PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's DC go to one nap before 1 year of age?

melwe
09-06-2012, 04:20 PM
DS has only been taking one nap for the past 2 and 1/2 weeks. He will be one year in less than 2 weeks. He used to take 2 naps: one am and one pm. The time he went down and length of time spent sleeping would vary, but typically the two naps would total about 3 hours. About the time he started napping once daily, he was sick. He had a cold and was teething. Everyone in the house got the cold and it was not fun! My cold lasted about 3 days, and I still have some residual congestion a week later.

For naps, we usually put him in his crib with paci. I will go give him the paci back if he is crying after about 5-10 minutes. After about 30 minutes of fussing, I usually give up. Now he will only fall asleep for one of these naps. It has varied between the am and pm nap, but he usually sleeps for the am nap. He will sleep for about 2-3 hours for one of the naps and will not sleep for the other. Usually by the end of the day, he is crabby but can be distracted with change of scenery or new toys.

His afternoon sleep schedule has been interrupted on some of the days because my mom has to pick up DD for Kindergarten. I don't know.

I'm just not ready for one nap yet!

SnuggleBuggles
09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Yep, ds2 never took 2 naps/ day once he was out of the early months, sleeping all the time phase.

waitingforgrace
09-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Absolutely. Even DD2 only takes 1 nap for maybe an hour.

okinawama
09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
My little guy was on one nap right at 12 months. For us, if he took a morning nap he wouldn't fall asleep for the afternoon nap until 4/430, and that was just too late. We decided to make the switch to one nap (around 1130/12 at first) and then did a bed time of 6:00 or so while he adjusted to the new schedule. If it's 6:00 or later and your little guy is fussy, I'd try putting him down for the night.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-06-2012, 04:39 PM
i moved DD to 1 nap a day at 9 months. it was for my own sanity mostly as i couldn't deal with having 2 little ones on different nap schedules..i'd never get a break!

i love having 1 nap a day..so much easier in terms of scheduling things.

mmommy
09-06-2012, 05:47 PM
DD1 dropped to 1 nap around 10 months.

amom526
09-06-2012, 06:42 PM
If you want to try to keep him on 2 naps, you could try offering him a 30-45 minute nap in the morning, and then put him down for a long afternoon nap 3-4 hours later. DS napped from 930-10 and from 1-3 ish for a few more months after he turned one. But this only works if your child can cope with being woken up from a nap. DS also wakes up suoer early, so there was no way I could switch him to one nap at that point, because it would have been wayyy too early.

citymama
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Yes, DD1 did at around 10 months, and DD2 right before she turned 1.

Smillow
09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
At 11 months, DS went to one nap. It took another few months for that nap to last more than an hour. Those were some tough months....

DualvansMommy
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Two naps usually works if your little one wakes up relatively late in the mornings? My DS dropped his morning nap at 11am which usually last for an hour. Now he's down to one nap that last for 2 hours to 2 and half, around 1230 or 130 depending how tiring his morning went. I like this structure better, cuz he would be down for the night by 730pm, whereas before with 2 naps, he wouldn't be tired till 9pm! I can schedule and do things with DS lot easier nowadays at 15 months old & been that way since 10 months old.

melwe
09-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the responses. So yeah, I'm pretty sure we are a one-a-day napper. Today he napped from 10a-12:30p. No afternoon nap, nothing, and we had a 30 minute car ride. He normally has no problems sleeping in the car.

I was just getting used to the two nap schedule, and now he has to change it up. ;) C'est la vie.

We'll just have to adjust somehow. We work late in the evening, and on work days, we are usually not even home until after 7. The earliest we can probably get him to bed is 8pm. Poor guy... It makes for a loooong afternoon.

Smillow
09-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I was just getting used to the two nap schedule, and now he has to change it up.

Yeah, DS went from 3 to 2 naps @ 9 months, so only 2 months with 2 was hardly any adjustment time. And in the beginning the one nap was early! Poor kid practically didn't eat lunch for months....

Philly Mom
09-07-2012, 03:25 AM
At 10 months DD went to one nap. We still sometimes struggle to keep her up in the morning especially if we are in the car but we try to put her down between 12:30 and 1. At daycare she goes down at 1.

Mommy_Mea
09-07-2012, 08:06 AM
At home, ds2 (14 months) still takes two naps, but he had been taking one nap at daycare since he was 8 months old, so very possible :-) I remember when ds1 went to one nap, I stressed over the change in schedule, but once I got used to it, I preferred it, so much more we could do! Now we are back to the two nap schedule with ds2, and I look forward to when he drops the second nap!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Tinochka
09-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I did the same, because DC2 had a cat nap 2nd time around and I never got a break.. Loved 1, but long 2-2,5 hours nap for both at the same time...

i moved DD to 1 nap a day at 9 months. it was for my own sanity mostly as i couldn't deal with having 2 little ones on different nap schedules..i'd never get a break!

i love having 1 nap a day..so much easier in terms of scheduling things.