PDA

View Full Version : Overdue when to have tests done?

ExcitedMamma
09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Apparently being a girl my DC#2 has decided to be fashionably late. The cramps I've been having still aren't gearing up for active labor. My due date was yesterday so I'm 40 Wks + 1 day. I am ok with letting her cook and want to avoid an induction but at the same time I do want the tests done to make sure everything is going well. Unfortunately my OB was suddenly out when I showed up for my appt today and a family practice Dr. checked me out and stated I should get testing done, she wasn't sure if they did just u/s or NST, before I'm 41 Wks but there were no appts available. Both my OBs nurse and the fill in Dr. said they don't even like patients going to 41 Wks but the receptionists were impossible when I tried to get an appt. My next scheduled appt with my OB is a week from Wed when I'll be 41 Wks + 3 days. Is that too long to go without a check to make sure baby is doing well, placenta's good and fluid is good?

I was all geared up to fight an induction and just have tests to keep checking on everything but now I'm worried I'm getting no care! So much for the usual CYA I was expecting! Please tell me what you think and when those tests should be done? And if there's nothing to worry about in waiting. Thank you!!

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I started having NSTs and BPPs at 41w, every 3 days.

swrc00
09-10-2012, 07:43 PM
When I was pregnant with DS they scheduled me for an appointment at 41 weeks exactly. My practice does not do any testing until 41 weeks.

jam224
09-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I would probably try to get in a little sooner. I don't think it's unreasonable to want a NST at 41wks or 41wks + 1day. That said, presuming your pregnancy has been healthy otherwise, there is NOTHING to worry about in waiting. Not everyone has a 28-day cycle and that little plastic wheel the OB uses isn't perfect. ;) I hope that the little one decides to make an appearance before you need a NST though! :)

infocrazy
09-11-2012, 04:42 AM
When scheduling my 40 wk appt they wouldn't even let me go over 7 days between appts. I went at 40w2d. He wanted to do a nst and u/s for fluid AT 41 wks exactly but since that was a Sunday he scheduled me for the Fri so 40w5d. DS4 looked great but we scheduled an induction for mon though because I was getting nervous. Fwiw it was a quick and successful vbac start to finish 5 hours.

klwa
09-11-2012, 06:46 AM
With DS, I was scheduled for my first NST at 41 weeks 1 day (according tot he doctor's office calcs.) He was born the day before I was due to go in for it.

flashy09
09-11-2012, 08:26 AM
My office was like yours and did not want me to even go to 41 weeks. I was offered an induction on my due date or at 40 and 2 days, which I did not want. So I had a NST and an ultrasound (to check fluid levels) at 40 and 2 and they agreed to wait until the next night to induce me...with Cytotec, which really scared me. Luckily I went into labor on my own so when I checked in the next night, I didn't need to be induced. It took a long time to get her out, but I had her at 40 and 4 days with no problems.

roseyloxs
09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
I would probably try to get in a little sooner. I don't think it's unreasonable to want a NST at 41wks or 41wks + 1day. That said, presuming your pregnancy has been healthy otherwise, there is NOTHING to worry about in waiting. Not everyone has a 28-day cycle and that little plastic wheel the OB uses isn't perfect. ;) I hope that the little one decides to make an appearance before you need a NST though! :)

:yeahthat: I (as a baby) was 3 weeks overdue and completely healthy! Both of my brothers came 2 weeks late as well with absolutely no complications of any kind.

I went 41 weeks with my DS and all they did was weekly stress test. One dr tried to push me to schedule an induction during my 40 week appt. I pushed that I have until 42 weeks which she agreed was true and again tried to push for a 41 week induction. It boggles my mind. If its safe until week 42, then I will go until week 42, thank you very much. DD uncomplicated things and came on her due date. Pretty sure that was the last time she has ever chosen to be punctual. :hysterical:

marymoo86
09-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I was checked at 40w3days and the U/S showed I had fluid only in the cord. I was marched across the street to the hospital and admitted. Luckily my mom was there as she wanted to see the baby at the U/S appt. Good thing. She went home and got my bag and supplies as I had no clue.