PDA

View Full Version : 4 Months pregnant and not gaining weight

ehlana06
09-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I am 4 months pregnant and have not gained any weight. Actually, I have lost 3 pounds. Should I be concerned? My OB is infamous for not giving info but he is the only OB that takes my insurance that delivers at the baby friendly hospital around here. With my first 2 children I began slowly gaining weight within the first 2 months. I am a bit heavier but not obsese. Would that make any difference? Thanks for your input! :)

pinay
09-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I think I gained maybe 5 lbs during the first half of this recent pregnancy- I ended up gaining a total of 30 lbs by the end. I started out overweight so I don't think my body needed to add much to support the growing baby in the beginning. I don't think it's anything you need to be too concerned about, esp if you've been dealing with nausea and chasing after 2 kids.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-05-2012, 09:27 AM
i think it's fine. with my first pregnancy (DS), i did not even start gaining weight until i was about 18 weeks along (i had horrible morning sickness that lasted until week 18). though once that was done i was able to gain weight and i ended up gaining 30 lbs total, which is average.

AngB
09-05-2012, 09:28 AM
It's fine. I lose weight and hold steady till about 20 wks. Then it goes downhill fast.

smiles33
09-05-2012, 10:02 AM
As long as you're not limiting your food intake below normal, you should be fine. I had gestational diabetes with DD2 and gained 10 pounds total, compared to 35 with DD1 (gaining 10 in the first trimester alone!). I had a more restricted diet with DD2 but I was still surprised how little I gained. FWIW, I was about 15 pounds above my wedding weight (24 BMI) so not technically overweight but on the higher side of "average."

edurnemk
09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
With both pregnancies I lost weight during the first trimester, my OB said it was not a problem and that it's normal to loose up to 4 lb. Then I didn't start gaining weight until my 6th month, both times. My OB was not worried since baby was always growing as expected and I was eating healthy and balanced meals.

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I gained very little till month 6. Then, weight gain was not an issue!

Myira
09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I think I hardly gained any weight by 4 months, I just got back to my pre-pregnancy weight since I lost in the 1st trimester.

Also, my overall weight gain in DSs pregnancy was really on the lower side like 12-15 lbs or so. I gained only 1 glorious lb in the last trimester, bothered me a lot at the time. But DS was a healthy 7 lb 10oz baby.

So I agree with PP, as long as you are eating a healthy diet, does not seem to be any cause for concern.

AnnieW625
09-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't be concerned. The most I gained was 10lbs between weeks 10 and 15 with both of my healthy pregnancies. I think I gained the same amount with the baby we lost. My dr. with DD2 got a little concerned so I started watching my weight a bit because I knew I was already overweight (due to not losing the 20lbs I gained with baby 2; I got pregnant 4 mos. after the loss and had only lost about 8lbs).

klwa
09-05-2012, 01:29 PM
With DS, I gained quickly, and then stopped for the last trimester.

With DD, I didn't gain an ounce until after the first trimester, then put on the pounds up until the end.

With both, I gained the exact same amount of weight.

With this one, I've gained steadily the entire time (no bounces) until the last month, where I haven't gained. Right at the same amount of weight I gained with the other two.

So, I figure, it doesn't matter when you gain, so long as you feel like you're eating healthy & when hungry.

roseyloxs
09-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I steadily gained 20-25 lbs with my first two pregnancies. Except for the times I am actually pregnant I have been within 5 lbs of the same weight for the last 10 years. It only takes me 2 weeks to get back to my 'normal' weight after giving birth. I am overweight.

I am now about 27 weeks pregnant. I lost about 5 lbs in the first trimester. I have since gained 3 lbs so I am still technically 2 lbs down since getting pregnant. My belly is HUGE right now! I don't feel like I am skinnier anywhere else but I am not one to really pay attention to that. My doctors haven't said anything about my weight. They don't seem concerned at all. I am not concerned because I am just not all that hungry. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am full then I stop.

I did read an article at the beginning of my pregnancy about how they are rethinking the weight gain recommendations for overweight and obese women. They actually suggested that it might be perfectly safe for these women to gain no weight at all during their pregnancies. They need more extensive studies but so far birth weights were unaffected by a women's weight gain.

mikala
09-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I was down around 4 lbs at 21 weeks with my last pregnancy because of morning, um, all day sickness. My doctor wasn't especially concerned because the 20 week ultrasound looked great and babies tend to steal what they need as long as mom is keeping some food down.

Fwiw I started pregnancy at a healthy weight, gained 20 lbs and 8 of that was baby. I think we all gain a little differently and there are even differences between pregnancies for the same mom.

SkyrMommy
09-05-2012, 03:07 PM
With DD I gained steadily as the pregnancy went along, but with DS I lost almost 10lbs. during the first four months and then gained just of 20 in the last two trimesters.

My OBs weren't worried either time as both kids were measuring just fine at all ultrasounds and I was eating healthy, just battling awful 'all-day' sickness with DS.

KLD313
09-05-2012, 05:12 PM
With my second pregnancy i lost a few lbs in the first few months and by 22 weeks i was up 9lbs. My midwives weren't worried but I also wasn't suoeryper skinny to begin with.

ehlana06
09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Thank You all so much. I feel much better now. I called my OB and talked with his nurse. She said the same thing as what all of you were saying. I did suffer from PPD with both of my DS's. I wonder if going off of my anti-depressant has something to do with my slow weight gain this time around. I know it does have a nasty reputation for causing weight gain and making weight hard to lose.

Jacksmommy2b
09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
I gained a bunch of weight with both of my sons.

This time I was a little fluffier to begin with (but nowhere near obese maybe a 12 PP?) and I didn't gain anything until the second half of my pregnancy. I'm also carrying much differently, I wore my pre baby pants until darn near my third trimester!

At just shy of 39 weeks I have gained a total of 18 lbs and baby is measuring right on target. I am sooooo looking forward to not having a crazy ton of weight to lose this time! (I gained 50lbs with DS1) I also feel this pregnancy is so much easier than the other two; no sciatic pain, no horrible pubic bone pain, no crazy braxton hicks!

Anecdotally - this is supposed to be a girl :) I have to wonder how much of a difference it makes!

marymoo86
09-05-2012, 08:53 PM
As long as you are eating well and taking your vitamins it is fine. I only gained 17 lbs and then lost 2 in the last month and am tall and in good shape. Doctor was never concerned.