PDA

View Full Version : restaurant play set

Globetrotter
08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
I am going to get this for a set of 8 y.o. twins who love to play restaurant (they just got a play kitchen and need stuff for it).

http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-Sweetheart-Café-Restaurant/dp/B001UH5VHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346430696&sr=8-3&keywords=restaurant+kids+play

BEfore I buy it, has anyone seen a better one? I would like to get something to go with it. Any ideas?

mommytoC
09-01-2012, 07:50 AM
We already had a kitchen when DD's started playing "restaurant", so we just added order pads (from an office supply store) to the rest of our play kitchen stuff (dishes from Target, play food (mostly Melissa and Doug).

They haven't wanted a menu yet, but when they do, we'll make one on the computer :).

mnosky1
09-01-2012, 12:57 PM
While I agree a DIY set would be fine and way cheaper and a little notebook and our ample supply of play food has been working for my 4 year old waitress.. I have a hard time giving relatives gift ideas for Christmas and thought this might be something that would work. I also looked at the Melissa and Doug waitress role Play (also on amazon - sorry having trouble with linking on my phone) since the food didn't get great reviews on the first one and we have food anyway.

kristac
09-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Don't know if you are crafty but this apron is cute!!
http://onecreativemommy.com/lus-diner-apron-and-menu/

Globetrotter
09-05-2012, 11:48 AM
They already have aprons or that would have been perfect! (but not made by me :p) The more I look at it, I think the restaurant set is too simplistic for eight year olds. hmmm… I think I'll just get them some dishes and a tea set. I always have the hardest time buying for these two, and they don't have a lot of space so that is always a factor.

Globetrotter
09-06-2012, 03:42 AM
aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I was going to order an adorable Alex kitchen set with a cute polka dotted tea set, but today I went by their house and discovered they already have the darn tea set! I give up.

I think the restaurant set will work out. My kids seem to think they will love it!

Seitvonzu
09-06-2012, 10:57 AM
i'd be so tempted to create something myself.... i can think of some kitchen store things off the top of my head that would be cool for restaurant play"-- one of those stainless cream/syrup pouring pitchers? a napkin holder (with napkins), silverware prewrapped in a napkin, (and extra napkins to do it again and again), small glassware (they are older so something "real" , maybe small sundae glasses or little coke glasses...our local kitchen store has both in smallish sizes) plus a few extras for "decor" -- ordering tablets (there must be templates for this on the internet or simply a little spiral notebook), a red/white checked piece of fabric for a tablecloth...a little vase and some cute fake flowers? oh, and plates. IKEA has some really nice chinaware plates that are on the larger side but still work on a play table.

find a cool basket to put everything in, wrap contents of "kit" in the checked "tablecloth" and pop into basket. label as "heard you were going in business! hope to patronize your restaurant soon!" or some such thing.

if your kids really like the set, i'd just order though. everytime i think i can put something cuter together, it always ends up pricier than i think it will :) enjoy!

Globetrotter
09-11-2012, 01:21 AM
I just got the restaurant set and something else (individual gifts also, which I always try to do -M and D fashion sticker sets - they love to dress up!). I didn't have the energy to put something together.