PDA

View Full Version : Help me find ONE amazing skillet for our family

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2012, 03:54 PM
We're in a rental for up to 8 mos. We have a set of all-clad scattered about in our storage unit, and I've got a great griddle, etc. I'm not digging through boxes anymore, so I want to just buy one new one. I'm thinking that one good skillet would work well for our needs. Kids were not excited about our eggs and pancakes cooked in the not non-stick skillet b/c they looked different and had some burned stuff on them.

Should I be looking at cast iron? 10" or 12"? We eat at home a lot, and I'm planning a bunch of crockpot meals for M-Th when we're out of the house 4-5pm.

infomama
09-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Cast Iron-12 inch Lodge

Non stick- 12 inch Tramontina. I bought this skillet for camping after many years of shunning nonstick and it's awesome. Not $$ (I got mine at BB&B for less than 25 I think) and it's made in the USA.

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2012, 08:31 PM
You think the 12 is large enough for a family of 5 or just the right size for any crowd?

urquie
09-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Non stick- 12 inch Tramontina. I bought this skillet for camping after many years of shunning nonstick and it's awesome. Not $$ (I got mine at BB&B for less than 25 I think) and it's made in the USA.

We bought a two pan set of these from Costco. They are my favorite and inexpensive.

infomama
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
You think the 12 is large enough for a family of 5 or just the right size for any crowd?
I would say anyone unless it's a *really* big group. It's a nice big skillet IMO.

sophiesmom03
09-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I love my le creuset and it can be used on glass top stoves unlike regular cast iron - I do use my one Untreated cast iron because my stove is old but I'm not supposed to.

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2012, 09:38 PM
ohyeah, the stovetop here is smooth. That matters?

sophiesmom03
09-01-2012, 09:42 PM

It does if you care about damaging it. :) I own the house and the stove is old so I do not.

infomama

I have a glass top electric stove. No problems with my Lodge or non stick pans. I don't move (shake) them once I put them down though. My MIL would never use cast iron on her glass top stove...never.

rin
I also adore my le creuset, although they are pricey. I got mine as a gift, but after having it I would totally buy myself one, they're that awesome.

There's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Caribbean/dp/B000PSZQIS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_12

Or you could also get one with a lid, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Signature-Enameled-Cast-Iron/dp/B0076NORDA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_39 and then also use it for casseroles, etc. This is the one I have; I use it for all kinds of skillet-y things, though. Never done pancakes in it, but have done scrambled eggs and they turn out beautifully.

WatchingThemGrow
09-03-2012, 07:50 AM
I also adore my le creuset, although they are pricey. I got mine as a gift, but after having it I would totally buy myself one, they're that awesome.

There's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Caribbean/dp/B000PSZQIS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_12

Or you could also get one with a lid, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Signature-Enameled-Cast-Iron/dp/B0076NORDA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_39 and then also use it for casseroles, etc. This is the one I have; I use it for all kinds of skillet-y things, though. Never done pancakes in it, but have done scrambled eggs and they turn out beautifully.
I made a special trip to the outlet to see these in person (and for the best price) and loved this pan. I wanted the purple one - in a larger size, but they don't make it. It was definitely pricey, even with the discount available. They wouldn't stack in-store discounts with the outlet coupon book, though. It was upwards of $150 for the 3.5qt.

What I did end up getting, however, was from the Corningware/Corelle store where I've built my Corelle stash recently. I got a 13 3/4" Lodge cast iron skillet. (I got the $40 skillet, $5 handle cover, and a $9 microwave splatter cover for $27 after discounts!) When I got home, we had a family visiting for the night, so I grabbed some steaks to cook in it! Being afraid to burn things, I cooked on low/medium and it took forever. Everything turned out to be delicious.

This morning I'm planning on bacon, pancakes, and eggs in it. After reading about the GE warranty stating to only use enameled cast iron, DH and I are considering returning it or just replacing it with an enameled one so we don't run the risk of damaging the stovetop at this rental. Hmmm....

I remembered I do have a $100 gift card to a specialty cooking store, so I may go check Le Creuset out there.

WWYD? (Instead of returning, we could also take this large pan to the beach house, as a larger great pan is needed. The cooktop there is a coil thing.)