PDA

View Full Version : Which Nintendo DS?

khalloc
09-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Is there just the Nintendo DSi XL and the Nintendo 3DS out now? What are the differences? I am thinking of getting one for my DD who will be 7 in November. It will either be a birthday or Christmas present. I need any help I can get! Thanks!

Will there be a new one coming out for the holidays that I should hold out for?

KrisM
09-07-2012, 03:12 PM
There is the DS Lite (still found some places), DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, and 3DS XL.

The Lite is the oldest. It also plays Gameboy Advance games.

We have Lites and I'm not completely familiar with what the other versions have. But, I think they all have a camera and internet capabilities. The XL refers to bigger screens.

DS1 has a Lite and would like a 3DS XL for Christmas :)

ETA: I don't know if there is a new one coming, but the 3DS XL just came out in July or August this year.

Twin Mom
09-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Get a 3DS - either the XL or regular size. We made the mistake of getting DS the DSi last year b/c I thought the 3D would be bad for his eyes but you can turn the 3D off. The newest games come out for the 3DS and can't be played on any of the other models. Guess what DS is asking for this year for his b-day?

KrisM
09-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Get a 3DS - either the XL or regular size. We made the mistake of getting DS the DSi last year b/c I thought the 3D would be bad for his eyes but you can turn the 3D off. The newest games come out for the 3DS and can't be played on any of the other models. Guess what DS is asking for this year for his b-day?

I agree with this. I kind of wish we had just gone that way. But, DS1 bought the Lite from his cousin for $50 with 10 games, including some Mario games, so it was a great deal. I am pretty sure he'll get a 3DS for Christmas, since he's asking for it and rarely has much on his wish list. And, the games coming out that he'd like are 3DS. They still make new games for the regular systems, but they are the lower priced games it seems.

Now to decide if the XL is worth the extra cost or not!

ray7694
09-08-2012, 12:32 PM
My ds had a DS lite for years and finally he got a 3DS for his birthday. He loves it. The nice thing is you can play non 3D games on it so our old games work and he has a few 3D games.

khalloc
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Cool. Thanks! Now to decide if this would be a good gift or not. DD hasnt asked for one, and I dont know that she even knows what it is. But she does have an old Leapster that she uses sometimes (but i think she has totally outgrown it) and she does like to play games on the iPad.