PDA

View Full Version : DS had a great 1st day in school!

mikeys_mom
09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I've posted before about DS's issues in school. Last year was really rough for him, particularly socially. We had not really discussed the first day of school with him over the past week as we wanted to keep his anxieties to a minimum. Last night he went to sleep no problem. This morning he woke up dreading the day and said it was going to be the worst day of his life :(.

Fast forward to pickup time - he came out happy and smiling and said he wished he could stay in school longer and that he had a great day. :yay:
He was so positive about his teachers, new mix of kids in the class and is really super excited about starting grade 3 now. I'm just hoping that this keeps up and things continue on an upward trend.

I've been in touch with the special ed co-ordinator throughout the summer and we are still working on his learning plan but so far so good. They are being super accomodating. Also the guidance counsellor called me this morning to ask if I wanted her to connect with him again this year. He spent a lot of time in her office last year and is very comfortable with her, so I said that most certainly I'd love for her to continue working with him. He told me that he did go talk with her today briefly and that he was happy she is there for him.

One of his good friends is in his class so hopefully that will be positive for him. They had them sitting in a group together. His friend's mother and I both chuckled wondering how long that grouping would last because the 2 of them are know to be very chatty and get off-track from their work very easily. I told the guidance counsellor that if she can somehow get the two of them to actually work while they are sitting together, I will be most impressed and thrilled!

jenfromnj
09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Sounds like his year is off to a great start! I hope things continue to go well for him.