PDA

View Full Version : PSA if you are due close to election day

specialp
09-05-2012, 11:59 AM
You may want to try and apply for an absentee ballot now. I'm due the week before, but went ahead and applied.

Canna
09-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Good tip. I am due Oct. 26th. I was thinking I could likely just make it out to vote, but I'll think again about voting absentee.

LMPC
09-05-2012, 04:21 PM
DD was born 4 years ago in October, and I did an absentee ballot. There was no way I was not voting!

AngB
09-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Good tip. I am due Oct. 26th. I was thinking I could likely just make it out to vote, but I'll think again about voting absentee.

I have a scheduled c-section Oct. 26th, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to vote since we know that is the latest I will go (it will be around 11 days later I think), plus with the county and state that we are in, my vote isn't going to make a huge difference either way so if we are struggling, I won't feel too bad about skipping it. (At least when DH was military, absentee votes were only counted if it was close or something like that, maybe just in my state. In any case, I prefer voting in person if I can!)

jimmight
09-07-2012, 07:56 AM
(At least when DH was military, absentee votes were only counted if it was close or something like that, maybe just in my state. In any case, I prefer voting in person if I can!)

specialp
09-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Yes, I prefer to vote in person as well, but circumstances may not allow for that and I would simply rather vote than not. My understanding (at least when I worked the polls in college) is that if you are able, you can take your ballot down on election day and submit it yourself. I could be wrong as college was a long time ago.

american_mama
09-07-2012, 10:15 AM
I think absentee voting rules and interpretation vary a lot by state and locality, so don't think you can't vote early or that it will only be counted in a close race. call your local voting office and find out specific for your area.

Twice in recent races, our local registrar was on TV and with signs outside the voting office to encourage advance voting (absentee voting). They wanted to minimize lines on Election Day and encourage voting, so any reason was enough to do it. You could just say "work responsibilities" or "child care responsibilities" or "I want to avoid a possible line" and it was all fine and encouraged.