare height-headroom wise? Our taller DC fit well in the Elite when, like the OP, we were walking to school to pick up DD and it was a hike that even the 4 year old couldn't do. I've never put my DC in an Indie, so I'm just wondering...

I believe the indie has a 23" canopy clearance and the elite has a 26" clearance. The indie seat sits very upright, if you need a little extra room you could recline the seat a little to give more clearance or just go without the canopy if necessary.

WatchingThemGrow
09-02-2012, 07:20 AM
I believe the indie has a 23" canopy clearance and the elite has a 26" clearance. The indie seat sits very upright, if you need a little extra room you could recline the seat a little to give more clearance or just go without the canopy if necessary.
ok, thanks for the comparison. The Indie came out (and maybe all of Bumbleride???) after we purchased our Elite. I knew we had long-torso/tall babies, so I was looking for something tall. Definitely got it! Our 6 yo DD rode comfortably in the BJCED at Disney this past month. Our neighbor had an Indie but I never used it or checked it out.

AnnieW625
09-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I would probably go with the Indie as well because they are really popular in my area and would probably have a better resale value than a Mountain Buggy. If I were on the East Coast or a big mid west city like Chicago then I might do a Swift, but overall I like the looks of the Indie and I think next to the Bob it is one of the best AT strollers out there.

bisous
09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm a huge mountain buggy fan. I LOVE that stroller! Maybe it doesn't resell as well as the other brands but it sure is a great piece of baby gear. :)

Let us know what you end up getting...

sophie80
09-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks, ladies- we ended up going with the Elite. I liked the GT second best (in a perfect world, I would want this for my car stroller!), and then the Indie (it didn't feel quite as solid to me). I think we may end up with a mini down the road for taking in and out of the car, but for our outdoor use, the Elite has been great so far! I really appreciate all the advice.

roseyloxs
09-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Thanks, ladies- we ended up going with the Elite. I liked the GT second best (in a perfect world, I would want this for my car stroller!), and then the Indie (it didn't feel quite as solid to me). I think we may end up with a mini down the road for taking in and out of the car, but for our outdoor use, the Elite has been great so far! I really appreciate all the advice.

Nice choice. Enjoy!

Jennifer626
09-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Great choice! Did you get the 2012 or the 2011? And what color??

sophie80
09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
We got the 2012, because we got a good deal on it in the store so the difference was tiny. DH wanted sand, but I talked him into the red. It's so pretty. :)