PDA

View Full Version : When to move to chapter books?

jgenie
09-07-2012, 07:24 PM
DS1 is 4.5 and still loves his picture books. We have a ton and we visit the library weekly to check out more picture books. I keep reading threads about introducing chapter books but I'm clueless as to how to know he's ready. Do chapter books replace picture books? Anything else you want to share about chapter books? TIA

buddyleebaby
09-07-2012, 07:58 PM
My eldest is seven and we still read picture books together. :)
We also read chapter books together, and she reads chapter books on her own.
Doesn't have to be either/or in my opinion.

I introduced chapter books as part of our bedtime routine when she was younger- maybe 3 or 4? She and her sister would each choose a picture book for their bedtime story. After we read those I would read a chapter in a chapter book of my choosing.

Tenasparkl
09-07-2012, 08:01 PM
DS1 is 4.5 and still loves his picture books. We have a ton and we visit the library weekly to check out more picture books. I keep reading threads about introducing chapter books but I'm clueless as to how to know he's ready. Do chapter books replace picture books? Anything else you want to share about chapter books? TIA

My DD is turning 4 tomorrow and we just started chapter books recently. She still wants to read picture books too so we usually read a picture book or two and a chapter of a chapter book (Charlotte's Web etc.) before bed.

ahisma
09-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I think picture books are really important for kids. We have introduced chapter books, but still read picture books about half of the time (DS1 is almost 6, DS2 is 4). When reading just to DS2, we always, always read picture books.

Momit
09-07-2012, 08:11 PM
We introduced early reader type chapter books kind of accidentally several months ago. We went to an exhibit of artifacts from the Titanic and DS was captivated by the story of this giant boat boat sinking. So I bought the Usborne and Magic Tree House non-fiction books about the Titanic and we have read them literally almost every day for months. I just explained that chapter books aren't like his other books, sometimes you only read part and then save the rest for later, etc.

These are very short compared to books like Charlotte's Web, but they still have far more words than pictures and they are definitely divided into chapters. DS has much more interest in these than he has in the longer fiction stories we've read.

We do still read picture books and even board books (ones like Boynton with silly rhymes, or Thomas ones) a lot, it has definitely not been a matter of stopping one and starting the other.

acmom
09-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I think picture books are really important for kids. We have introduced chapter books, but still read picture books about half of the time (DS1 is almost 6, DS2 is 4). When reading just to DS2, we always, always read picture books.

:yeahthat: I totally agree that picture books are really important for kids. I think chapter books are wonderful too, but I think they have to be introduced to be read along with picture books not in place of them. When I was teaching K and 1st, I often heard students tell me that they were "done" with picture books or they were too old for them and it was really hard to change that attitude once it was established. It was such a shame bc there are so many wonderfully written picture books that have themes and stories that are aimed at 5 and up, rather than preschoolers. So to replace picture books with chapter books is really depriving children of so many wonderful books.

I like the idea of reading some of each every day and talking about how they are different from each other but both great to read! I tried to do this in the classroom and will try to do it at home when we start chapter books too. My kids are 4 and 2 - we have not introduced chapter books yet and probably won't for a little while even with the 4 year old. There is such a wealth of great picture books and I feel like there is plenty of time to move on to the chapter books. I also think that the subject matter and themes of many chapter books are too mature (socially/emotionally, not intellectually) for most young children.

chillinoutmaxin
09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I think chapter books are a great way to continue a story. I'll sometimes read one at lunch. Not as a replacement for picture books, just in addition! We've always read them the Bible, which is like a chapter book. If you're interested in reading them a Bible you can hit me up for ideas.

(This is all assuming your child is being read TO. If he's reading on his own, his eyes probably aren't going to develop enough for small print until much later than 6. That's why the leveled readers have big print that gradually gets smaller as the books get more difficult.)

maestramommy
09-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I remember trying out a Magic Treehouse book on Dora earlier this year. We got a ton of them handed down from older cousins. She wasn't too interested. But she got a Junie B. Jones book for her bday last year (turned 6), and really liked it. Once she discovered she could borrow them from the library she was all over it. She borrows one from the town library and one from the school library. She like us to read them to her, but she is also able to read them to herself now.

Arwyn and Laurel enjoy hearing the Junie B books, but it doesn't hold their attention long. But they enjoy Kevin Henkes books, as well as stuff like Snowy Day, Little Critter books, and still even the old Boyton books. And they're still not tired of Eric Carle. Even Dora still likes these books if she only has time for a short one.

brittone2
09-07-2012, 09:19 PM
We use both, and I think both are very valuable. Picture books often have more complex language and may be more thought provoking than many chapter books.

My DS1 had a really good attention span and enjoyed continuing a story. He was listening to chapter books by age 3. That wasn't in lieu of picture books, but he really enjoyed chapter books too. He also read independently very early, and enjoyed reading himself chapter books from a fairly early age. As a PP said, sometimes it was challenging to find books with acceptable content because he was young and also has always been on the sensitive side.
DD has been listening to chapter books for a long time as well. She was 3 but probably closer to 4. By 4 she was solidly interested in listening to them. That's partly because she sees DS1 read them, and since we HS, we do a *lot* of read alouds. Sometimes I read over breakfast and/or lunch, or we go outside and read for a while, and then read more throughout the day and at bedtime. So if I was reading something geared toward DS1, she would just listen in anyway. She still likes picture books and we read them regularly, but she enjoys a long story that continues for a while. She and DS1 are often really sad when one of our read alouds ends, but thankfully, there are always more books :D

Katigre
09-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Chapter books become read alouds and we still do picture books over here. Right now we do chapter books that are a 5th-6th grade reading level with DS (kids can comprehend books several grade levels ahead of what they can read independently, which is why reading aloud is so important until middle school at least!). DS is in 1st grade and likes when I read picture books too.

brittone2
09-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Chapter books become read alouds and we still do picture books over here. Right now we do chapter books that are a 5th-6th grade reading level with DS (kids can comprehend books several grade levels ahead of what they can read independently, which is why reading aloud is so important until middle school at least!). DS is in 1st grade and likes when I read picture books too.
:yeahthat: My 5 yo has no problem listening to Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare and both kids will listen to some pretty amazing things. Our read aloud times are a favorite activity around here.

okinawama
09-07-2012, 10:37 PM
When I was going through college (major el. ed. with a minor in reading) they told as a rule of thumb, most children will be able to comprehend a read aloud book that is 2 levels about their independent reading level.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-08-2012, 01:13 AM
DD is in Kinder and I am reading her a Ramona book. We have been reading chapter books for a year or so. We still read some picture books, too.

Simon
09-08-2012, 05:42 PM
We moved to chapter books between age 2 and 3. Very basic ones, but Cynthia Rylant (Popleton or Henry and Mudge) wrote some excellent ones.

Now we do more advanced books. We just finished The Incredible Journey and over the summer read the first two volumes of Story of the World just for fun. Now we're reading The BFG (Big Friendly Giant).