PDA

View Full Version : Which do you like best for your kids' bedding?

gatorsmom
09-05-2012, 01:40 PM
A top sheet with blanket/comforter or a duvet with inner comforter? I"m really wondering based on the preferences of parents who have tried these with their kids. My boys have a top sheet with comforter but it's not working for us. The top sheet is usually hanging off the side of the bed. They don't even bother to pull it up when they make their bed in the morning. They just pull up their comforter and call it aday. I'm wondering if going to a buttoned duvet with inner comforter would keep their room neater and keep them warmer. DH and I have a duvet with inner comforter and I love it but sometimes the inner blanket gets rearranged inside the duvet.

Thoughts?

WatchingThemGrow
09-05-2012, 02:05 PM
I love just a comforter - no duvet, no sheet. That's what I was going to try with them. I'm thinking a TCS down (or down alternative) colored comforter. They're machine washable, and they come in different weights.

http://www.thecompanystore.com/LaCrosse%C2%AE-Jr.-TCS%C2%AE-Down-Free%E2%84%A2-Comforters/cr77-ps-ak12,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=ck-boys-bedding-quilts-comforters
crud, though...the navy ones I wanted to buy at the outlet the other day would have been $52 each. I had to run and didn't get them. Now I'll need to wait for the next big sale.

essnce629
09-05-2012, 02:09 PM
My kids have top and bottom sheets (the Beech jersey ones from BB&B are soooo soft) and a duvet cover with comforter inside. It's just too warm here at night, even with the A/C on, to have just a comforter. They usually just cover up with the top sheet and then I'll go in and cover them with the comforter before I go to bed. They're in bunk beds.

arivecchi
09-05-2012, 02:25 PM
DS1 has a comforter with a duvet cover and can easily make his bed. He does not straighten out the sheet underneath it but I don't really mind as I cannot see it. :)

crl
09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Ds has a comforter with dustmite encasement and then a comforter cover and a fitted sheet on bottom. No top sheet and no blanket. Makes it easy to make the bed and less for me to wash every week. Our bed is setup this way too. Main downside for me is that I really love the look of quilts and we don't use them.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2012, 03:20 PM
We don't even bother with a top sheet. We have comforter (not a duvet type, just an all in 1) and it is washable. I hate top sheets, personally- they get all tangly. And I hate duvets and covers because things get off track and they are just too much hassle. The less fussy, the less to care, the less to spend $ on- all good things for us.

fedoragirl
09-05-2012, 06:36 PM
We all use duvet covers on our comforters. Just shake in the morning and fold down. It really depends on the comforter. Ours doesn't ever tangle but I once got a bad comforter where the quilted boxes were unevenly spread with down and it always got tangled.

Momit
09-05-2012, 07:35 PM
We use a duvet cover and insert with DS. In the summer, I just use the cover (without the insert and without a top sheet). For us, we have a lightweight bedspread for summer and a heavier comforter for winter.

I love duvets except they can be a PITA to put back in the cover after washing (I actually posted a thread about how hard it was and got several suggestions from wise BBBers to make it much easier). But making the bed every day is just a quick shake.

DietCokeLover
09-05-2012, 08:17 PM
We use a sheet set and a duvet cover with a lightweight down comforter inside.

cuca_
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM

This is what we use too.

hillview
09-05-2012, 08:25 PM

:yeahthat:

gatorsmom
09-05-2012, 08:50 PM

This is what we use too.

:yeahthat:

Dietcokelover, do you, cuca, and hill view use a top sheet between the duvet and fitted sheet?

hillview
09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Dietcokelover, do you, cuca, and hill view use a top sheet between the duvet and fitted sheet?

often but not always (90% of the time yes). To be fair the duvet gets thrown over the bed --best case-- in the am -- but usually it is just an unmade bed. The boys sometimes don't even crawl under the duvet, and sleep on top of it. Ditto with the top sheet -- sometimes they just sleep under the duvet and on TOP of the top sheet. I have ikea comforters and duvet covers and have not issues with bunching/twisting etc.

happymom
09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
All our beds have a fitted sheet and a blanket inside a duvet cover. That's it. No top sheets- they never lay right! And like PP said, good quality blankets usually stay arranged nicely inside the duvet cover.

I have actually been looking for a nice duvet cover for DD, and have been unable to find anything youthful and pretty.

123LuckyMom
09-05-2012, 09:33 PM
We've always used a duvet with cover and no top sheet, but I love the idea of a washable comforter instead, especially in warmer weather. Thanks for that tip! I, personally, hate top sheets. When I can't find duvet covers I like, I make them out of two top sheets sewn together with Velcro closure on the bottom. I'm no seamstress, but this is super easy. It's just three straight seams and some Velcro.

teresah00
09-09-2012, 12:43 AM
I prefer comforter but
No top sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

queenmama
09-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Top sheet with a medium-weight quilt, fleece blanket on top in the winter.

Yes, top sheets are a disaster, but it's way easier to deal with fixing the sheets than it is to launder a duvet or comforter regularly (if used without a top sheet).