PDA

View Full Version : Best convertible carseat for tall child

newmomga
09-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi. I am due in a few weeks and have decided on a Chicco Keyfit 30 for when my DS is a newborn. I am looking ahead and would like to go ahead and register for a convertible carseat just in case some people are feeling generous and go in together on purchasing a carseat. I'm a planner anyway, so registry aside I still want to do my research now and figure out my plan.

My DD is 98 percentile for height, my DH and I are both tall so we are expecting DS to be tall too.

I would like a seat that will keep him RF for awhile and will last awhile FF too. I have looked at the True Fit, Britax Boulevards, and the new Peg Perego convertible. I have a Sunshine Kids Radian XT leftover from DD that I will use in the grandparents car once he has outgrown the infant seat, but I am a little leary of purchasing from Diono after the latch issue was handled so poorly. I am mostly looking at the Boulevard vs. the Peg Perego. I have heard of lots of install issues with the peg perego with the seatbelt.

I really love, love, love Britax, but my DD did outgrow it somewhere around age 3 (this was the original boulevard from early 2007 I believe) and that is when we put her in the Radian in one car and a Britax Regent in the other car. At least now there are more harness to booster options for when DS outgrows his convertible.

Any input, opinions, etc are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

AnnieW625
09-02-2012, 12:13 PM
My DD2 is 2 yrs. 4 mos. old and about 35-36" and she still has rear facing room in her Britax Boulevard 70. She could probably make it to 3/1/2 or 4 rear facing in the seat, but we are going to move her here soon because she is starting to fight us to get into the seat. The newer Britax seats, including the Roundabout 55 have higher weight and height limits than the old classic seats. I also think they puzzle better than the old ones.

When I bought our BLVD last year I checked out the True Fit, and the Evenflo Triumph 65, but chose the Britax for ease of use and because my daughter was the most comfortable in it. She also has a Britax Roundabout 55 and she is fine in that seat as well (and it is good to travel with as well, it weighs less than the Marathon, and BLVD). If it had been out when we were looking at seats I would have considered the Peg Perego seat as well.

newmomga
09-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your input. I am going to wait and see.

I will probably go with a Boulevard or the Chicco Nextfit I just heard about coming out in 2013. It is sounds really sweet and it's top harness height is supposed to be 17.5".