PDA

View Full Version : do I really need both swing and bouncer?

wangstar
09-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm liking the FP Zen Collection cradle swing (http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/babygear/products/43985) and the bouncer (http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/babygear/products/43979).

Do I need the swing and the bouncer? Can I get away with just having either one? If so, which one?

Also, I'll porbably use it instead of a bassinet since I don't plan on getting one.

THANKS!

Giantbear
09-11-2012, 01:51 PM
We lived by the bouncer, and used the swing to help naps. I thought it was real useful. We got a fisher price bouncy for around $35 i think

kaharris83
09-11-2012, 01:53 PM
That swing seat actually comes out and sits on the floor I believe. DS1 never liked the bouncer we had. He'd scream his head off when we'd try to put him in it. The swing on the other hand saved our lives. DS1 slept in it for a long, long, long time. In fact I didn't put it away until the morning I woke up and found him hanging out sideways in it, he was giggling but it could have been a bad situation. He was 9 months old. :bag

So I vote go for the swing. And if you get that Zen swing I'm almost positive the seat comes off so it is similar to a bouncer.

vonfirmath
09-11-2012, 01:56 PM
We used just a bouncer with DS and both the bouncer and swing (for the first 4 months) with DD.

DD still uses her Infant-To-Toddler Rocker now, at 13 months old. (What we used as a bouncer at first)

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Some kids like one, some like the other, some like both! We used both, vibrating bouncy more.

Dr C
09-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Just get the bouncer. It's smaller and cheaper. We never had a swing with DS and never missed it. You're better off just using the crib for nighttime sleep (one could argue for naps too) and not having the baby sleep in the bouncer or the swing (some really high needs kids only sleep well in a swing but I wouldn't plan on it--it's just not as safe as a crib). If it turns out your little one is really fussy and you think it would help, borrow a swing from a friend (to see if it helps) or buy one when the time comes.

wangstar
09-11-2012, 02:15 PM
You're better off just using the crib for nighttime sleep (one could argue for naps too) and not having the baby sleep in the bouncer or the swing (some really high needs kids only sleep well in a swing but I wouldn't plan on it--it's just not as safe as a crib).

Dr C, I was planning on putting the newborn in the crib but then I was told by many mommies that it's easier to have the baby bed side in the first few months (for convenience purposes).

wangstar
09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
The product demo shows that the seat comes out, I wonder if it's just a seat or it can be used as a bouncer?

okinawama
09-11-2012, 02:59 PM
my sons hated the swing and the bouncer with a fire of a thousand suns. We didn't use either of them for more than seconds at a time. I wish I had bought them used or even waited to buy them until I knew if my LO's were going to use them.

If you're thinking of using the swing for sleep have you thought about the Fischer Price rock and play? I've heard excellent things about it and wish I had one for both my boys.

swissair81
09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
My baby (and the baby before her) hate swings. I have a bouncer in one room and one of those infant to toddler rockers (that technically belongs to big sister, but I put the baby in it when I need my hands free). I have a bassinet that she actually sleeps in sometimes. That's pretty much the extent of my equipment- oh I have a baby carrier too.

lizzywednesday
09-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Dr C, I was planning on putting the newborn in the crib but then I was told by many mommies that it's easier to have the baby bed side in the first few months (for convenience purposes).

Are you registering for a Pack-and-Play or other play yard?

Many have a "bassinet" feature, which is fine for bedside at night and it's not outgrown as quickly as a standard bassinet might be because it's part of the play yard.

We have one similar to this one:

http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1770602

I didn't like the changing station, but the "bassinet" was actually super-useful 'til my DD hit 4 months.

larig
09-11-2012, 03:13 PM
we borrowed a swing whose seat was also a bouncer. Best of both worlds. PPs who say some kids like one and some like the other and some like both/neither are totally right. You won't know what yours likes until he/she is born.

wangstar
09-11-2012, 03:24 PM
@okinawama - i saw the rock and play, that's how it lead me to the other FP stuff

@lizzywednesday - i did register for a pack and play, similar to the one that you linked.

