PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Ikea Hemnes daybed for toddler's first bed?

fedoragirl
09-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I really like this day bed and want to get it for DD when she transitions to a big girl bed. The only thing holding me back is the risk of entrapment and suffocation on the one side where the "headboard" is.
Any thoughts or experiences?

larig
09-01-2012, 08:31 PM
When DS was almost 3 it is the bed we used after his Sniglar crib. He is still using it.

truly scrumptious
09-01-2012, 10:22 PM
We've been using it for DS since he was about 2y9mo. He loves it. (currently it is opened into a double bed too which he loves.)

daniele_ut
09-02-2012, 12:54 AM
We don't have the daybed, but the regular Hemnes twin was the bed we moved DS1 into when he was 3. He is still sleeping in it at almost 8.

misshollygolightly
09-04-2012, 10:47 PM
We have the Hemnes daybed as a guest bed in DD's nursery (which used to be a guest room and is still used for guests when needed). Neither of my kids have slept on it so I can't really speak to that, but it's a great piece of furniture! It's surprisingly comfy as a bed, IMO (we just have the cheapest Ikea mattress on it), and I LOVE the roomy storage drawers underneath. It's a bit of a pain to pull out the lower part/convert it to a bed for two if you have carpet (I imagine it would pull out more easily on a smooth wood floor). It's been great for us, though!

Also, I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think suffocation/entrapment is much of a concern once you're past the baby stage.