PDA

View Full Version : Custom fabric sites & suggestions to go with theme

Mali
09-09-2012, 04:18 PM
After flirting with a very nice willow tree with bunnies vinyl wall art that my husband vetoed (he refuses to have bunnies in the baby's room; apparently watching the animated movie of Watership Down at too young an age has traumatized him), so we're doing an Alice in Wonderland theme (more of the Disney animated 1951 version).

While I don't want everything in the room to be super matchy (and I couldn't anyway since it's not one of the currently super popular Disney films), I'm having a difficult time finding bedding or fabrics that I like that would fit in while still allowing for non-custom pieces (like solid color crib sheets) to be used.

Are there any other custom fabric sites you know of that sell fabric by the yard? I've been looking at spoonflower and etsy, but most etsy fabrics I've found are pieces and I haven't found a fabric on spoonflower that jumps out at me yet.

The fabric would mainly be used for window treatments, crib skirt, and possibly a throw for the glider/rocker/recliner I want in the room. Between myself, mom, and stepmom, we're all pretty crafty so sewing the items ourselves is definitely a possibility.

As far as colors, I'm leaning towards blue/green/yellow/cream although the film is so colorful that any balance would work (the wall art is stills from the movie).

All suggestions or ideas are welcome. :)

larig
09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd probably use spoonflower if I wanted to design my own. I thought YoungHouseLove had great tutorial on designing your own fabric. (http://www.younghouselove.com/2012/04/clara-petersik-fabric-designer/)

If I wanted ready-made fabric I'd look at fabricfairy.com, sewmamasew.com (there are some cool florals there that look kind of like the garden of mean flowers) (http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/green--COGREEN.html) fabricdepot.com is another good source.

jerigirl
09-09-2012, 07:13 PM
fabric. com
hawthornethreads. com

larig
09-09-2012, 09:19 PM
BTW, Mali, welcome to the BBB! It's a really nice place to hang out--even when we have political discussions we're pretty nice about it. Hope you find it as helpful as I have for the past 4 years. :waving4:

Mali
09-10-2012, 01:39 AM
:)

Thanks for the welcome and the links! I can't tell you how much time I've spent on spoonflower waiting for the "right" fabric to appear (the elusive I'll know it when I see it) and totally missed that I could create my own. Now to see if I'm artsy enough to come up with something I like if I can't find a fabric.