PDA

View Full Version : Moving From a Convertible Car Seat to a Highback Booster

lisa928
09-05-2012, 10:35 AM
I have twin girls in The First Years True Fit C630 Convertible Car Seat who will be four years old in November. I am not in a rush to move them to a booster seat but like to plan ahead. In other words I want to time to plan what I want as we have SIX of our current convertible car seats (2 for each of my car, DH’s car, and Grandparent’s car) and need to know what I want and get it for a good price. Anyway my twins are different sizes (1-2 inch difference and about 5lb difference) but are both tall for their age (I am 5’8” and DH is 6’6”) with the taller one about 42”. I know the rule that they should be 1” below the top but of the convertible car seat to me it looks like the taller one is there already. I keep reading about kids who are five or six and still in convertible seats and wonder am I measuring incorrect, although I have actually used a ruler. Could it really be time to make the switch already?

Some of you may suggest moving one into the booster and the leaving in the convertible car seat and while I have thought of that there is no way I could make that work as every time they got into a car seat it would be a battle as it is not the same. I should note that smaller girl would easily meet the minimum of the booster.

For the booster seats I am looking into the Graco Highback TurboBooster Car Seat if anyone has positive or negative thoughts. Keep in mind I need SIX again.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions.

edurnemk
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I know the rule that they should be 1” below the top but of the convertible car seat to me it looks like the taller one is there already. I keep reading about kids who are five or six and still in convertible seats and wonder am I measuring incorrect, although I have actually used a ruler. Could it really be time to make the switch already.

Actually the 1" rule is for rear facing. For forward facing their ears should be below the top of the shell.

No advice about the HBB, since my DS is still in a convertible (britax). We do have an Evenflo Maestro for travel, it's a harnessed seat that convertos to a decent HBB. It's like $70 and we do like it, could be a nice option for secondary cars.

hillview
09-05-2012, 10:54 AM
It might be worth considering what fits better or is easier to buckle in each car. We are struggling with a HBB for our Subaru for example but in the minivan just about anything works.

lisa928
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
For forward facing their ears should be below the top of the shell.

That makes a lot more sense, thanks, and glad I checked. Thanks again!

legaleagle
09-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Also make sure the harness is at or above the shoulders! If they have an inch or more, you should make it plenty far enough for boosters in the true fits. And I'd definitely try them in each cars. Some boosters are simply incompatible with some cars because of headrest issues. Personally, I plan to get a latchable booster so that I don't have to remember to buckle it empty.

Joolsplus2
09-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Yeah, since the shell of those seats is so enormously tall, go with the shoulders at the top harness position. When the shoulders are even with the top slot, THAT's when the seat is outgrown. It's a fairly tall seat, should last till maybe 5-6, a good age for buying boosters. Graco Turbo Boosters tend to fit pretty much ever car and every kid up to age 8 with the highback, longer backless, and the Evenflo Big Kid is a good option for less-used cars (not good sleep support). Definitely keep an eye out on the best boosters for the cars they ride in the most, they have deeper seats, taller backs, and can be LATCHed (but the options are super limited right now, we are expecting a good batch of new seats in the near future :))