PDA

View Full Version : lightweight, compact and all terrain for a newborn

readyforever
09-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Due to my second in two weeks and just found out today that it will be another C-section. :( My original plan was to use a carrier w/ the new baby till I could get to big city to see the options I'm considering in-person. I'm not sure I will be able to babywear while I'm healing so the new plan is to buy one online in the next couple of days.

What I would like:
* somewhat compact fold as the stroller, when not in use, will have to live in the back of my Sienna, along with DS's wheelchair (house is small w/o a garage and my son's vista was stolen off my porch)
* somewhat all-terrain - I live in a city where the sidewalks are in bad shape and frequently visit parks
* light-wight - I think 24lbs is the max but would really prefer something lighter)
* reversible-seat - I'm not sure if this is a necessity but my DS required it so I'd like it to be an option
* compatible with infant seat - I just bought the Be-Safe b/c I found a really good deal but can return or sell it if the stroller and seat are not compatible
* Bassinet option - This isn't a requirement but might a nice feature,
* second seat or stroller board - This is not as important as the other things. My DS is 6 and is very small so it might be useful to have the option for a second seat or ride-on capacity BUT he does have a wheelchair for when he needs it. (He has nervous system and metabolic disorder that occasionally causes him to be too weak to walk)

I was originally planning on buying the B-Ready but recently saw one and it just seems really big! I was thinking of buying a used Frog off Craigslist but I've read the fold can be a hassle. Maybe the Indie? Valco Spark? Cam 3? BJCS?

I just can't tell from reading reviews and looking at specs. Any advice would be appreciated!!

abh5e8
09-10-2012, 12:07 AM
hmm...seems like a Bee might be a good option.

hapimommy
09-10-2012, 01:52 AM
I really love my 2006 frog. The fold is a hassle, but since I usually kept ds rear facing in the vista, it takes just as many steps to fold as the frog. I honestly think it does everything well, except the fold. Hth!

legaleagle
09-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I would not do the bee over bad sidewalks on purpose. The wheels get stuck on everything. The new valco spark seems like it would be perfect for you, though I'm not sure about infant seat compatibility.

roseyloxs
09-11-2012, 05:46 AM
I would not do the bee over bad sidewalks on purpose. The wheels get stuck on everything. The new valco spark seems like it would be perfect for you, though I'm not sure about infant seat compatibility.

:yeahthat: Agreed. I love my bee but it is definitely not for broken sidewalks. Cracks and the bee do not get along. I think I might look at both the spark and the versa.

readyforever
09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone!!
So the Indie isn't reversible so I think I will cross it off the list.
I realized that my original weight limit might be unattainable - most solidly built reversibles will be at least 24lbs, and that doe not include the air filled tires. Someone at another board recommended the Easywalker June. I really like the looks of it and wish it were available here!! I like the idea of the Spark but wish I could find a few reviews or at least see one IRL. I watched a video of the bassinet to seat transformation and I think I prefer having separate pieces for each. Leaning toward the Cam3 but having trouble committing to spending that much for something that isn't self propelled!

legaleagle
09-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I actually priced out the EW june from that dutch site that ships to the US. IIRC, it was around $800 so competitive with the cam. Extra for the bassinet, of course.

Jennifer626
09-11-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd buy a used Frog off craigslist. IMO, it's the best stroller for a newborn if you have rough sidewalks. I bought and sold one with my older daughter, and loved it, and just bought another one for the coming baby. The fold is a PITA but everything else is sooooo worth it.