@larig - any chance you remember the brand of the swing/bouncer?

edurnemk
09-11-2012, 04:10 PM
We use both, but we got a much longer use out of the bouncer. For sleep however I think the swing is better/safer. I can't imagine having the baby almost at floor level in the bouncer, and it can't be too comfortable once the baby starts moving around more.
I wouldn't personally use it for nighttime, it is much easier to have them by your bed, but I'd get a bassinet / pack n play / cosleeper for that (we have a bassinet and a PnP with bassinet). You could also set the crib in your room for the first few months.

acmom
09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
We had both - DD liked and used both, DS used mostly the bouncy seat (and we had a rock n play for him that was really helpful). We had the space and kept them on different floors so we always had a place to put the baby down.

If I had to pick only one, I would pick the bouncy seat (or the rock n play) bc it is so much more portable and takes up less room.

ETA: We didn't use either the bouncer or swing for sleep in our room. We used the pack n play/bassinet (with DD) or rock n play (with DS who had reflux) next to our bed until we moved them to the crib. We did use the bouncy seat and/or swing for naps some when they were little.

Dr C
09-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Lots of mommies do like having their babies close. My experience was a little different--DS literally didn't fit in our room at the time and we had cats... so for safety and practical reasons he was in his own room, in his own crib from day 1. It actually worked out just fine! With DD we had the option to keep her in our room and it lasted about 2 weeks... we all slept better with her in her own space. But i recognize that many moms want the baby with them--and that's totally ok as long as the baby is in a safe sleeping space.

Safety wise, I think you're probably a little better off with the baby in your room. But IMHO having the baby in something that is not approved for sleep (a swing or bouncy seat) sort of negates that.

If you have the space and budget, I'd buy a pack n Play or similar to put the baby in at night, with a bassinet feature. That way you have the baby close to you, and you can get use of the pack N Play for several years afterward (as a portable crib--for your own kids during travel or by other kids who visit you).

wangstar
09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
The house we plan on moving into has 2 stores. I plan on leaving the PnP downstairs for naps and diaper changes. Unfortunately, I don't think our future bedroom is big enough to squeeze in the PnP.
I was planning on putting the newborn in the crib from day 1 but a few moms have suggested that the newborn to sleep bed side for ease of feeding.
I looked at the FP rocker and napper and thought it would work well as a bedside sleeper for the first few months. I also thought I might just get a stroller with the bassinet option and use that as the bedside sleeper.
It seems like the more I research the more confused I am about what to get.
I guess for pure entrainment purposes, it will depend on the baby as to which he'd prefere more between the bouncer and the swing, or neither.
As a sleeper, I guess neither the bouncer or the swing seems to be a good option.

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Agree- bouncer or swing = not a great plan for night time sleep. We never planned to co-sleep but we wound up co-sleeping with both kids. We only did it with ds1 for the 1st 3 weeks (he hated being in his crib before then) but ds2 we did it the first 5m. We were all about getting sleep however we could. Just be flexible with your ideas b/c babies have their own plans. :) A Pack n Play Lite is a nice option for your room though, with the bassinet feature. It's enough smaller that it could work.

AngB
09-12-2012, 06:21 AM
We only had a swing and the FP infant to toddler rocker, we got a lot more use out of the swing. The swing was a baby shower gift, the infant to toddler rocker I got on Craigslist for I think $10. We have 2 big dogs so it was nice to have something to set the baby in that was off the floor.

wangstar
09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
That's a good point about the dogs. We have 2 medium size dogs and having the baby too low on the ground may not be a good idea. Also, since one our dog is a lazy beagle, he might want to sleep in the bouncer. LOL

emilyinvc
09-19-2012, 02:52 PM
I registered for this one, Fisher Price 2-in-1 swing & seat: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Luv-Spacesaver-Swing-Seat/dp/B0042D69X8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1348080620&sr=8-6&keywords=fisher+price+2-in-1+swing+%26+seat

I saw in an ad that Graco makes one, too, but it was quite a bit pricier. I figure with the FP price if they like one and not the other, it's fine.

emily