PDA

View Full Version : what books are good for Kindergartner?

Mommy2Two
09-06-2012, 12:56 PM
DD loves when we read her books and loves all kinds of books.

Now that she is in K, they expect us to read 4 books a week. I am a bit lost.

Anyone suggest good books for that level. She is starting to read, but mostly these would be the books for me to read to her.

elbenn
09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
The Frog and Toad books are adorable.

http://www.amazon.com/Frog-Toad-Collection-Read-Book/dp/0060580860/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346951787&sr=8-1&keywords=frog+and+toad

georgiegirl
09-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Henry and Mudge (and Annie and Snowball) are cute too. I would just head to your local library and let your daughter pick out some books that appeal to her.

klwa
09-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Go to the library & look around the kids section. Usually there are plenty of books that will be one night reads. Dr. Suess. Toad & Frog. The Pinkalicious books.

brittone2
09-06-2012, 01:32 PM
There are some great read aloud suggestions in the archives.

Here are some we've liked but they are chapter books and most wouldn't work for 4 per week. I just reread your OP and realized you will probably want/need shorter books.

Mr Popper's Penguins
E.B. White (obviously Charlotte's Web is pretty sad, so YMMV with how she'd do with books like that)
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Strawberry Girl
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
Wizard of Oz (free in the public domain if you would like to use an e-reader)
Little House on the Prairie series
The Boxcar Children series (the first one is the best; maybe save the subsequent ones for independent reading when she's ready)
Uncle Wiggly
Cynthia Rylant has some shorter early chapter books with pictures (Thimbleberry Stories, The Lighthouse Family, Cobblestreet Cousins)
The Thornton Burgess books are free in the public domain and there are LOTS of them.
DD will listen to things like Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare although I probably wouldn't start with that
My Father's Dragon
Paddington
We're reading The American Girl books right now as part of a co-op class; the books are tied into a literature circle and some of our study of history. Some of them have scarier or more suspenseful parts but they've been fine.
The Doll People (series)
Pippi books (and others by the same author like Children of Noisy Village)
Misty of Chincoteague
DS1 always loved Roald Dahl but I haven't done those with DD yet

This list is great and sortable by age. Cross check because some may be scarier, too sad, etc. for your DC, depending on tolerance.
http://satorismiles.com/childrens-book-list/sortable/ (again these are chapter books, not sure if you can do something like 4 chapters per week or not vs. 4 shorter books, although picture books are great too and often have more advanced vocab).

Shorter books/picture books:
The Oxcart Man is a great fall picture book
Beatrix Potter
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
Fancy Nancy
Miss Spider's Tea Party
Woody, Hazel, and Little Pip, or Peter in Blueberry Land. Very charming illustrations. Woody, Hazel, and Little Pip is very fallish.
ditto Frog and Toad.

wendibird22
09-06-2012, 01:35 PM
DD1, who just started K, has been enjoying the Judy Moody series. We read it to her.

ett
09-06-2012, 02:01 PM
If you're looking for books to read to her, any advanced picture books would be great for reading out loud. I usually save the early reader books like Henry and Mudge for the child to read themselves.

Here are some picture book author suggestions:
Bill Peet
Virginia Lee Burton
Kevin Henkes
Leo Lionni
Elsa Beskow
Chris Van Allsburg

Take your DD to the library and have her pick out whatever books interests her.

It sounds like if the teacher wants you to read 4 books/week to her, then she's talking about picture books and not chapter books.

elbenn
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Richard Scarry books are good, too.