PDA

View Full Version : Which potty?

LD92599
09-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Which potty is highly recommended these days? I have the one that is an insert for the regular toilet but I want a potty too so that DS can sit on his own.

jammytoast
09-06-2012, 12:12 PM
we loved the ikea one--cheap, easy to clean; also had the boon step/seat one that looks nice but was a pain to clean and bulky.

lizzywednesday
09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
If the IKEA one isn't an option, we have two of the high-back Baby Bjorn ones at our house and my mom bought one for her house:

http://www.amazon.com/Bjorn%C2%AE-Potty-Chair-Comfort-Rubber/dp/B000MEU3M4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346952277&sr=8-3&keywords=baby+bjorn+potty+chair

It's kind of pricey for such a basic chair, but it's easy to clean and DD likes to sit on it.

Not sure how well the deflector is positioned for a seated boy, though.

Also, we have quite a few stepstools so DD can climb up to the big potty by herself. (She doesn't always want to go on the potty chair.)

acmom
09-06-2012, 01:35 PM
We have the Bjorn one- agree with PP, a little pricey but easy to clean and has been used easily by both DD and DS. I liked that it was simple and plain since it was out all the time for potty training.

marymoo86
09-06-2012, 02:33 PM
We have the bemis seat that is integrated into the lid and love it. DD loves having a step. For portable solutions, we are getting the potette plus. Seems to have great ratings and it can be a foldable seat or use with the potty part and liners.

momm
09-06-2012, 02:36 PM
I second the IKEA potty - $5 and so sturdy and perfect! Buy one for each bathroom!

Tinochka
09-06-2012, 02:42 PM
BabyBjorn... Love then, they are pricy, but you can find them on CL. I received them from SIL.

jam224
09-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Another vote for the Bjorn potty. Simple, sturdy, and easy to clean. This one is $26.49 with free shipping from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/BabyBjörn-055121US-BABYBJORN-Potty-Chair/dp/B0009OLSZ8/. I've also seen them at Target, if you need to buy one off the shelf.

On the flipside, my MIL has this potty for the grandkids and I hate, hate, hate it: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Step-By-Step-Potty-Trainer/dp/B004GJXLYS/. DD wants to play with the lid, even though she's sitting on it, and there's no back support, so I have to brace her, so she won't fall off. The foam seat is also an annoyance because you have to remove it in order to empty out the basin. Do not recommend!

For trips out, we use the Potette Plus in the back of my SUV: http://www.amazon.com/Kalencom-2-in-1-Potette-Plus-Blue/dp/B0016L0MMS/.

catsnkid
09-07-2012, 09:28 AM
We have 4 potties! The first year cars one, a diego, and 2 ikea potties. Iniatally the other ones came in handy for bladder but DS started to not want to use the "big potty" for #2 and the ikea ones were perfect for making him more comfortable. The price is right too!

Mommy_Mea
09-07-2012, 06:59 PM
We have Bjorn, and it is okay (but I haven't used anything else to compare it to). I don't like that when DS1 stands and pees, that it runs in between the insert and the back and gets on the floor and all over the inside. It is easy to clean, but still is a mess!

Also, DS1 has rarely used it. He has always preferred using the "big boy potty". Our big breakthrough on the three day bootcamp potty training was realizing that he just wanted to use the regular toilet. Just a heads up, another baby item that might not get a lot of use :)

twotimesblue
09-08-2012, 11:22 AM
We have the Bjorn potty chair, the Bjorn trainer toilet seat and a Potette Plus for travel. Love them all, but DS was only convinced to try the 'big boy' toilet when we let him pick a horrible Elmo toilet seat from Target. Totally impractical, slides around the toilet and a pig to clean... But it did the trick and now the Elmo one is 'broken' he is happy with the Bjorn!

hellokitty
09-08-2012, 11:55 AM
We have all three baby bjorn seats (had to drive an hr to buy these!), the high back, the no back and the toilet rim. They are all fantastic. When my kids first started, we would keep the high back chair in our main floor bathroom and the no back one in the upstairs bathroom. When they are better potty trained, I put the no back one in the car (for emergencies) and we switch to having one bathroom using the toilet ring instead. The combo of three is probably the more expensive way, but has offered us a lot of flexibility too. I know there are some copies off of the baby bjorn seats now (basically, the very simple bowl design with very few crevices), that would work well too. My sil has a frog one, I think it's by fisher price, it reminds me of the high back bjorn one, but looks cuter.

I will say though that we have had a crappy toilet ring potty seat before (spongy, and it soaked up pee, UGH!), and by far I think that the baby bjorn toilet ring seat is definitely worth the $, as far as that style of potty chair goes. So, I would be flexible on the other two, since I know that ikea and other brands make something similar, probably for cheaper. However, for the ring seat, make sure you get the bb brand.

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2012, 12:06 PM
High backed Bjorn!

Sweetum
09-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Baby Bjorn. The removable insert makes it convenient to take it out making it a perfect portable potty.

chillinoutmaxin
09-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Ikea!!! It's all one piece and so easy to clean! Keeps them in that good squatting position.